Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2010, 08:05 AM

Default Resolved.

A

Last edited by Jimibrix; 03-26-2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Resolved
Old 11-25-2010, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Complete Production Toolkit mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimibrix View Post
Hi, maybe someone can help me. I have Music Production Toolkit, which has been reinstalled twice. I keep thinking there's something wrong. The instruction guide telles me to go to my Protools reference guide to use it. The reference guide has one mention on page 12 of the words Production Toolkit together telling about how it can be used for surround sound. Nothing anywhere telling me how to utilize it. When I have a track up, there are no additional plugins that I can see. I also have MPTK2 but wouldn't dare install it or any other AVID plugin product until I know I didn't waste $250.00 with this one. If I open up tracks, will I now go to 128? (I haven't tried this yet). Since I can't find it in any manual, can any one help me find it and use it? It's registered, installer downloaded etc... Everything else is working fine, I have the manuals on my desktop, they tell me all the wonderful things I've paid for, but tell me to refer to my Protools guide to use it. As I said, one mention on page 12! Not usable info. I have a sample session song to experiment with, but can't find my 'Tookit' to play with. Also, can I install Toolkit2 as well? And thentry to find that stuff or have I wasted $500 in all? To me, there should be a better manual along with the toolkits. My opinion. Can anyone help this dumbass figure this out?

Running Digidesign Factory 003 with Windows 7. Everything works great - no glitches - I love it but am learning...
You bought the MPTK as well as the CPTK???

What version of Pro Tools are we talking about here? What exactly are you looking for in terms of features? Why not just create 128 audio tracks and see what happens...?

You certainly do not need the MPTK if you have the CPTK... But are you sure you're talking about Complete? Music? Music 2?

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-25-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Yes, Lol, I was advised to get both the complete music toolkit and the music production toolkit 2! So, like someone who didn't know any better, I did! Which one is better? Which one should I have? I was told I could midi in almost any instrument in the world and had added effects but I don't see any. Yes, I will add tracks and see what happens, but where the heck are all there 'wonderful added effects? I don't see them in my drop down menu on my inserts tab, nor do I see them as an importable file... Running Protools LE Digidesign Factory 003 with fader system on a custom built Windows 7 4.5 Tb system... Awesome. 3 songs built up with incredible results. I have one to experiment with and want to start playing with my toolkit. I was just workingout some synthesizer midi stuff and it sounds incredible. I'd love to see what this CPTK has! You think I should forget about installing MPTK2? Or uninstall CPTK and install MPTK2? And how can I utilize the effects and such?
You need to fire (or de-friend) whoever told you to buy both the CPTK and the MPTK.

THe CPTK has everything the MPTK has and way way way more. I thought maybe the $1500+ difference in price might have made that obvious...

Unfortunately, since PT9 came out, the MPTK has pretty well lost all value. You could probably sell the whole thing for about $50.

The CPTK has pretty incredible value right now, since you get a free pass at CPTK2 in Pro Tools 9.

D

Old 11-25-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
No, the CPTK came free and was included with th Factory 003 LE complete. The MPTK was purchased separately for $210.00. But I have the CPTK downloaded now. But how the heck do I see what I can utilize? Like I said, my drop down menus haven't changed. It's more important to me to midi more instruments and get added effects than it is to go to 128 tracks. The CPTK says check your Protools manual for instructions on how to use it, the Protools reference manual mentions it once on page 12 as an aid to surround sound, but does not mention HOW to utilize it. There is no chapter that I can find. How do I import more instruments, more effects, etc... ? ILOK in place, authorized, regisitered, downloaded, but invisible, all except the useless manual. Everyone here seems to be able to use it, so how are they doing it? Where do I click to drop and drag, add effects inserts, midi instrument lists, etc...?
Methinks you might want to learn more about Pro Tools first. Forget about 5.1 for a moment, and start getting a handle on creating tracks.

Can you create 128 tracks? Very easy to do, and should quickly verify whether or not your CPTK is active.

BTW... the CPTK wasn't "free" with the Factory Complete. You definitely paid for it in the bundle price. Buying the MPTK2 was definitely unnecessary.

D

Old 11-25-2010, 10:37 AM

Instruments and effects are all plugins which you say you are using. Research Instrument tracks for your instruments and then differences in bussing and inserting for effects and what different effects are exactly. Trust me, no quick way to answer either of these.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 11-25-2010, 05:36 PM

Ya know, Unless I missed it the OP has made no mention of whether he's on PTLE 8 or PT9.

That could make a difference.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-25-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Now, how can I utilize the features of new midi instruments and effects? Where is there a drag and drop, or drop down menu, or inserts list?
What specific "new" midi instruments and/or effects do you think you get with CPTK?

There are no new instruments and the only 'effect' that I can recall off of the top of my head is TL Space, a reverb. (does that even come with CPTK???)

This is from the Avid web site regarding CPTK2:
Overview

Create even larger sessions and get many of the same features of Pro Tools|HD* systems with Complete Production Toolkit 2, a powerful expansion option for Pro Tools 9 software. Have the flexibility to work on studio-created sessions anywhere using just your computer or Pro Tools mobile rig. Get the same high Pro Tools|HD track counts, full session compatibility, and support for all track types, including VCA groups. And enhance your production with 7.1 surround mixing, advanced editing and automation tools, and more.
  • Exchange sessions with Pro Tools|HD users without ever losing session information
  • Create huge mixes with up to 192 simultaneous audio tracks** on playback—512 total
  • Get full VCA mixing capabilities and support for up to 64 video tracks
  • Mix in 7.1 surround while monitoring in stereo with the Neyrinck SoundCode Stereo plug-in
  • Speed up your workflow with advanced automation, audio, and video editing tools
  • Shift time and pitch with natural-sounding results using the X-Form plug-in

If I were you I would more closely take a look at PT before buying anything else.. Based on what I've read here I doubt you needed either toolkit.

