Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Bounce to disk... aiff or wav files?

hi.... just gett'in rollin' with MBox LE... the question I have.. is which is the best and easiest format within PT to Bounce to disk..to use? Of course I'm using iTunes as being a Mac'er. I know Aiff & Wav are uncommpressed files... but there's seems there would be a more "user friendly" tip to bounce & IMPORT to convert ACC ( a compressed audio file, which most CD players recognize.) Just curious what the "norm" process for bouncing a mix to listen and burn any new demo projects, for other players to listen to? I have normally use aiff and IMPORT to ITunes and set the IMPORT iTunes Prefs to convert to ACC, when Importing. I usually look at the song INFO within iTunes, and it says Aiff? iTunes plays aiff Ok, but usually (AIFF) is not user friendly for some CD players. I have read the Pro Tools manual and that's not discussed in much detail for us Mac users...using iTunes. Just wondering................... thanks for any input or tricks.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Bounce to disk... aiff or wav files?

I have never burned an Audio CD using anything other than AIFF. It's worked fine for me for as long as I can remember burning CDs.

I always Bounce To Disk with AIFF. The way I figger it... the track'll end up as an AIFF eventually, so why not do it now?
Old 09-11-2005, 11:10 PM

Once you burn an audio CD in iTunes, the format of the individual files will not matter (as long as they played in iTunes to begin with). iTunes converts the files back to what is standard for cds.

There's a big difference between the burn alternatives in iTunes (Audio CD, MP3 CD, Data CD). While some cd players nowadays can play MP3 cds (mostly portables and car stereos), you probably shouldn't use that alternative unless you know the capabilities of the receiver's cd player.

So, I assume you've have been burning Audio cds all along. When bouncing, it makes sense to use an uncompressed format.

Since you're obviously starting out in the wonderful (?) world of digital audio, I would recommend picking up a book on the subject. As you might have gathered by now, Wikipedia is also an excellent source of general information.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:02 AM

Thanks..... I have been burning CD's for some time now. Thanks for the LINKS you included. It really didn't say to much about FORMATS (a little of the history...not the present) Also some interesting info on CD's in general!! Wow! Cool.
I mentioned (compressed or uncompressed types of formats) I guess I need to, as you mentioned to see what is the "norm" for pre-recorded CDs. (Redbook) I just want my burnt CDs compatable for anyone I give my demos to. So I will check formats out a bit more. The CD's I copy into iTunes all say ACC (a copy protected compressed type) so, that's why I posted this post.... to get opinions. Thanks.. everyone!
Old 09-12-2005, 11:26 AM

Quote:
iTunes plays aiff Ok, but usually (AIFF) is not user friendly for some CD players.
Hmmm...I did not know that. I always thought that AIFF's were standard for all CD players since day 1. They must be making pretty crappy CD players nowadays to not play CD made with AIF's after all aren't all professionally manufactured CD's made with AIF's. When I go to master my albums at Precision Laquer I use AIF's (24bit 44.1k) and the files are dithered to 16 bit AIff files. Maybe I should change the format now that I know they won't work on some CD players... Now I guess I should dither down to AAC files instead. We really do learn something new everyday here on the DUC.

Thanks for the great info,

RS
Old 09-12-2005, 11:51 AM

I have been bouncing all , .wav .aiff .mp3 and what ever codec I can utilize. Keeping all options open for future use of the file seems a good way to go. For example if you were creating the file for a audio track in a video, different video editing software Avid, Adobe, Arcsoft, Quicktime, Windows Moviemaker. There is some, well , allot of compatibility issues that I am now , just finding out. If you got the disk space multi file formats of the same file will save you time later. Or just go with .wav or .aiff and convert later . Depends on your plans with the file. In my humble opinion.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:02 PM

I do everything in Wav files. I would stay with Wav or Aiff. Whatever you use, keep it constant. I import mixes back into protools so I can master them, and this you want to do with Aiff or wav. As for sound, I think they're interchangable.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:33 AM

I always bounced to my Alesis Masterlink to master but tried bouncing to disk for the 1st time. Million dollar question, where do the files go? Do the go to ram and get written over or can you do multiple takes and listen to several back again?