Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2004, 03:28 AM

Default Re: hits mixed \"In The Box\"?

Charles Dye - a bix exponent of 'mixing in the box" will be here

http://gearslutz.com/board/forumdisp...a57&forumid=36

For a month answering questions and giving tips on how he does it.

www.gearslutz.com
Old 04-12-2004, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I don't really care what "hits" were mixed in the box, I'm more interested to know what really good sounding music was mixed in the box. You can mix a "hit" on anything and I have never equated the commercial value of a song to be proportional to the sound quality. These days, it's almost mutually exclusive as 5 minutes listen to commercial radio will tell you. What sounds amazing having been mixed "in the box"?
NOTHING!
Blackhawk Down OST Album
Old 04-20-2004, 04:24 PM

Hardnox had it right in the beginning. All the high end systems are good enough. If your an average listener where do you hear music. in the car or in the living room. A great SSL mix sounds no better than a great Pro Tools mix in those environments to an amature. Possibly a professional engineer could pick out differences in those environments, possibly.

We are in the middle of a project with Charles Dye. We have worked with a lot of engineers both analog and digital. And Hardnox said it in the beginning of this thread andhe was dead on, it's not the equipment that makes the mix sound good "it's a given that we're dealing with pro gear" It really is the engineer.

Charles has one of the best sets of ears i've ever seen. He took us on a tour of Cresant Moon and Criteria, and we checked out his analog and Pro Tools mixes before working with him and it all his mixes sound great.

Work with a pro, in HIS favorite envoronment and you'll get a great sound.

Turn Me Up!™ – Sign Up Now to Bring Dynamics Back to Music (www.TurnMeUp.org)
Old 04-21-2004, 12:26 AM

Exactly, at this point it ain't about Analog vrs Digital, ProTools-mix-bus vrs an SSL, Ford vrs Chevy, it is all about who's driving.

I still see so many people hitting ProTools busses red hard and wondering why it sounds grainy compared to analog. Leave a little headroom, please!
Old 04-21-2004, 02:43 AM

I've been mixing a fair amount of surround lately. First the stereo mix, then the 5.1 using much of the same mix. This would be a major pain in the rear on a conventional console. You could only get close to this functionality on a megabuck Oxford at 3k a day.

sm
Old 04-21-2004, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I've been mixing a fair amount of surround lately. First the stereo mix, then the 5.1 using much of the same mix. This would be a major pain in the rear on a conventional console. You could only get close to this functionality on a megabuck Oxford at 3k a day.

sm
Hi Steve, I recently wrote you an email regarding writing a column for a mag. My email didnt go through. Could you send me an email and I will give you more details. Thanks.

Shan

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-21-2004, 01:26 PM

Quote:

Work with a pro, in HIS favorite envoronment and you'll get a great sound.

Dr. J, that rather sums it up.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Hardnox had it right in the beginning. All the high end systems are good enough. If your an average listener where do you hear music. in the car or in the living room. A great SSL mix sounds no better than a great Pro Tools mix in those environments to an amature. Possibly a professional engineer could pick out differences in those environments, possibly.

We are in the middle of a project with Charles Dye. We have worked with a lot of engineers both analog and digital. And Hardnox said it in the beginning of this thread andhe was dead on, it's not the equipment that makes the mix sound good "it's a given that we're dealing with pro gear" It really is the engineer.
8ULL*****

If this where the case, then we'd all be using Mackie mixers and 4-tracks out of the basements of our homes.

If you can't hear the difference, then you never will. Maybe you should find another job.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:23 PM

Hmmm. . . Do you thing PeeTee is a little harsh?

Even those of us that believe ProTools gets the job done are smart enough to know that using a 4 track will not do the trick. I think one of the points is many of use would rather use a computer graphical interface with everything integrated and total recall, not a mixer. Not sure why a Mackie got dragged into the response above.

For my ears ProTools HD sounds good-enough ( but we are all looking forward to the 48bit mix bus). I am not one of those people that claims to heard the difference from gold plated cables or an improvement to the transient response of a hi-end stereo amplifer after changing to a low oxygen A/C power cable with 30 minutes between listening tests. I guess my ears are just not that good besides I'd rather work on music in an environment that can afford time to be creative as well as make a few mistakes that I can fix the next day or week without breaking the project's budget. ProTools HD provides for that. If you do a good job of collecting the right sounds, including the right analog distortions for color and character along the way, it works out just fine.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:33 PM

The next LA Pro Tools users group mtg is focusing on MITB on May 6th at RSPE.