Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 07-25-2017, 04:17 PM

Default 11R as the main audio interface?

Hi all.

I've had my 11R for nearly four years and I've been happy with it as an amp emulator but I wonder if I've grown out of it's usefulness as an audio interface. I have to question, is it really powerful enough to be the main audio interface in a studio? Is it built to cope with large numbers of tracks?
Firstly, I find that I can't use mine below a buffer setting of 256, despite having a fairly powerful computer and doing optimisations in BIOS and Windows. I use Pro Tools 12 and Cubase 9 for different projects, sometimes requiring large numbers of VST Instruments but when I get clicks and pops during playback of one instance of an Omnisphere 2 Multi, without anything else playing I might add, I wonder about the 11R's capabilities. Should I be getting more than 10 or 12 tracks laid down before I have to freeze tracks. It's a great little amp and fx emulator but maybe I would be better with a dedicated audio interface for my larger multitrack sessions? Or can someone convince me that it should be good enough? Does it sound like I am doing something wrong? I do have to reset it at least once a day due to the output getting distorted. What do you think?
Old 07-25-2017, 05:20 PM

Default Re: 11R as the main audio interface?

You are talking about stuff that to first order is about your computer not the interface. If you want help on that post a SiSoft Sandra report and describe other useful info, sample rate, what things you have tried etc. You are mentioning some heavy weight plugins like Omnisphere, you largely get what you get with those.... don't use them when needing to track at lower buffer sizes.

And turn off ignore errors and see what errors are getting thrown (and don't accept pops and clicks).

If tracking latency is an issue the place to start is with clean installs and all third party plugins removed from the plugin folders and see what latency you can get down to (and look at the low latency option).

What latency do you need? For what? Can you just analog monitor for those applications so this issue goes away?