Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-26-2004, 05:52 PM

Default Imaging hard drives for backup under OS 9

I'm using a Mac G4 with OS 9 and Pro Tools 5

I couldn't justify the upgrade to OS X or HD yet either.

Here's my worry.

All my plug authorizations are mostly on my HDs. A few are on iLok. I'm worried that when/if my HDs crash I will loose these and getting them back will be a pain. A lot of them use floppy authorization and floppys fail a lot and I bet I couldn't get them replaced.

So, does imaging a hard drive work to restore your auths? Has anyone tried this? What imaging program do you use?

I know Norton has Ghost for the PC but not sure what's best for the Mac. I really don't want to loose my auths and need to find a good backup for my Mac because I won't be upgrading for another year or so.

Thanks,
Old 07-27-2004, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Imaging hard drives for backup under OS 9

Hello Monte,

Ironically, the guy who made this subject popular on the internet was a guy named Monte McGuire. Several years ago, he laid out what was dubbed "The Monte Method".

He (and now I) suggest using a Disk Image to back up your hard drive, AND ALL OF THE FLOPPY AUTHORIZATIONS that are on it! The files are invisible, and cannot be copied by traditional drag and drop methods, but they ARE there, and do get copied in a brute force bit for bit method like a disk image.

The first step in the Monte Method, is to partition your main hard drive, so that a small partition (750MB?) can be created for your system folder, and any copy protected applications. The reason you make a partition, is so that your disk image doesn't have to be enourmous - you'll only need an image of the partition. You'll want it to fit on a removable media.

The rest of the HD, (the second partition) will contain non-copy protected applications, and even files from the applications on the smaller partition. This second partition has no authorizations, or hidden data, so it can be backed up by traditional drag and drop Finder copy methods.

I use Hard Disk Toolkit to make, and restore my disk images. Make sure you look at the HD info first, so you know the precise size, in blocks, of the image you'll be making. You'll want to make a disk image of all the small header files, and the partition, so basically you make a Disk Image of blocks 0 to N, where N = the highest block of the parition. You can simply look at the starting address of the second parition (the one without the copy protected stuff, and without the system) and subtract 1.

Hard Disk Toolkit tells me that on my hard drive, the second larger parition starts at block 844416, so I make my disk image of blocks 0 through 844415, and get the first partition, and all the formatting and directory info from the hard drive into the image.

Once, you've made the image, deauthorize your software, so the authorizations are back on the floppies, and then load the image you made (which includes authorizations) to the hard drive, wiping out the old unauthorized versions. Perfect.

The best part about this, is that once you have your system set up just perfectly, you can optimize the partition, and the directory (with Disk Warrior) and then make perfect, clean, working disk images. Then when anything starts crashing, or acting strange, you can just restore the image, and everything is perfect, and ready to go in a manner of minutes. This is a major advantage to OS9, and one of the big reasons I'm not switching.

I started with a clean virgin install of the system, and then the software, launching it only once (or twice) to get all the preferences set correctly, then I optimized, and made the disk image. Its perfect, and a known software state with a minimum of corruptions or decay. I've even done dry runs of disk image replacement. I can go from scratching my head at a bug, to a clean install and reboot in under 10 minutes. That means that when I have a deadline, I can KNOW that nothing in the software can slow me down more than 10 minutes. Hardware can break, and I've toyed with keeping a backup computer, but this is THE answer to software trouble.

For more, do a Google Groups search on "Monte method"