Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05-29-2011, 07:22 AM
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
Bob Olhsson Bob Olhsson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Songwriter Gulch, Nashville, TN
Posts: 3,318
Default Re: Why Native vs. DSP Cards?

There is a huge installed base of Power PC HD users who Apple has orphaned. I actually suspect this could even be the majority of HD owners based on what my friends and I see in studios. Unlike native users, they've had little incentive to constantly upgrade their computers because it was not going to significantly improve the performance of their system. HD native allows them to buy a more recent computer, run the latest software, in many cases run the equivalent of more DSP cards and at the same time protect their huge investment in HD converters.

A major reason I stopped using a Mac because of Apple's propensity for orphaning us over and over. The classic Mac system was as much as twice as fast as a comparably clocked PC and offered extraordinary protection from malware attacks. In spite of the tendency toward instability, the classic mac was arguably well worth putting up with but it all went away with system 10. All that remains is religion and mythology based on the legitimate advantages the earlier macs had.

The other huge market for HD native I see is sound editing for film. The Omni is a perfect solution to replace the mix and le systems that are typically kludged together with some kind of a mixer in an editing room. In fact I've got a job this summer updating an editing room where I used to work when I lived in California.

Certainly it is also a great upgrade opportunity for us LE and M-Powered users too but there are competing less expensive possibilities.
__________________
Bob's room 615 562-4346
Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
Interview
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-29-2011, 09:16 PM
filosofem filosofem is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Christchurch NZ
Posts: 11,864
Default Re: Why Native vs. DSP Cards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
There is a huge installed base of Power PC HD users who Apple has orphaned. I actually suspect this could even be the majority of HD owners based on what my friends and I see in studios. Unlike native users, they've had little incentive to constantly upgrade their computers because it was not going to significantly improve the performance of their system. HD native allows them to buy a more recent computer, run the latest software, in many cases run the equivalent of more DSP cards and at the same time protect their huge investment in HD converters.
Hi Bob and thank you for taking the time to reply to my post even if it was somewhat playing devils advocate. I must say though, you've given awareness to a situation I personally had not given consideration, nor to the glaring obvious potential of HD Native users. So, would you Bob, go so far as to say it's a no-brainer and indeed the concept of HD Native isn't that hard to get one's head around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Certainly it is also a great upgrade opportunity for us LE and M-Powered users too but there are competing less expensive possibilities.
Ummm... yes, given, one can pick up a PT HD 9 asset for a fraction of the price of HD Native and run a top quality converter, makes little sense given Avid are a hardware company. Incentive's to buy HD Native via desirable upgrade paths should be paramount.
__________________
Aaron Mulqueen - 001 HD Native
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Shan's Avatar
Shan Shan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 13,544
Default Re: Why Native vs. DSP Cards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
There is a huge installed base of Power PC HD users who Apple has orphaned. I actually suspect this could even be the majority of HD owners...
Couldn't agree more with this one. We're also mere months away from the next gen Intel CPU's. More host power than one could fathom.

Shane
__________________
Pro Tools Power User Editing

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!
__________________

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

__________________

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-08-2011, 04:14 AM
KroNEe KroNEe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: FL
Posts: 529
Default Re: Why Native vs. DSP Cards?

I am still a little confused, if I buy PT9 HD with CPTK, and it is sold as used on a Ilok, "This listing/sale is for a used PT 9 HD bundle iLok asset (PT 9 HD, PT 9, PT 8 HD)"
Price is cheap, I am sure many of you know where this is deal is being offered. But I cannot find out if for any reason, and I do not really see one from what I am reading, but just to know, how would one upgrade to TDM? Sounds like there will be a bunch of cards for sale with no usable serial#.

And the things I would not get to use as native, TDM plugs, Heat,little more latency, Am I missing anything? am I missing something that would bite me later being a used software asset? Is this to good to be. It is very confusing to understand Avids chart to me. But if there are no big gotchas here, I could swing the price. Anyone have a opinion, or have purchased the used deal? I am missing something I know it.

Thanks
__________________
Brent Willoughby
Kinetic Recording Studios
Orlando FL. USA

www.kineticrecordingstudios.com
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-08-2011, 07:30 AM
nst7 nst7 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 9,775
Default Re: Why Native vs. DSP Cards?

If you're talking about the deal from E.J. Wells (and featured on the AIR users blog), that would be the license that allows you to run the equivalent of PT9 and CPTK2 for a fraction of the price.

I don't know how that would work with upgrades in the future, but if you bought that, and then just bought used HD cards from someone, I don't see why that wouldn't work.

You could email E.J. and ask him you specific questions.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-08-2011, 07:50 AM
KroNEe KroNEe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: FL
Posts: 529
Default Re: Why Native vs. DSP Cards?

