Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-18-2009, 09:02 AM

Default Mobile Me & ProTools beware!

In the Mobile Me control panel, in the Synchronisation Tab, "Preferences" should not be selected as it will replace preferences in a computer with the preferences of another computer creating some problems.

Examples:
  1. In the BFD preferences there is the path to the Data file that can be different from one computer to the other. With preferences sync BFD would never stop to lose the link to the Data File.
  2. A corrupted preference file can "contaminate" other computers giving the impression of a problem that spread to other computers, or move around giving the impression of a sporadic, hard to trace problem, when in fact it's a simple corrupted preference file.
  3. A software may seem to magically change it's preferences.
  4. Running different versions of the same software on different computers could create strange problems as the software may end up with preference file from an older or newer version.

Digi, please add the "uncheck preferences synching in Mobile Me" to the general troubleshooting thread.

JC
Old 02-18-2009, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Mobile Me & ProTools beware!

200 years ago, the people responsible for MobileMe would have been hung in public.

If I ever said anything that people should consider dangerous as a premature heart attack it is this:

STAY AWAY FROM MOBILE ME BY APPLE

It will cause you wallet to be light $99 - and at one point your file WILL meet corruption.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:26 AM

Ha ha... that's good info about "preference syncing" I checked my machines, and they are all unchecked - I could definitely see how that could be a major problem.

Aside from that, I've got to say I've got a Great experience with .Mac / MobileMe in the last 8 years since 2000

Now, my calendar, contacts, e-mail, (My life) simultaneously appears in my pocket (iPhone) in my Office iMac, and my Studio, as well as my laptop.

I could be in Paris france, meet someone, enter their contact info into My iPhone, and book a session, and when I get back to the hotel, open my MacBookPro, the session is in the Calendar, the contact is in my address book, and at the same time, in my Calendar and address book at the studio, and office, in North America.

A few "Growing pains" with the recent transition to "MobileMe" but it's been pretty seamless.

OS X's built in WebDav client (iDisk) has always been a bit flakey, but for years I've used "Transmit" as my FTP/WebDav client, and it's been flawless uploading and downloading sessions, mixes, and files to clients, giving them immediate HTTP access to all files, regardless of platform.

The e-mail never gets spam, and I've never "Not gotten" a message (Unlike my domain e-mail which is pummeled, and the filters are so tight, "Good" mail often doesn't make it through)

All and all - for the $100.00 Bucks a year, for

- Complete Remote access (Files AND Vnc Screen Sharing) to all of my Machines, "Instantly appearing in the finder SideBar" no matter where I am in the world.
- 20 Gb of HTTP and WebDav Disk Space for transfering sessions and Mixes
- Spam Free e-mail
- Complete Sync between Office - Studio - Laptop & Hand Held
- instant publishing of Sites, Photo Galleries, Movie Clips for projects and client collaboration.

I actually would be a little "Crippled" without it with the workflow I've developed because of these services.

So... I'm just putting "My experience in" with MobileMe - hasn't been Bad at all.

I'll bet that "Preference Sharing" checkbox could change my experience pretty drastically though !

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 02-18-2009, 11:34 AM

+1 for Mobile Me
Simplified my life ENORMOUSLY!

(and thanks for the tip JC, fortunately NOT something I want sync'd either)

MacPro 7,1; 16 core OSX 13.5.2
PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 02-18-2009, 12:56 PM

I agree with everything David said.

Works great for me. Transmit and Filechute are a must. Although they just released "file sharing" of any file on your iDisk so Filechute might now expendable.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:09 PM

I love the new file sharing feature on iDisk
bye bye Yousendit.com
Old 02-18-2009, 04:31 PM

what I found to be way more effective, a lot faster and safe is this

DropBox

And it is free up to two GB.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
200 years ago, the people responsible for MobileMe would have been hung in public.

If I ever said anything that people should consider dangerous as a premature heart attack it is this:

STAY AWAY FROM MOBILE ME BY APPLE

It will cause you wallet to be light $99 - and at one point your file WILL meet corruption.
25..are you talking about iDisk, or the global use of MM that corrupts files? I don't use Preference syncing or iDisk seeing that I run my own FTP server, but the other features of MM make running my business much easier..and I can't see how those features corrupt anything. Calendar, Address Book Contacts, bookmarks and syncing mail accounts to home studio, laptop and iPhone are a huge asset in my business. The Back to my Mac feature saves my butt constantly by being able to remotely log into my home studio when I'm at another studio. Yeah, MM had some hiccups at the beginning it's it's pretty much smoothed out. Worth every penny of the 99 bucks to me.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:47 AM

Great experience with mobile me here too!!!

Could not live without it nowdays...

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 02-19-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
I agree with everything David said.

Works great for me. Transmit and Filechute are a must. Although they just released "file sharing" of any file on your iDisk so Filechute might now expendable.
I still like "File Chute" for uploading the files. Much better than waiting for idisk to mount and trying to drag to it.

Although I prefer the email that MobileMe sends out so I use that one. Plus it has password protection on .zip files.

I just dragged the filechute folder to the sidebar to make it super easy.