Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2011, 09:05 AM

Default Toggling 11R rig out in ASIO mode - solved?

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if the issue of being unable to mute the Rig Out from the mains in a non-Pro Tools DAW (and in other words, ASIO mode) was ever resolved. I have been thinking about using the 11R with both Ableton and Guitar Rig, however, being unable to mute the processed sound from the Main Out makes this not practical (if I want to use the Rig Out -> Guitar Rig for FX for example. I am currently going to an external soundcard and through the FX loop, but this is an extremely cumbersome solution for something that should be handled quite easily).

If this has not yet been included, it should absolutely be one of the key functions in a driver update or even a firmware update. This greatly impacts the usability of the 11R with non-ProTools DAWs, and considering ProTools itself now runs on ASIO, should not be too difficult to implement, if even just at the driver level.

If anyone has found a workable solution (or even a feature that I am not aware of), please do share. I do hope Chris and the Chimp can chime in as well. This has been a peeve of mine ever since I got the 11R, and it's a real low hanging fruit in terms of unlocking its potential.

My 2 cents :)
Old 10-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Avid

Default Re: Toggling 11R rig out in ASIO mode - solved?

Hi Adam,

This is definitely something we'd like to add to the driver, but a pretty good solution is to just create a special rig which has the output muted. The easiest way to do that is to put the volume pedal at the end of the signal chain and set to zero.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:08 PM

I could be wrong here but I recall David Wallimann always having his Eleven Rack tuner on when demoing other gear ... This should also mute the outputs or not? Here is the video where I got this from: Link. See the Eleven Rack that is on tuner ...

I don't use another interface or even the Eleven Rack tuner so I could be wrong. Feel free to call me an idiot if I am
Awesome: Eleven Rack (with EXRP)+ M-Audio Bx8a's
Old 10-06-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend View Post
Hi Adam,

This is definitely something we'd like to add to the driver, but a pretty good solution is to just create a special rig which has the output muted. The easiest way to do that is to put the volume pedal at the end of the signal chain and set to zero.
Hi Chris,

This works fine enough for that purpose, but perhaps I can elaborate on what I'm trying to do. I have been using Guitar Rig for their reverse/grain delay effects. At the moment, I am running a MOTU Microbook and my laptop in the FX loop of the Eleven Rack. This could also go after the main outs I suppose, but this lets me toggle between Guitar Rig and the Eleven Rack. This setup requires 4 additional cables (for stereo FX loop), an additional USB cable, and of course extra setup time. In addition, I have the added latency of the D/A A/D in the FX loop, as well as the latency of the Microbook. Being able to mute the rig out at the main out would let me use Guitar Rig as post-effects with the Eleven Rack (and also any other software plugin one might think of). The most obvious and immediat benefit of this would be running something like the Morpheus looper, which basically gives ElevenRack users with MIDI controllers free access to a powerful, flexible looper with minimal latency costs.

Perhaps this is a niche function, but combined with the general flexibility it offers with third-party DAWs (or even performance tools like Ableton), I think it would go a long way in enhancing the value the Eleven Rack already offers.

In case you can't tell, I'm very much looking forward to more expansion packs or 11R updates. I'm counting down to 11/11/11, but feel free to surprise me before then