Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Where are the Promised AAX-DSP Plugins??

Quote:
Originally Posted by edadema View Post
Maybe we should start a List of who is not supporting AAX DSP. Ill start

Waves
Echo Farm

Please add to the list
Waves has made no statement about not supporting AAX DSP, regardless of what you claim that someone's cousin who knows a guy that used to work at Waves told somebody.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad jitter View Post
WaveShell?
WavesHell
Old 01-14-2012, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjguitar View Post
Is there a source for what was promised?
Yes, it is www.avid.com and here's a summary of what is promised:

1) PT10 software will support RTAS/TDM/AAX-native/AAX-DSP
2) TDM hardware will support RTAS/TDM/AAX-native
3) HDX hardware will support RTAS/AAX-native/AAX-DSP
4) Native hardware will support RTAS/AAX-native
5) PT11 software will support AAX-native/AAX-DSP
6) AAX-native support for various plugins will be released during early 2012
7) AAX-DSP support for various plugins will be released during late 2012
8) Not everything will be ported

So, the conclusion time:

a) If you need to get your DSP work done today, your TDM systems work with PT10 better than ever and have not magically become less productive. Throw in a couple of AAX-native plugs that make Native processing slightly more effective and more importantly give you peace of mind as in future-proofing your tools. Sticking with PT10 is safe for at least 3 years so if you doubt the roadmaps and timeframes of AAX support, then your safest bet would be to buy latest and greatest new TDM system now and by doing that you can expect that the hardware is going to work for that 3 years which it is perfectly supported as well.

b) If you want to take a look at what the new systems have to offer, you cannot get everything out of the box. You will lose TDM support and will have to live with RTAS/AAX-native for quite some time. You system might easily be less productive and support less plugins than your old and maxxed out TDM system but as an early adopter of HDX you would know that PT10 is transition time. Most AAX-DSP is not there this year, but you can expect support on or slightly before PT goes 64bit in v11 and that is when we will see which companies will or won't support the platform.

In short: PT10 runs best on TDM and PT11 runs best on HDX. AAX-native comes first and AAX-DSP later. Use what you need now, period.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
Waves has made no statement about not supporting AAX DSP, regardless of what you claim that someone's cousin who knows a guy that used to work at Waves told somebody.
Waves is not know for too many leaks as what is upcoming. I have seen stuff come from Waves in advance but it direct from them @ AES.
Waves has been a leader in 3rd party plug-ins since day one.
I don't think that they are about to relinquish that crown anytime soon.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:08 AM

Developing a mini app like a plugin is very complicated and requires a lot of testing to make sure it works as advertised. Better that it take longer and be done right, because the consequences of bad code can be very frustrating. I recall one not-to-be-named high profile, can't-do-without plugin manufacturer that released a firmware update which caused memory leaks even when it wasn't instantiated in the session. Just the fact that it was in the plugin folder caused sessions to crash after 15 or 20 minutes. The amount of lost productivity that caused is incalculable, not to mention how much engineering time was spent just trying to figure out what was causing the crashes, because it wasn't obvious.

You can't blame third party plugin manufacturers for taking their time. If there is a complaint to be made, it is that Avid probably should have delayed the release of HDX to allow for more development and testing.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:08 AM

I can't help but imagine these cards being released @ $4995 (no strings attached) with EVERY Avid plugin as AAX-DSP along with all Waves AAX-DSP.

COMPLETELY different story. The net gain in PR and income would be amazing.

Such a missed opportunity.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
I can't help but imagine these cards being released @ $4995 (no strings attached) with EVERY Avid plugin as AAX-DSP along with all Waves AAX-DSP.

COMPLETELY different story. The net gain in PR and income would be amazing.

Such a missed opportunity.
The net gain in income? the mercury bundle of waves is 10 k.. and you want to give it away with an hdx card plus all the plugins of avid at 2k less than what the card is worth on it's own?

You're math is flawed there.

Wave-T.com
Old 01-14-2012, 02:17 PM

no, no. $4995 for the card and maybe some/all of Avid's plugs. Plus the AVAILABILITY of AAX-DSP from Waves, that's what I meant.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:25 PM

For what it's worth I've been playing with some of the Softube stuff:

Metal Amp Room - I like alot. You can pull the gain down to clean and the two mics (with placement) give a lot of great sounds.

Trident A Range - Never used one but I like the character. New sound to me. Did some easy cleaning on toms.

Tube delay - Quick and easy to use. Took two seconds to dial in my sound.

I'll try a few more but these work with AAX DSP (the only one of their plugs according to their support that doesn't is the TSAR-1 reverb).

Carl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post

Trident A Range - Never used one but I like the character. New sound to me. Did some easy cleaning on toms.
I didn't give the Trident enough credit. It sounds amazing.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Closed Thread