Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2012, 12:49 AM

Default Re: Audio tracks stop playing back/outputs disable

So - it's back for me...
I'm on 10.2.0

So - I set up a stereo track with some audio on it. No audio.
I created a new audio track underneath and moved the audio.
The audio played.
I deleted the bad (and now empty) audio track...
Now, the new audio track stopped working.

Hm....

Saved the session for documentation.

Opened my system up this morning and reopened the session, and I could not recreate the problem.

Odd.

Boe
Old 08-12-2013, 06:52 AM

Thought I'd revive this post....

Anyone have a solution for Pro Tools 9.0.6?
Old 08-12-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingojr View Post
Thought I'd revive this post....

Anyone have a solution for Pro Tools 9.0.6?
I'm more than a year I would start a new post You'd get more help that way
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:56 AM

Currently on Pro Tools HDX 11.1.2 and still getting the issue where audio tracks randomly stop playing/lose voices. Sometimes stereo tracks only output one side. Resetting the track output/voice or muting it doesn't resolve the problem in my case. What does work is inserting empty stereo tracks (2 or 3) above the offending track (moves the voice assignment problem up the track list to the empty track(s)) or moving the audio to a new track further down in the session. The other 'workaround' is to restart Pro Tools. As others have stated before, the problem always seems to occur after importing stuff: audio, video, session data, drag and drop sound fx from Soundminer, etc. Also happens after creating new tracks or importing 'track templates'. It's as if Pro Tools struggles to properly re-allocate voices upon importing audio in bigger sessions. I work at a broadcast post-facility and this is by far the most annoying bug I've ever come across. Seriously hampers my work (not to mention the video playback issues we're all having in PT11). Avid, I hope this is still a top priority for you.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:13 PM

Same problem here PT 10.3.7

Does not happen after any specific task. Am editing dialogue on tracks that have no plugins, no new audio joining session either.

Randomly the top track or top two tracks int the session stop outputting audio - no level meters either.

Restarting Pro tools or reassigning the output fixes it but its a major pita.

Looking for a fix.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:19 AM

Total PT11 noob here. I'm running 11.1.2, and had this issue using BOOM on an Instrument track.

After combing through many pages of this thread, I remember almost exactly what I did and what happened:

I had several regular audio tracks (no plugins on those yet, I'm still learning how to get around! Plus, no edits or cuts, just pure .wav files), and BOOM on an instrument track, on which I successfully recorded MIDI. Playback was as expected (drums + the other audio tracks).

I then imported a midi file to a new midi track; then created an aux input track, on which I ran Xpand2; routed midi to that track.

I then got expected playback a couple of times when auditioning synth patches on the Xpand track, probably a couple of minutes of stopping and playing.

THEN, the audio from BOOM stopped, while playback of the other tracks continued to play, while I was staring at the Xpand patch menu. The Xpand track continued to playback as expected.

I did not touch any routing or I/O (or any other) settings, only saved, exited, and restarted, and was relieved that this resolved the issue. Hope this helps with a bug fix. It may be worth noting that I'm on OS X Mavericks 10.9.2 (and was when I installed PT11).
Old 04-04-2014, 01:06 PM

April 2014
  • I'm having same issues
  • This thread has been here for a number of years
  • Still NO FIX?
Go figure!

Hardware Overview:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
Memory: 8 GB

Pro Tools Express:

Version: 10.3.3.106
Kind: Intel
64-Bit (Intel): No

Interface:
Focusrite: Saffire 6 USB
Old 05-01-2014, 04:33 PM

Same issue on a completely BRAND NEW SETUP!

I am running Pro Tools 10.3.8 (i think, latest 10.x version anyway) on a brand new Mac Pro (12GB RAM, QuadCore 3.5GHz), outputting through an old M-Box2 Mini. I have relatively large sessions (50-70 tracks), with a fair amount of plug-ins (2-5 on most tracks).

I just started having issues with dropping audio during playback. Every 5 minutes!!! It usually happens when I am isolating a few tracks, muting and soloing, to tweak the mix. Suddenly one will just stop playing back in the mix, not always one of the tracks I am working on, so it can be very confusing and frustrating.

Upon restart of ProTools, the track will play back fine.

Also, I am frequently getting a single tone of feedback that causes me to quickly turn my monitor level all the way down. Sometimes I can turn them back up, sometimes I have to restart ProTools.

This is debilitating. I just spent $3500 on a computer, and $700 on Pro Tools, just to finish mixing an album that my old setup couldn't handle. Now this!?!? Avid should be embarrassed by this problem, and especially by the fact that they haven't even acknowledged or commented on this thread in over 5 years!!!
Old 05-01-2014, 04:35 PM

I am using some of the plug ins mentioned in this thread, and will be uninstalling to see what happens then.
Including: H EQ, Oxford EQ, Soundtoys Filter Freak.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:47 PM

Bummer. However, I believe Pro Tools 10 is not officially supported on Mavericks. And not that it is at fault but you should think about getting a better interface to support that powerful computer! I think the mbox 2 is pretty outdated at this point and I probably wouldn't trust it to run well on a thunderbolt rig (even if it is USB).