Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2001, 12:40 AM

Default CD-R & CD-RW deals

Where are you guys buying your blank media spindles from?
I'm looking for a 50 pack or a 25 pack with slim cases for my Que 16x10x40 Firewire drive.
Old 07-13-2001, 08:11 AM

Default Re: CD-R & CD-RW deals

Without getting into yet another argument about the virtues of cheap vs. branded media, and blue vs. gold vs. black colored media...here's where I go, and I've been satisfied time and again
http://www.yesbuy.net/index.html

Tip: If you get unbranded media from ANYWHERE, try to track down Dixon Redi-Sharp Plus markers instead of Sharpies. They're safer in the long run.

Rig: MacBook Pro (15,1) 6-Core i7 2.6GHz / 32GB RAM / OS 13.5.2 / PT 2023.9 / Waves Horizon v14 / iZotope Music Production Suite 4.1 / Focusrite Clarett 4pre USB / Apple SSD AP1024M 1 TB (System), Samsung T5 SSD 1 TB (Audio) / Cal-Digit TS3 Plus TB3 Dock / Genelec 1030A Monitors
Old 07-13-2001, 10:00 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by RobbaDobba:
Without getting into yet another argument about the virtues of cheap vs. branded media, and blue vs. gold vs. black colored media...here's where I go, and I've been satisfied time and again
http://www.yesbuy.net/index.html

Tip: If you get unbranded media from ANYWHERE, try to track down Dixon Redi-Sharp Plus markers instead of Sharpies. They're safer in the long run.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, can you get into some of the differences for my poor sake?
A breif crash course would be just fine ... I understand the stresses that come with doing this.
Old 07-13-2001, 01:26 PM

There are those that believe that unbranded (read: shiny silver and blank on top) media is crap. I disagree, same as I believe that some branded media I've purchased is DEFINITE crap!

For my purposes (Plextor 820 CD Burner and Yamaha 8424 CD Burner, and HHB CDR-850 Plus), the unbranded blanks with the light blue bottoms (like the ones they sell at Yesbuy.net and as STI-Certified Digital Media at Circuit City) are the best, most successfully burned and translatable to everything I've fed them into (Walkmen, Boom Boxes, etc...).

Again, this is subjective. It works for ME. Some think that the gold or "Silver/Silver" CD-Rs are the best. Not for ME. Silver/blue all the way.

What I'm getting at is, just find something that works for you in your situation and stick with it. Experiment with different brands until you find one or a few you're happy with and stick with them. Everyone has an opinion on this topic and they're all 100% subjective.

Rig: MacBook Pro (15,1) 6-Core i7 2.6GHz / 32GB RAM / OS 13.5.2 / PT 2023.9 / Waves Horizon v14 / iZotope Music Production Suite 4.1 / Focusrite Clarett 4pre USB / Apple SSD AP1024M 1 TB (System), Samsung T5 SSD 1 TB (Audio) / Cal-Digit TS3 Plus TB3 Dock / Genelec 1030A Monitors
Old 07-13-2001, 01:59 PM

Well thanks for taking the time to explain.
At least now I know not to go order 100 CD-R without testing them with a 10 pack or something first!
I wonder if Que! reccomends a specific type? I'll look into that.