Good luck.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 11-26-2010, 08:51 AM

Jimibrix,

There's been some misunderstanding here. I realized in rereading your post that you got the 003 Factory Complete, which did come with the Complete Toolkit, so you're not crazy! It also means you are on Protools 8, not 9, but we'll get to that in a minute.

However, as has been established, there is no need for the Music Toolkit, and I'll advise you on what to do with that in a minute.

There is 2 parts to this. 1 is the Complete Toolkit functionality, the other is the various instruments and effects that come with it.

The Complete Toolkit functionality, as you may know, gives you more tracks and busses, as well as surround mixing capability. There is no extra midi capability, as all that is already in the basic Protools program.

The extra instruments and plugins that came with it are very useful, and you will not regret getting them. The only actual instruments that came with this are Hybrid and Structure LE. Then you have some effects like Eleven LE, which is a great guitar amp simulator, and then a few other things.

On your Music toolkit 2, if it's still in the shrink wrap and unopened, your best bet is to see if you can return it to your dealer. Ask to speak to the manager or whatever you have to do. If you bought it from someone else, then I don't know what to tell you. Since you already have Complete toolkit installed, you have everything that's in Music toolkit plus more.

If for some reason you can't return your Music Toolkit 2, the next option would be to see if someone else wants to buy it as a whole (as is, unregistered). The other option would be to register it, get the Ilok licenses and sell them off individually.

Regarding Protools 9, since you have the 003, you're eligible for the upgrade price of $250, which I recommend you do, as you will get more features, plus everything that's in PT8. Your Complete toolkit license will expand that even further with new features.

As to how to do surround mixing, that can be found in the Complete toolkit instruction guide, that was probably installed with it, or it can be found on the Avid website. There are other things to add if you're doing surround sound, such as extra monitors. You might want to get familiar with doing the basics before you get into that.

I recommend that you look into some books on how to use Protools, and also some videos, such as the ones on Groove3.com. On that site, you can pay for a month and watch as many videos as you can. They also have some free ones, including basic ones on how to get Protools up and running.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:44 AM

Thumbs up Re: Complete Production Toolkit mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Jimibrix,

There's been some misunderstanding here. I realized in rereading your post that you got the 003 Factory Complete, which did come with the Complete Toolkit, so you're not crazy! It also means you are on Protools 8, not 9, but we'll get to that in a minute.

However, as has been established, there is no need for the Music Toolkit, and I'll advise you on what to do with that in a minute.

There is 2 parts to this. 1 is the Complete Toolkit functionality, the other is the various instruments and effects that come with it.

The Complete Toolkit functionality, as you may know, gives you more tracks and busses, as well as surround mixing capability. There is no extra midi capability, as all that is already in the basic Protools program.

The extra instruments and plugins that came with it are very useful, and you will not regret getting them. The only actual instruments that came with this are Hybrid and Structure LE. Then you have some effects like Eleven LE, which is a great guitar amp simulator, and then a few other things.

On your Music toolkit 2, if it's still in the shrink wrap and unopened, your best bet is to see if you can return it to your dealer. Ask to speak to the manager or whatever you have to do. If you bought it from someone else, then I don't know what to tell you. Since you already have Complete toolkit installed, you have everything that's in Music toolkit plus more.

If for some reason you can't return your Music Toolkit 2, the next option would be to see if someone else wants to buy it as a whole (as is, unregistered). The other option would be to register it, get the Ilok licenses and sell them off individually.

Regarding Protools 9, since you have the 003, you're eligible for the upgrade price of $250, which I recommend you do, as you will get more features, plus everything that's in PT8. Your Complete toolkit license will expand that even further with new features.

As to how to do surround mixing, that can be found in the Complete toolkit instruction guide, that was probably installed with it, or it can be found on the Avid website. There are other things to add if you're doing surround sound, such as extra monitors. You might want to get familiar with doing the basics before you get into that.

I recommend that you look into some books on how to use Protools, and also some videos, such as the ones on Groove3.com. On that site, you can pay for a month and watch as many videos as you can. They also have some free ones, including basic ones on how to get Protools up and running.
absolutely a GREAT post!!! Jimibrix, you cannot go wrong followin' nst7's advice. well done!!!

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 11-26-2010, 10:11 AM

I too would recommend the PT8 to PT9 upgrade and NST7's advice is sound. FWIW the online community here is great and a lot of folks are helpful. You will find the answers you need.

Pro Tools Documentation.....Actually its excellent and well written but its written for those with "X" amount of knowlage and there is a learning curve as far as conventions and terminology goes. Once your over that it becomes much easier. It's not so much a matter of "wheres the answer" as it is "whats the question?". The answers are there and after a month or two the gobbledygook in the guides will be easier to decipher without a secret decoder ring

I've never joined but I suspect that every one would benfit from a few months of a groove3 membership. If NST7 didnt mention it the AIR Users Blog is another great resource

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88