Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2012, 08:07 AM

Default Xpand2 no sound possible fix (worked for me)

I'VE HAD SUCCESS....I tried just about everything mentioned on this forum and other posts. End result was so very simple I feel like a knob for not trying it earlier.

I moved the xpand2.big file into Programs (x86)/Common Files/Digidesign/DAE/Plugins.

The folder is full of .rsr and .dpm files, so putting .big in there seemed a little strange...but it worked for me.

It was that simple. Xpand2 is now playing and I'm a very happy chappy.

Hope it works for you.

Cheerio from Butugly.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Xpand2 no sound possible fix (worked for me)

Woops, sorry...that's not quite correct...Re-booted the PC and something didn't take...I have since got it working again but it seems to be a quite convoluted process. More details soon.

Butugly
Old 07-21-2012, 04:00 AM

Alright...here it comes and it's long...this is for Windows 7. I'm on 64bit and I'm running PT10HD, so you may need to convert it a bit for other op systems.

These are the the folders and files I have that seem to work. Some of the files came from PT8 (xpand!) that I copied from another machine. PT9 might have the same files as PT8 but I'm unsure.

Just repeating...this is what I have added/manipulated and it's working for me, if it doesn't work for you then I'm sorry I'm about to waste your time.

OK, to start you'll need this attitude because it's convoluted.

First of all it appears the current Xpand! DPM file that loads with the latest install is a dud and is the reason mine wouldn't work. I know this because I swapped them a couple of times with the same result. I found the equivalent file in PT8 (on a different machine) and copied it to PT10.

The file from PT8 was located in Program Files\Common Files\Digidesign\DAE\Plug-Ins. You want Xpand! (not Xpand!.dpm...this is a RSR file). The version number I have is 2.02.10105 Xpand! Plug-In.

Copy this and replace the existing Xpand! DPM file in Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Digidesign\DAE\Plug-Ins in your PT10HD rig. You should have a bunch of .dpm and .rsr files with Xpand! and Xpand!.dpm (a RSR file) and the bottom.

There is a size difference between my PT8 and PT10 Xpand! file. The PT8 one is 13,197,583 bytes, PT10 version is 13,192,763...it's the 13,197,583 version I'm using.

Now,

Try and locate the folder that has all the presets in your PT10 (I'm not exactly sure where these. Mine are in Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Digidesign\DAE\Plug-In Settings\Xpand2. They can also be found in PT8 at Program Files\Common Files\Digidesign\DAE\Plug-In Settings\Xpand2 (if you use these, don't copy the Xpand! 1.0 folder across). You'll need these if you want presets. It will be a folder with lots of sub-folders (with titles like 01 Soft Pads, 02 Bright Pads etc through to 29 Multitimbral inclusive). In these folders are lots of .tfx files. When you find them, make a note of where they are as you'll need a copy of them.

Also, you'll need the xpand2.big file as well (it's about 1.5gig).

Now create (from scratch or add to the exising folders) the folder Program Files (x86)\Digidesign\Pro Tools Creative Collection\XPand2

and copy all of the sub-folders (01 Soft Pads etc) to it (I'm unsure if the capitalisation of XPand2 makes a difference but it's working for me).

Also copy the xpand2.big file into the XPand2 folder as well. You should have the 29 preset folders with the .big file at the bottom. If you don't find the presets then still put the .big file into the folder anyway. You should still get the sounds but no Presets.

Load Pro Tools. Insert Xpand2 in a stereo instrument track. Click on the insert to bring it up. You should see something in the "a" channel. It should be 001 Bright Pads Beneath The Waves+ (all going well).

Click on the down triangle next to Preset on the top bar. Mouse down to Setting Preferences, then Set Root Settings Folder... and left click. A new screen will appear for you to tell it where to find the Presets.

You want to navigate to the folder with the presets (Program Files (x86)\Digidesign\Pro Tools Creative Collection\XPand2). Then click use current folder. The window should disappear and you should be able to select Presets.

That's about all I have. Sorry it's so long and convoluted, but reading this is nothing compared to the hours I've wasted trying different things. It's working for me, hope it works for you. Remember, I found the current Xpand! DPM file (not the RSR file) to be a dud. You'll need to find one from a previous install, system, etc.

Regards,

Butugly
Old 08-27-2012, 07:30 AM

What I did to get xpand2 working was open up pro tools then click an insert and the Module apeared so I went to set up and preferences and change the language to Spanish then go to the xpand Module and click browse, scroll to you find the xpand2 folder and highlight it and click ok then close pro tools and reopen it , change the language back to English and close. If I missed something you can go to Sweetwater Sound and they have all the fixes.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:15 AM

The thing really PO's you, I bought PT9 to get the free PT10 update then the next update came 10.2.0 then Xpand inactive. It done the same thing with 10.0 but there was a fix if your Xpand module says cannot find Xpand2 big you could hit browse and find folder click ok change to Spanish close and reopen and change back to English but I can't find a fix for this so I went back to PT9, I miss the EQ channel strip but thats it and the way things are going I think I am going back to Sonar I spent more time recording than I did trying to fix things and thats the bottom line and the results are no different to the human ear. Pro Tools remind me of Harley Davidson....spending money and fixing stuff.