I have had several email exchanges with him today, it is a great deal any way you slice it. But to buy a Native card, I would have to buy another copy of PT9 HD. Guess it would sell for $400 maybe. But I am still way outside my budget as far as buying any core card. Really tempted, but I see people dumping there cards and using the serial# to upgrade themselves. I bet this will happen allot. So how can you make sure you are getting a usable serial other then taking someones word? Man I do not know what to do, but any way you slice it it is 2k from buying the CPTK. The native card is way to much. I understand why they have to price it that high, but it is out of range now for me. I could use the HD software with a interface for now, and later upgrade, but he put in a little disclaimer like to the best of my knowledge you should be able to upgrade to 10, or get a core card and register it, but no for sure answer. I have been looking for hours to find something solid on a upgrade, but Avid has wrong info in there user guides. I am really at a loss, it could be a great thing, could be a nightmare.

But E.J. replied to my questions, I think he is selling exactly as advertised. But not much info from Avid to go off.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
If you're talking about the deal from E.J. Wells (and featured on the AIR users blog), that would be the license that allows you to run the equivalent of PT9 and CPTK2 for a fraction of the price.

I don't know how that would work with upgrades in the future, but if you bought that, and then just bought used HD cards from someone, I don't see why that wouldn't work.

You could email E.J. and ask him you specific questions.
__________________
Brent Willoughby
Kinetic Recording Studios
Orlando FL. USA

www.kineticrecordingstudios.com

Last edited by KroNEe; 06-08-2011 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Add
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-08-2011, 09:31 AM
KroNEe KroNEe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: FL
Posts: 529
Default Re: Why Native vs. DSP Cards?

Ok, I bought the iLok from E.J. Wells. Guess there is a bit of unknown on how future upgrades will go. So for now, will be using a LE inerface for a while yet. Everyone for the most part is going native it would seem. It will be a while before I will be able to buy the card, and another copy of PT9 HD. I should be able to sell that right? so I am still looking at several thousand dollars for a card and I need at least 16x16 I/O. So that is going to cost me.

So in the meen time you guys make me feel good with what I am going to be able to do on LE hardware that I do not have now. I think it is going to be a while before I really get to use the good stuff? I should be happy about getting CPTK for free basicly right?
__________________
Brent Willoughby
Kinetic Recording Studios
Orlando FL. USA

www.kineticrecordingstudios.com
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-08-2011, 01:28 PM
albee1952 albee1952 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: nashville
Posts: 34,746
Default Re: Why Native vs. DSP Cards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KroNEe View Post
Ok, I bought the iLok from E.J. Wells. Guess there is a bit of unknown on how future upgrades will go. So for now, will be using a LE inerface for a while yet. Everyone for the most part is going native it would seem. It will be a while before I will be able to buy the card, and another copy of PT9 HD. I should be able to sell that right? so I am still looking at several thousand dollars for a card and I need at least 16x16 I/O. So that is going to cost me.

So in the meen time you guys make me feel good with what I am going to be able to do on LE hardware that I do not have now. I think it is going to be a while before I really get to use the good stuff? I should be happy about getting CPTK for free basicly right?
I sure wish I had gone the HD software route instead of buying the CPTK2 I am in much the same boat regarding the move up to HD/Native. I figure, with ebay pricing, I can get on board for about $3K($2.2K for the card and $800 for a 96IO). That with a lightpipe preamp will do 16 inputs at a fair cost. I would move up the the HD IO later on
__________________
Gigabyte X79/intel i7 3930K, 32GB RAM, DIGI003 Rack
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...0sound%20works


The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-08-2011, 03:19 PM
KroNEe KroNEe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: FL
Posts: 529
Default Re: Why Native vs. DSP Cards?

If you can find a old mix core card, that the serial has not been used to upgrade you can get the native card for $1600. But I think it is only for a couple more weeks. That would be sweet, and as far as I can tell the card comes with the PT 9 HD software, so for me I could sell one. I would be good with a 96IO to start, little at a time. And I thought about the CPTK a while back, I do think they should give you guys that spent all that money a break somehow. I just hope I don't get hung out with the used HD9 with no card.
I can't quiet figure out how they are pulling it off for $650. But even worst case I have CPTK2 for a big discount.


Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I sure wish I had gone the HD software route instead of buying the CPTK2 I am in much the same boat regarding the move up to HD/Native. I figure, with ebay pricing, I can get on board for about $3K($2.2K for the card and $800 for a 96IO). That with a lightpipe preamp will do 16 inputs at a fair cost. I would move up the the HD IO later on
__________________
Brent Willoughby
Kinetic Recording Studios
Orlando FL. USA

www.kineticrecordingstudios.com
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-09-2011, 06:46 AM
Raoul23 Raoul23 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 3,011
Default Re: Why Native vs. DSP Cards?

I just upgraded from PT 9 LE to 9HD TDM and i couldnt be happier i spent 6 months debating weather to go HD native ot TDM and its been cheaper for me in the long run. Tracking with plugins on is great i dont have to mess with my buffer or anything like i did in le and rtas plugs.

Im very happy
__________________
Raoul Crane
www.blaze-studios.co.uk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 3.1 Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Two HD Native Cards? robnokes Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) 2 03-06-2014 10:03 AM
PT Native on a mac with HD cards PTPerson macOS 5 01-17-2014 08:24 AM
multiple native cards? FilterDecay Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) 1 10-21-2011 11:22 AM
UAD cards and HD Native JNS Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) 6 06-06-2011 04:34 PM
HD Native on Core Cards pezking Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) 18 10-19-2010 04:02 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:32 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com