Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 03-19-2007, 03:43 PM

Default My Love Hate relationship with structure.....

Well, I love the idea, the fact that even some of my Logic Exs patches work makes me a VERY HAPPY person... The others, yes, I get the plup or whatever we're calling it. But my real issue is the crashing! Literally every other patch I load crashes it... I've set all my settings according to the read-me, etc etc.. If anyone has any other things I might try to make it a little more stable please let me know, cause I do love hearing my logic sounds in pt. Thanks a ton

The Note Music
www.myspace.com/thenotemusic
Dual 2.0Ghz PPC 3gb Ram, Digi 002R
Old 03-19-2007, 04:45 PM

Default Re: My Love Hate relationship with structure.....

'fraid I can't help you with your stability issues as I haven't got to spend a lot of time with it yet, but I've yet to have a single crash and apart from a few strange quirks it's performed really well when just using it with the default samples on my machine - I haven't loaded any other sample libraries - specs below (PC only).

You should post the details of your hardware/software setup and the specifics of each problem and how to recreate it here. Digi are using this forum so that each tester can help them make it as stable and successful on release and your info would no doubt be of great use to not only them but other future users.

I do have a question that intrigues me though; Have you noticed any difference in sound characteristics between Logic and Pro Tools when the same samples are playing? It's obviously a subjective and even contestable issue, but I sometimes feel that Logic has a (difficult to describe) somehow "punchy" and "present" quality to it, almost with a sort of tight sheen over the whole sound that seems to suite itself to contemporary, urban, pop or very 'produced' type of music - while Pro Tools has a more "open", "natural" sound that complements classical or Jazz or World or some Rock music (though of course it's perfectly possible to achieve either effect with both sequencers).

I don't know your opinion or experience with this debate, but I've talked with many people who have heard some kind of difference - just wondering if I was really just hearing things.

Sonny
Old 03-19-2007, 05:16 PM

Well to start, i'm using a Dual 2.0ghz PPC with 3gb ram, osx 10.4.8 & Pt 7.3.x... I've got structure on Inst Tracks... And so far have only tried it in new sessions where its all thats up.. (still afraid to lose anything...) And I get a crash of PT just about every other patch I load... Whether its a "structure patch" or EXS doesn't seem to matter too much, but i'd say the Structure ones are a little more stable for the most part, but not a ton...

As for Logic vs pt sound... i know what they're saying.. Things in PT sound "true" and "accurate".... Whereas things in Logic, to some (and I hear what they're saying) sounds "smoother" and "punchier", I agree with this to a certain extent.... Personally I think Pt sounds "truer" to what you do... I don't know what logic does thats diff but I think it sounds, "blurry" if that makes sense, its all there, but its too smooth, its not "right".. I don't know... I do rock, and I like pt more for it... And the EXS samples sound great wherever you are.. unless they're plupping in Structure...

The Note Music
Old 03-19-2007, 06:43 PM

I am happy to report I haven't had any crashes with Structure on both my Mac Pro and on my Macbook. Other then the "plup" of the exs libraries i'm cooking. One thing to note is that the exs and structure are different samplers. Just like battery sounds way different, all plug-in's have there special sound to them.

Pro Tools 10 HD Native | Mbox 3 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 | OSX 10.7.4

Pro Tools Music & Post Operator V6-8, Instructor, and Expert ICON Mixer Certified.
Multi-Platinum Pro Tools Videos
Old 03-20-2007, 03:08 PM

I just upgraded to 7.3.1cs2 hoping there was something in there that might help.... nope.... Still constant crashes.... But, when it works I still LOVE it! Anybody else getting these crashes??

The Note Music
Old 03-22-2007, 04:32 AM
AIR Music Technology

CFB25, everybody,

do these crashes only happen, when loading a foreign patch? If yes, what patches are you trying to load?

Regards