Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Pro Tools | S6

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-22-2017, 12:29 PM
stefanboman stefanboman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 35
Default Orientation in large sessions

Don't know if there's a clever solution for this...

If often work on very large mix sessions(200+ ch).
I'd like to use orientation points to scroll the console to the desired channels.
I've tried layouts but I often add channels along the way and find it a bit of a hassle to constantly having to update my layouts.
I think it would be great to have"scroll locators"on the S6.

Let's say you create a"locator"on the first keyboard channel and fix that to channel 1 on the S6.
Recalling that"locator"would scroll the console so that the first keyboard channel is located on the first fader on the S6. No matter what changes before/after that channel in the session that"Locator"would just center the banking/nudging around that channel around channel one.

That way a session could be totally flexible for changes but still really easy to bank the console to the right position.

Any thoughts or solutions for this?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-22-2017, 01:22 PM
Marsdy Marsdy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: England
Posts: 1,688
Default Re: Orientation in large sessions

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanboman View Post
Don't know if there's a clever solution for this...

If often work on very large mix sessions(200+ ch).
I'd like to use orientation points to scroll the console to the desired channels.
I've tried layouts but I often add channels along the way and find it a bit of a hassle to constantly having to update my layouts.
I think it would be great to have"scroll locators"on the S6.

Let's say you create a"locator"on the first keyboard channel and fix that to channel 1 on the S6.
Recalling that"locator"would scroll the console so that the first keyboard channel is located on the first fader on the S6. No matter what changes before/after that channel in the session that"Locator"would just center the banking/nudging around that channel around channel one.

That way a session could be totally flexible for changes but still really easy to bank the console to the right position.

Any thoughts or solutions for this?
That's a good idea. I've not bonded with markers either.

Not sure what you mean by "first keyboard channel" though?
__________________
Dave Marsden
UK
Avid HDX1, PT12 HD, HD I/O 16x16, Avid S6 M10 24-5, 2013 12 Core Mac Pro. Robby The Robot meter bridge ornament.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-22-2017, 01:33 PM
creativecontrol's Avatar
creativecontrol creativecontrol is offline
Avid
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 289
Default Re: Orientation in large sessions

Greetings,

Why don't you just pick your orientation in preferences (Left, Right, etc) and do a Bank to Attentioned track?




Jeff
__________________
Jeff Komar
Applications Specialist, Pro Audio
Avid
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-22-2017, 02:32 PM
stefanboman stefanboman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 35
Default Re: Orientation in large sessions

Sorry for being fuzzy.

By keyboard I meant the first keyboard(as a instrument)as I usually put all my channels in order.
Like drums, bass then keyboards etc...

Jeff. How would I choose what channel to orient around?
The touch screen or the mouse on the daw?
I'm doing that today. But I was hoping to find an easier way to put that selection on the soft keys(without using layouts)
So pressing a soft key marked keyboards would make it bank to pre selected channel that is the first in the keyboards section of the session.

My aim is to use the mouse as little as possible.
And even the touch screen is a bit to fiddly with several hundreds of channels.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-22-2017, 02:45 PM
creativecontrol's Avatar
creativecontrol creativecontrol is offline
Avid
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 289
Default Re: Orientation in large sessions

You could choose your channel from the Fader Modules (attention button), Tracks Page (attention mode) touch a track, Home Page (scroller on the bottom of the window) or even on the Home page scrolling meter bridge based on the preference settings.

You can specify the Bank Justification using the User Preferences:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/29xyuupd8b..._just.png?dl=0


In my opinion however, there is simply no substitute for VCA Masters structured to organize a session. Creating food groups and spilling them into dedicated Spill Zones I believe to be the most efficient way to navigate a large session - whether music or post. Using nested VCAS's allows you to package up the members with a high level or granularity. Say you want all of your strings available on a VCA - All Strings - contained within that is violins, cellos, etc which can all have their own VCA's. You can choose what nest of VCA you want and where exactly you want to spill the members. Finally, if you need to add a track - it's easy enough to simply duplicate a member which adds to the group and continues to be controlled by the same VCA structure.



Jeff
__________________
Jeff Komar
Applications Specialist, Pro Audio
Avid
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-23-2017, 05:18 AM
Marsdy Marsdy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: England
Posts: 1,688
Default Re: Orientation in large sessions

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
You could choose your channel from the Fader Modules (attention button), Tracks Page (attention mode) touch a track, Home Page (scroller on the bottom of the window) or even on the Home page scrolling meter bridge based on the preference settings.

