Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-15-2004, 06:53 AM

Default NI xpress keys and ProTools - BEWARE!

After patiently waiting for the delayed release, I purchased the Native Instruments Pro-53 xpress keys. In my excitement about obtaining the product(I have and love the full version B4!) I failed to notice that the xpress line is NOT RTAS (All of the other NI plugs are RTAS -one page of NI's website claims that ALL of their plugs are now RTAS...) Anyway, so I purchased the fxpansion vst/rtas wrapper.At first, I couldn't get the Pro 53 plug to work...the interface would not even appear.When I would select the Pro 53 from the plug menu, a small grey "digi" box would appear (similar to the box you see when you remove a plugin).After some snooping, I discovered that if I click the Pro 53 plug where it appears in this "small grey box", AND I follow the drop down menu and i re-click the Pro 53, the plug then works.(btw-the vst/rtas wrapper works properly with all of my other vst plugs)Before I figured this out, I had emailed NI tech support. Today I received their reply stating that they "can't even get Pro 53 to appear" with the vst/rtas wrapper, and "this leads (them) to believe the reliability of the wrapper is not 100%". Then they "apologize" and say they "DO NOT OFFER SUPPORT FOR WRAPPERS because they are not tested.(In fairness, they did say that they were able to make the B4 xpresss and the FM xpress "show up").I take the blame for missing the fact that the xpress line is not RTAS, but NI did not state that the line was incompatible with the "wrapper"
To me, Native Instruments is a bit "hit and miss" As I stated, I love the B4 (full version) but I've been really dissapointed in "Intakt"(very un-intuitive in my opinion) So beware PT users, xpress keys are not RTAS! and NI doesn't support the fxpansion vst/rtas wrapper.
Apogee Rosetta 200/ UA LA-610
Genelec 8030A/7050b
McDSP, Waves, Sony, URS, Spectrasonics, BFD, Altiverb
Old 06-15-2004, 08:03 AM

Default Re: NI xpress keys and ProTools - BEWARE!

It's disappointing that it's not RTAS, but it's understandable that they don't support wrappers.

It's the responsibility of the wrapper maker to properly emulate a host. If the NI plug works correctly in a true VST host, but doesn't work with the VST-RTAS wrapper, there's a good chance FXpansion hasn't quite got their stuff right yet.