Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2011, 05:33 PM

Default Any hardcore users of Beat Detective and Elastic Audio??

So yesterday I spent some serious time learning Beat Detective and Elastic Audio. I usually had just used it solely on drums however I learned yesterday about using groove templates and lining up other instruments to the drums. Even did some experimenting with lining up vocals with some pretty good results. I had just tried out Vocalign and was going to start saving but now I'm all set.

Anyone else out there doing some heavy using of these two? Got any tips or good stories to share?
Old 11-10-2011, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Any hardcore users of Beat Detective and Elastic Audio??

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzalicious View Post
So yesterday I spent some serious time learning Beat Detective and Elastic Audio. I usually had just used it solely on drums however I learned yesterday about using groove templates and lining up other instruments to the drums. Even did some experimenting with lining up vocals with some pretty good results. I had just tried out Vocalign and was going to start saving but now I'm all set.

Anyone else out there doing some heavy using of these two? Got any tips or good stories to share?
when it comes to speed and ease, vocalign cannot be beat. i love it. an advantage of elastic audio is that it is nice if you want to get things close, but not real exact in lining them up and nice if you want to stagger the end of a word or phrase between a couple different parts and how they fade out and such. i use them both, situation dependent.

drums are a bit different. i still prefer beat detective to elastic. less artifacts and more flexibility. however if it is small changes i dont mind using elastic audio. speed between the 2 is really situation dependent as well.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 11-10-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
when it comes to speed and ease, vocalign cannot be beat. i love it. an advantage of elastic audio is that it is nice if you want to get things close, but not real exact in lining them up and nice if you want to stagger the end of a word or phrase between a couple different parts and how they fade out and such. i use them both, situation dependent.

drums are a bit different. i still prefer beat detective to elastic. less artifacts and more flexibility. however if it is small changes i dont mind using elastic audio. speed between the 2 is really situation dependent as well.
I haven't tried Elastic Audio on drums. Was more talking about either or not really using them both together on instruments.

The reason I somewhat prefer Elastic Audio is because I can set the sync points much easier than using vocalign.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzalicious View Post
I haven't tried Elastic Audio on drums. Was more talking about either or not really using them both together on instruments.

The reason I somewhat prefer Elastic Audio is because I can set the sync points much easier than using vocalign.
there will always be learning curves and preferences. i have been using vocalign for many years, so i am quite fluent in making it do what i want, i will have a preference here and can work much fast with it than i can with elastic. but the difference being, if it is a main vocal line you are tweaking, you will not have any reference trace for vocalign to work off of, so elastic would be the only choice. again, i always try cutting and pasting and or nudging syllables, words, etc. before i go to elastic audio though. typically always like the results better if it can be done and still quicker for me.

but: electric guitars i will typically use elastic audio because i have more control of it overall and can make subtle changes w/o dealing w crossfades between regions and such like i would with vocalign. plus they just dont work to well most of the time w vocalign. same with the bass guitar. it can get pretty heavy with artifacts though if you get heavy handed. vocalign will work great with acoustic guitars and still use it most of the time with them.

beat detective i only mess with on percussive instruments if i am going to use it. not good for anything else imo.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 11-10-2011, 10:02 PM

headover to groove3.com, check out Kenny Gioa's tips in the Protools tutorials priceless info

-SteveB.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:02 PM

EA sucks for just about everything. It works great, it just sounds like s**t and anyone who tells you differently, either hasn't been doing this very long or doesn't do this for a living, and either can't hear the artifacts/phasing/frequency shifts, or doesn't have the setup/speakers/gear/environment to hear it. No offense to anyone who disagrees.

There are times when all else fails I may use it, like a really poorly played drum fill, or a part that happens to quick to notice the artifacts, but if I need to stretch or compress something, I use SPEED by SoundToys, it sounds amazing. I have sped up and down whole mixes by 1-2bpm and "most" people/clients/assistants/interns can't hear the artifacts.

Drum editing and bass edits are best done by Beat Detective, quick and easy. Guitar edits and vocal edits I do manually. I'm not a fan for using vocalign on anything but vocals because of the same issues as EA.

Sorry, I have a thing about ranting against EA because it's so useless and want to see them implement better technology/algorithms to make it sound better.

I have a quick beat detective tutorial on my protools youtube page.
http://www.youtube.com/ProToolsTutorials
http://www.youtube.com/adamwbarber