You can specify the Bank Justification using the User Preferences:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/29xyuupd8b..._just.png?dl=0


In my opinion however, there is simply no substitute for VCA Masters structured to organize a session. Creating food groups and spilling them into dedicated Spill Zones I believe to be the most efficient way to navigate a large session - whether music or post. Using nested VCAS's allows you to package up the members with a high level or granularity. Say you want all of your strings available on a VCA - All Strings - contained within that is violins, cellos, etc which can all have their own VCA's. You can choose what nest of VCA you want and where exactly you want to spill the members. Finally, if you need to add a track - it's easy enough to simply duplicate a member which adds to the group and continues to be controlled by the same VCA structure.

Jeff
I use VCA masters exactly as you describe and it's fantastic.

That said, I still think there's mileage in stefan's idea. For me, VCA spill assumes preparation and organisation. Every time you add a track to a session you need to assign it to a VCA. It's easy to forget when you're working in a hurry or your attention is diverted elsewhere. I like the idea of a quick and dirty way of navigating to a group of tracks, much the same way as I navigate to markers in a Pro Tools session.

I use VCA masters in preference to Layouts because personally I find Layouts fiddly and frustrating. I'd like Layouts much more if I could hit select on a track or selection of tracks, press a softkey called Add To Layout and have the Layout matrix appear on the touchscreen instantly ready for me to chose the Layout I want to add the track(s) to.
__________________
Dave Marsden
UK
Avid HDX1, PT12 HD, HD I/O 16x16, Avid S6 M10 24-5, 2013 12 Core Mac Pro. Robby The Robot meter bridge ornament.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-23-2017, 06:37 AM
lucienpalmer lucienpalmer is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 408
Default Re: Orientation in large sessions

I agree, VCAs should do what the OP is looking for. If you need to add new tracks along the way, choose and existing track and duplicate (don't include playlist or automation) and it'll automatically be added to the same VCA group.

FYI, you can also have VCAs inside other VCAs for really deep layers of organizing.
__________________
MacPro 2.4 12-core, OSX 10.12
Pro Tools HD 12, HDX3 & MTRX + HD MADI
HP Z230 Hackintosh, RME MADI
S6 M10 16-5 w/ producer desk
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-23-2017, 08:00 AM
Marsdy Marsdy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: England
Posts: 1,688
Default Re: Orientation in large sessions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucienpalmer View Post
I agree, VCAs should do what the OP is looking for. If you need to add new tracks along the way, choose and existing track and duplicate (don't include playlist or automation) and it'll automatically be added to the same VCA group.

FYI, you can also have VCAs inside other VCAs for really deep layers of organizing.
In my template session everything is assigned to VCAs all nested, many multiple layers deep.

I'm not sure duplicating tracks would be any faster than assigning to a VCA especially if I had to remove what gets duplicated like inserts, sends, playlist etc. in order to "zero" the channel?
__________________
Dave Marsden
UK
Avid HDX1, PT12 HD, HD I/O 16x16, Avid S6 M10 24-5, 2013 12 Core Mac Pro. Robby The Robot meter bridge ornament.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-23-2017, 08:32 AM
quadraphonics quadraphonics is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 324
Default Re: Orientation in large sessions

All of that is an option when you duplicate a channel.

A window pops up asking what you want to keep.

Randall


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
In my template session everything is assigned to VCAs all nested, many multiple layers deep.

I'm not sure duplicating tracks would be any faster than assigning to a VCA especially if I had to remove what gets duplicated like inserts, sends, playlist etc. in order to "zero" the channel?
__________________
Randall Smith
Audio Editor/Mixer
Starz Entertainment Group
Denver, CO
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-23-2017, 08:36 AM
Marsdy Marsdy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: England
Posts: 1,688
Default Re: Orientation in large sessions

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
All of that is an option when you duplicate a channel.

A window pops up asking what you want to keep.

Randall
That's what I mean and all the options default to "on"! I wouldn't want to duplicate a track then possibly deselect all the options in the Duplicate dialog box just to add a track to a VCA.
__________________
Dave Marsden
UK
Avid HDX1, PT12 HD, HD I/O 16x16, Avid S6 M10 24-5, 2013 12 Core Mac Pro. Robby The Robot meter bridge ornament.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Splitting large sessions into smaller sessions brandondurham Tips & Tricks 2 10-06-2013 09:02 AM
HD requirements for large sessions 96K... lownotesinc Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 2 04-09-2010 02:27 PM
Very large sessions nosfoe Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 15 12-11-2009 03:21 AM
ALTIVERB 6.1 TDM in Large Sessions minister Post - Surround - Video 8 07-12-2008 01:23 PM
Large Sessions ajazzie Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 4 08-06-2002 05:46 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:24 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com