Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2017, 03:27 PM

Default Older PT sessions with SDII files

I know this has been talked about (but I can't locate the threads).

Older PT sessions that used the SDII audio files (Mac).
I know PT 10 would open the session just fine, give a dialog box saying you needed to convert the files. It would then do that and you just had to save the session as a new one.

Why in the world does PT 12 NOT do that?

I just converted over some older session and it took way, way too much work. Yes, it can be done, but all the renaming etc was a huge pain.
I would complain to Avid- but my support is over and I'm sure they would just say 'deal with it'.

Anyone - is there any real reason to not just have it do the conversion and link? It WILL convert, just a huge hassle.

Mark
Old 06-16-2017, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Older PT sessions with SDII files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
I know this has been talked about (but I can't locate the threads).

Older PT sessions that used the SDII audio files (Mac).
I know PT 10 would open the session just fine, give a dialog box saying you needed to convert the files. It would then do that and you just had to save the session as a new one.

I just converted over some older session and it took way, way too much work. Yes, it can be done, but all the renaming etc was a huge pain.
I would complain to Avid- but my support is over and I'm sure they would just say 'deal with it'.

Anyone - is there any real reason to not just have it do the conversion and link? It WILL convert, just a huge hassle.

Mark
renaming of what the audio files ?? confused by that statement ..

and SDII files have not been used in many years (i know Logic 9 might be able to see them) .. no one else is using them .. i stopped using SDII's when i knew they were going out of style (quite a few years ago now) and converted then ..

i keep PT10 around for exactly this task ..

NOTE: a few months back i demo'd the Twisted Wave Software .. it can do batch conversions of any type files .. i did a sound FX library of thousands of files and you can batch change names .. prefix, suffix's, etc .. numbering .. not that you need any of that extra stuff .. https://twistedwave.com

now the question is would pro tools see all these files and re-link them in PT11 to 12 .. good question .. would have to test that ..

do you have miles of old sessions to convert ?? who is using SDII's anymore .. curious !!

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 06-16-2017, 05:45 PM

Yes, I have a fair number of old sessions.

I have an old copy of PT- but I also have to use an older system to make it work. Sort of a hassle.
Yes, SDII had not been in use for a long time, but since PT12 will convert them, why not keep it like PT10 and open/convert the old sessions?
I'm sure lots of people have old sessions around and maybe want to revisit them or keep the archive update or whatever.

Seems a silly feature to drop.

(When linking, the name or 'ID' needs to match. Since I've seen older sessions NOT have that special file ID then the name needs to match. When converting, they get a .wav suffux, so that has to be removed.)
Old 06-16-2017, 08:03 PM

Apple announced impending incompatibility with their disk format over 15 years ago and transferring an SD2 file to a PC drive or sending an unzipped SD2 file over the internet will hose it. My point is that those files are living on borrowed time and anything important really ought to be converted ASAP.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:21 PM

I agree to convert.
What I don't understand, is since PT12 WILL convert them, why not keep the ability to open the old session, convert them and properly link them without spending huge amounts of time?
Old 06-16-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I agree to convert.
What I don't understand, is since PT12 WILL convert them, why not keep the ability to open the old session, convert them and properly link them without spending huge amounts of time?
Exactly! I have to keep an old hard drive for my laptop with a copy of Pro Tools 10 for just this reason. I have major artists that I manage archives for. I never know what I might need. I don't really want to spend 3 days converting, AND THEY DON'T REALLY WANT TO PAY ME FOR IT, but that ability will end someday. Open and convert would be a great feature and shouldn't be that hard. Then again, VI's shouldn't be that hard, since Logic and Cuebase and others can do it... Hmmm
Old 06-16-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Avid clearly said that PT10 is a bridge release between old world (RTAS/TDM/etc) and the new world (AAX/64bit/etc.) and much of the old code has been dropped in 11.0.0
Old 06-17-2017, 12:36 AM

Have not tried but this might be something:

http://audaptor.aurchitect.com

Jesper
Old 06-17-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesele View Post
Have not tried but this might be something:

http://audaptor.aurchitect.com

Jesper
hi Jesper, like the Twisted Wave software you can convert the files but will the PT Session File see them / relink them properly ??

i hear what Steve (extreme) is saying .. i have a few clients that have archives as well .. so i keep PT10 around as well for just this ..

Bob, you have it right, 15 years should be long enough to convert the files over ..

last year i had to get OS9 running on a borrowed old G3 or G4 to use a JAZ drive to get a boat load of files a guy never converted to something in the 20th century era .. haha .. PITA took me buying two different JAZ drives on ebay (1st one died after one disk) and then adapters and lots of Aspirin !!! took me weeks to work it out ..

so, having PT10 around is really not that bad .. right !!!

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 06-17-2017, 06:53 AM

>hi Jesper, like the Twisted Wave software you can convert the files but will the PT Session File see them / relink them properly ??

Yes, that's the big question, sorry but don't know.

Jesper