Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Studiologic SL-990XP 88-Note Weighted MIDI Controller

What do you think about this Keyboard controler?
This one
I like the price and the 88-Note weihted.
Thank you for your input.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Studiologic SL-990XP 88-Note Weighted MIDI Controller

To be honest, I lack the experience of many different models, so I am not able to base any comment on a comparison of different Master Keyboards.
But I just wanted to tell you that I am using a Fatar Studio 1100 (I think this is an previous model by Fatar) since a couple of years and I am quite happy with it.
I use it a lot for piano sounds, but also for drum patterns or pads.

But having seen all those "smart knob" controllers in Digi's new Virtual Instruments I think a modern Master Keyboard should also feature some hardware knobs to control them.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Studiologic SL-990XP 88-Note Weighted MIDI Controller

Yes... the Studiologic has very few MIDI controller functions. This may or may not be a disappointment depending on what ya need to use the controller for. Live... or basic synth contol, this would be fine. But if the goal is to control virtual instruments, this probably isn't the way to go IMHO. The first time you wanna assign a knob, fader or switch... or even control PT's transport via the controller, this keyboard has no such capability.
If this is important, might check out the M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 as that may be priced right too. The weighted action is a bit on the clunky side and does not transmit after touch via keyboard. But has no want for assignable/physical MIDI controller functions.
Brent