Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-25-2002, 11:44 PM

Default 192 i/o ADAT word clock

I have been doing some projects in 96k recently. I normally have my XV-5080 synth connected via lightpipe to the Digi i/o card on the 192. I have it set to receive word clock via the lightpipe, and this normally works without problems. However, I have noticed that in 96k sessions (ext clock set to "word clock 48k") the XV-5080 will lose the word clock sync after 5-10 minutes. A few pops here and there slowly develops into a constant stream of unpleasant digital noise. If I turn the XV-5080 off and on again, I completely lose the signal all together. The only thing that gets it back is closing PT and restarting, but it will do the same thing. I have the XV-5080 connected to the Digital card NOT the enclosure, and the Real Time Sample Conversion is automatically turned on when using ADAT inputs.

If I set the XV-5080 to get its clock from the BNC connector it will work fine. But it should be able to get its clock over ADAT right? It has no problems in 44 or 48 sessions. This is important because, I need the BNC word clock for another device. I don't want to have to get a word clock distrubutor.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:00 AM

Default Re: 192 i/o ADAT word clock

Shadowbox,

Unless I'm reading the manual wrong, the 192 does lightpipe src on the INPUT only. That is your problem, you are in fact sending it 96K clock.

Why do you need to sync it at all? I assume you are not recording to it, but rather simply playing back samples. If so, clock is absolutely not necessary.

Try setting it to internal clock, I bet all your problems go away. The 192 with up-sample the lightpipe signal to 96K on input to Protools.

I'm bringing 44.1K Gigastudio audio into 88.2K sessions this way, with no problems.

I may send clock to my PC's RME card at some point, so as to record into Giga directly. At that point, I will have to buy an external src box.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:48 AM

Well, I figured that setting the "Ext Clock Out" pop-down menu to "word clock 48k" meant that it was sending out 48k from all digital outputs, including lightpipe. Also, lightpipe isn't capable of passing 96k, so how is it that it work for a few minutes (the XV-5080 indicates that it is receiving 48k clock) and then starts getting errors. The XV-5080 indicates that it is receiving 48k clock.

However, I had never thought about setting the XV to internal clock. In the 44/48 world you have to have all word clocks running from the same source otherwise you get pops and clicks, but I guess what you're saying is that the 192 is upconverting it anyway to match the internal rate. Is that correct?
Old 09-29-2002, 03:29 PM

I've tried to send audio out of the ADAT connectors on the 192 (44.1k) to a PC ADAT soundcard. But the wordclock setup only works properly when the 192 is set as the slave while the PC card is the master (regardless of the direction of the audio).

This is weird behaviour - I've been using that same PC ADAT soundcard for years, passing audio to and from many different lightpipe sources at 44.1k and 48k, with various slave and master setups.

Does the 192 actually send wordclock out of the ADAT connector, or does it only receive?

Am I doing something wrong??

-kid pro