How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 01-06-2009, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Driving Live Performance

Thanks Erik!

First post here and answer came about an hour after posting, great

I got to think what would be the best choice to go, with Frontier Designs system or even with another Pro Tools. I just want that everything happens when you push a button...but that MMC "record" would be really nice feature in next release of software.

Janne
Old 01-06-2009, 12:36 PM

There are 3 versions of "record" in the MMC spec, punch in, punch out, and ready. We would need to determine which to lobby for (why not all three). I can kick the idea around with Sheldon next week at NAMM.

Erik
Old 01-06-2009, 12:42 PM

That would be great, thanks!!!

Nice to have you Gurus here around :)

Janne
Old 01-09-2009, 06:56 AM

My new system comes after week or so and meanwhile I have tried to figure out the console with the Standalone software, manual etc.

In the earlier post I was wondering if it is possible to put the Pro tools to a record mode with MMC in a snapshot but there is not yet that command. But I think it might be possible with Control Change. So if somebody has too much free time and could test the next setup it would be great! Or if not I can report if this is working after few weeks.

From the Pro tools (Setup - Peripherals - Midi Controllers) choose M-Audio Keyboard from "Type" (I think "M-Audio Keyboard" is included only in the new Pro Tools 8)

"Receive from" is your MIDI interface input where the Venue is connected

"Send To" can be some other (free) channel (if it is possible do not select the same channel where your Venue is receiving midi)

And from "# Ch´s" choose 1 or if there is already some value leave it like that (or choose some other value, I think it doesn´t matter).

In the Pro Tools enable record in some tracks and put the Pro Tools to "QuickPunch" -mode (from "Options").

In the Venue make a new Snapshot. Now ADD "Control Change" from Snapshots MIDI window. Change the values so that "Ch" is 1 (or what ever is your Venues midi output channel), "Control" is 118 and "Value" is 127.

Playback your Pro Tools session (with MMC "Play" Snapshot or direct from Pro Tools). Hit the new "Control Change" Snapshot. Now your Pro Tools SHOULD record...

If this trick works it is also possible to control some other things in Pro Tools from Venue.

Cheers,

Janne
Old 01-26-2009, 07:56 AM

I have now tested this 'record' snapshot trick and it works.

Cheers,

Janne