Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2015, 10:54 AM

I record at 48k since it's just easier if you're also working with video not to have to change the sample rate all the time. With most (if not all) 3rd party interfaces, you have to close Pro Tools to change the sample rate - a real PITA, especially since Pro Tools doesn't always boot right up recognizing the change.

Chris
Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P / i7 6700K 4.1 GHz / 32GB Crucial DDR4
macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6
Pro Tools HD 2019.6
Old 06-05-2015, 11:01 AM

Default why i use 48k

Both my Eleven Rack and my Korg M3 run at 48k. I use SPdif connections for both to my RME Fireface 800. At 44.1K I get some error messages saying the 11Rack is at the wrong sample rate, and the M3 gets ticks from the clock mismatch.

If i ever actually finish a project, then I'll worry about dither

http://duc.avid.com/images/smilies/frown.gif
Old 06-05-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmant View Post
Both my Eleven Rack and my Korg M3 run at 48k. I use SPdif connections for both to my RME Fireface 800. At 44.1K I get some error messages saying the 11Rack is at the wrong sample rate, and the M3 gets ticks from the clock mismatch.
You may want to start a thread about this, there's more to it than plugging in SPDIF. You've got to set things up so one device is the clock master, and the others are slaves.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:21 AM

That's also true with Macs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
I record at 48k since it's just easier if you're also working with video not to have to change the sample rate all the time. With most (if not all) 3rd party interfaces, you have to close Pro Tools to change the sample rate - a real PITA, especially since Pro Tools doesn't always boot right up recognizing the change.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:39 AM

There's an easier and more objective way to do this. See http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=368473. Measuring it yourself is really the only sure way to determine your latencies. However, other DAWs do display the "Playback Engine" input and output latencies as reported by the interface's driver - which may or may not be correct)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Given that HD has lower inherent latency, its probably going to be fine. Its pretty easy to test it out yourself(and I highly recommend everyone check it out). Slap on some phones, put up a mic with that same chain of plugins and give a listen. For most of us, this will reveal any "ugliness" in the time it takes to say "test one two"(I would recommend moving to 48K over 44.1K though)
Old 06-05-2015, 08:02 PM

Default Re: How many samples delay can most people track with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amack View Post
That's also true with Macs?
No - I just tested it and I can change it in Pro Tools, no problem. Really wish I could afford a Mac for my main DAW!

Chris
Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P / i7 6700K 4.1 GHz / 32GB Crucial DDR4
macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6
Pro Tools HD 2019.6
Old 06-06-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amack View Post
There's an easier and more objective way to do this. See http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=368473. Measuring it yourself is really the only sure way to determine your latencies. However, other DAWs do display the "Playback Engine" input and output latencies as reported by the interface's driver - which may or may not be correct)!
There's really no more objective a method than putting on headphones and trying it out in a real-life recording session. That tells me everything I need to know

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-06-2015, 10:06 AM

Semantics I guess. Maybe I should have said "less subjective" or "quantifiable" instead of "objective"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
There's really no more objective a method than putting on headphones and trying it out in a real-life recording session. That tells me everything I need to know
Old 06-06-2015, 10:09 AM

Default How many samples delay can most people track with

Same here! No math can ever tell me something more than my ears can.. Though I've noticed that for drummers , anything greater than a 2ms latency is unacceptable and they begin hearing flamming. A vocalist will hear a slight doubling at greater than 3-4ms. Instrumentalist can usually bear a little more.

PT HD thru HD hardware using AAX DSP plugin version will always be under 2ms of latency. Add some AAX Native plugins, then even w/HD hardware all bets are off. And if memory serves Low Latency Monitoring switch on Will defeat any plug-ins being run on a record input channel.

Not all ASIO drivers can take advantage of Low Latency Monitoring on nonHD interfaces either.. So you have to test by ear there too.

The standard of the pro industry is that you have to have sub 2ms latency to have latency be a non-issue for players. Hence why most pro rooms have PT HD + Avid Hardware.

Now 2 milliseconds… How many "samples" is that at 48K when you're looking at the delay compensation window? Somebody do the math for me..
Old 06-06-2015, 10:34 AM

48K is 48,000 samples per second = 48 samples per millisecond (S/ms). 48 S/ms * 2 ms = 96 samples. How do you know how much latency you're getting with HD if you haven't measured it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
Same here! No math can ever tell me something more than my ears can.. Though I've noticed that for drummers , anything greater than a 2ms latency is unacceptable and they begin hearing flamming. A vocalist will hear a slight doubling at greater than 3-4ms. Instrumentalist can usually bear a little more.

PT HD thru HD hardware using AAX DSP plugin version will always be under 2ms of latency. Add some AAX Native plugins, then even w/HD hardware all bets are off. And if memory serves Low Latency Monitoring switch on Will defeat any plug-ins being run on a record input channel.

Not all ASIO drivers can take advantage of Low Latency Monitoring on nonHD interfaces either.. So you have to test by ear there too.

The standard of the pro industry is that you have to have sub 2ms latency to have latency be a non-issue for players. Hence why most pro rooms have PT HD + Avid Hardware.

Now 2 milliseconds… How many "samples" is that at 48K when you're looking at the delay compensation window? Somebody do the math for me..