Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 02-08-2012, 11:23 PM

Default should I Change my Mbox 2 pro for Profire 610???

OR maybe for the Presonus Firestudio Mobie????

So, I got Pro Tools 9.. macbook pro osx 10.6.8..
There's a dude selling a Profire 610, and i was reading the recording quality is way better than mbox 2 pro, should I get rid of this mbox 2 pro and get the profire?? Is it really better quality recording voice, guitar cabs, etc ? thanks!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:22 AM

Default Re: should I Change my Mbox 2 pro for Profire 610???

yo anybody? i need something better than the mbox 2 pro. I'm just not digging the quality when recording voice and guitars that much. maybe the profire 610 or the presonus firestudio mobile?
Old 02-09-2012, 07:32 AM

In my opinion, these interfaces all are about the same quality. In general there may be a slight difference in the specification for the A/D D/A converters and the mic press are all intended to sound neutral and mostly accurate. The difference is so slight that I would not pay for it. What type of sound are you trying to get? You may be better off getting a quality external pre amp or channel strip to achieve your desired sound. Also mic placement is very much a part of how it will sound. Perhaps a new mic is in order. These two items will have a more drastic impact on your sound than the interface. Also, how are you listening to your output? Quality monitors in a properly treated room makes a world of difference in how your sound will translate. I would look into these before even replacing the interface or using plugins to modify your sound.
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
MacOS 10.13.6 running Protools 2018.7.0
Old 02-09-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
In my opinion, these interfaces all are about the same quality. In general there may be a slight difference in the specification for the A/D D/A converters and the mic press are all intended to sound neutral and mostly accurate. The difference is so slight that I would not pay for it. What type of sound are you trying to get? You may be better off getting a quality external pre amp or channel strip to achieve your desired sound. Also mic placement is very much a part of how it will sound. Perhaps a new mic is in order. These two items will have a more drastic impact on your sound than the interface. Also, how are you listening to your output? Quality monitors in a properly treated room makes a world of difference in how your sound will translate. I would look into these before even replacing the interface or using plugins to modify your sound.
im recording voice with an at4040. I'm trying to get a deeper sound somehow.. i'm mostly recording rock things and soft pop with deep voices. my speakers are krk rookit 5, not pro level but im liking them so far. You think a channel strip could be better then? i was actually looking at a PreSonus studio channel Tube last night. thanks!
Old 02-09-2012, 08:10 PM

I'm pretty sure the Studio Channel is starved plate design but that doesn't mean it's bad. If you're looking for deeper sound, you might want to consider an SM7B or even an EV RE20. Work on technique before you buy new gear. A good pop filter and proximity will get you chestier tones.
1 x 1TB System Drive
1 x 320Gig Seagate HDD
1 x 500Gig Seagate HDD
UAD-2 Solo
Steinberg UR44
KRK RP5
Windows 10 Pro. 64 bit
Sonar Platinum
Cubase 8
Sony Acid Pro 7
Sampletank 2 XL
EZDrummer
Guitar Rig 5
ProTools 12.3

All legit software thank you very much.

Yes I have a low post count but only because I don't have a lot of problems with my gear.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:01 PM

Although you the SM7 needs alot of gain it's a classic rock vocal mic. An the RE20 is probably the best all around studio mic thee is.

In my opinion those sound cards are all different flavors of the same crap (ok the MBox being a somewhat stinky load...) and your mic isn't helping the proceedings unfortunately.

If you want to upgrade you could do worst than spring to a Duet/Duet v2. However I must confess having been impressed by the MBox3 in the quick time I've had one in my hands. (It's supposedly been designed by ex-pats from Apogee and that would make sense.)

Darryl Ramm