Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2018, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Protools Owners: Beware of Newegg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Newegg Revenue: 2016 - 2.65 Billion $ (2500 employees)
Sweetwater Revenue: 2017 - 619 million $

You can not really compare selling music eqpt which is a bit of niche market (thats in and been in decline with larger competition for a smaller market share) in comparison to the largest online retailer for the IT/computer market that serves products for every business in the country and most households. Newegg also has multiple warehouses in different states (west coast, midwest, east coast). I don't even see how its close and no way they could have a larger national presence.

I personally get better prices from some west coast stores and have not used Sweetwater much in quite a few years. I get most annoyed at their phone calls every couple months. I have driven right by there place multiple times in Indiana,just usually in a rush and never stop.
Have never brought from Newegg; their prices aren't really any better than Provantage or Amazon for the stuff I buy computer-wise. Also never gotten a phone call from Sweetwater unless I had left a message for my sales engineer (Brendan).

QAPLA!
Old 03-13-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Have never brought from Newegg; their prices aren't really any better than Provantage or Amazon for the stuff I buy computer-wise. Also never gotten a phone call from Sweetwater unless I had left a message for my sales engineer (Brendan).
about 60% of what I buy is the same price with Newegg or Amazon. about 30% Newegg is cheaper and about 10% Amazon is cheaper. Newegg excels at details for researching parts and getting specs. Amazon is useless if you trying to get information or compare parts. I have also been stiffed by 3rd party amazon retailers selling me (for instance) 4 year old n.o.s. hard drives with no actual warranty except DOA and not having any of that information as you purchase. You have to be very caeful when it comes to their 3rd party retailers. Amazon's only real perk is shipping speed for the price. I spend 6 digits a year on parts, so I am a bit familiar with the different options!

My Sweetwater rep (Zach I think) calls me unsolicited a few times a year. You may deal with them enough to where they don't bother.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-13-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
about 60% of what I buy is the same price with Newegg or Amazon. about 30% Newegg is cheaper and about 10% Amazon is cheaper. Newegg excels at details for researching parts and getting specs. Amazon is useless if you trying to get information or compare parts. I have also been stiffed by 3rd party amazon retailers selling me (for instance) 4 year old n.o.s. hard drives with no actual warranty except DOA and not having any of that information as you purchase. You have to be very caeful when it comes to their 3rd party retailers. Amazon's only real perk is shipping speed for the price. I spend 6 digits a year on parts, so I am a bit familiar with the different options!

My Sweetwater rep (Zach I think) calls me unsolicited a few times a year. You may deal with them enough to where they don't bother.
That's the thing with you - you build computers so you need a reliable source. Most of us aren't in that business, even as a sideline so parts availability isn't that big a priority. I'm not knocking what you do and please understand that; it's just that your needs and mine are quite different.

The upshot of this whole saga is to be aware of who charges sales tax and who doesn't.

So far we've been mostly dealing with hardware. I wonder where software comes into this since most developers have their place of offices in one place and don't have distribution centers like Amazon but web shops like Audio Deluxe.

QAPLA!
Old 03-13-2018, 07:53 PM

I have done a tremendous amount of business with Newegg over the last decade, and every single one of those transactions has been absolutely flawless. Their prices has been superb, and I consider them a premium go to vendor when looking for anything tech related.
15 years as PTHD User, Protools 2018 Ultimate, 24 Channel iCon D-Command, Avid Omni, Lynx Aurora 16, (2) BLA Modified 192 I/O’s, DigiPre, Way Too Many Outboard Compressors/EQ’s/ETC, where did all my money go????
Old 03-13-2018, 08:17 PM

Default Protools Owners: Beware of Newegg!

Quote:
I spend 6 digits a year on parts, so I am a bit familiar with the different options!
Wowzer!!! Is that including the zeros to the right of the decimal too????

🤩🤩

On topic I just bought a 500 GB SSD at Newegg last week, 2 day shipping was $2.99 I believe
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:48 PM

It really don't take that many computers to hit that along with my personal stuff, getting stuff for friends, etc. If only my profit margins were even close to that....

I have both Amazon prime and Newegg Premier. Amazon seems faster regardless and even delivers Sunday, which I don't really think is necessary.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-13-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
That's the thing with you - you build computers so you need a reliable source. Most of us aren't in that business, even as a sideline so parts availability isn't that big a priority. I'm not knocking what you do and please understand that; it's just that your needs and mine are quite different.

The upshot of this whole saga is to be aware of who charges sales tax and who doesn't.

So far we've been mostly dealing with hardware. I wonder where software comes into this since most developers have their place of offices in one place and don't have distribution centers like Amazon but web shops like Audio Deluxe.
That is point in saying that I would not be worried about Sweetwater, it is just not on that level of online sales. I purchase quite a bit of PT licenses, interfaces, etc for "turnkey systems." I also do a lot of audio system installs for the city and other businesses, so I order a lot of eqpt. through online music store retailers and there is so much more competition and places to choose from. Guitar Center/Musicians Friend dwarf Sweetwater in sales. Its surprising Musicians friend still gets away without charging tax......

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10