Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2010, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Pro tools HD or HD Native advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hartman View Post
You can't have as many voices as you want in Native, you can have 192. Period....and that sounds like a bunch until you start considering how many of your tracks will be stereo. Also, who in heaven's name would want or need to run 490 Dverbs?

TH
I was stating using an RTAS plug in does not eat up a voice. I work in audio post mixing tv shows and would really have a hard time making it work on an HD2. I run an HD 4 accel and still hit the wall on surround mixes. Most of the time I run out of DSP for the mixer.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:41 AM

why cant you use rtas plugins after you hit the wall on an HD system i dont get the logic
Old 10-15-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd513 View Post
why cant you use rtas plugins after you hit the wall on an HD system i dont get the logic
Well when you run out of dsp for the mixer, voices, and delay comp, their is no rtas plug in for that. Those all take dsp.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:05 AM

alrighty,

just talking about voices, my understanding of the situation is that with PTHD Native the only thing that uses voices is audio tracks, so...

@ 44.1 / 48 KHz you are guaranteed 192 voiced mono audio tracks.

@ 88.2 / 96 KHz you are guaranteed 96 voiced mono audio tracks.

you can use RTAS on aux channels to your heart's content and it will not take up voices and impact the amount of voiced audio tracks.

this is a great improvement over PTHD for mixing, especially if you want to work at higher sample rates.

so, if you put PTHD Native in a screeming fast i7 workstation you should have a very powerful and stable mixing machine.

PTHD Native can be had for under €3000 if you know where to look.

the only thing that is yet to transpire is how it behaves in full-on live multitrack recording situations wrt latency for complex multichannel cue mixes.

i intend to test-drive such a system in such a full-on recording situation as soon as i can get it organised.

if it performs well and the latency is not a problem i will strongly consider selling my PTHD2 PCI system and replacing it with PTHD Native.

richie.

"a paradigm of restraint and good taste at a time of frequent excess"
Old 10-20-2010, 07:15 PM

I opened a session that I was working on in le into a HD session running a accel core card. I cant imagine anyone using a single card successfully even though I have a i7 930 running 64bit. I am at 48bit at have heaps of trouble with overloading the system, however no prob with LE but thats a different beast altogether. One day protools will work for me.