Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2003, 04:42 PM

Default Projects from TDM>LE>TDM>LE etc...

I'm about to start the year in NYU's music technology program, and one of the first things I'll be doing is recording a demo for some very talented friends. Of course, I'll be utilizing studio A and the SSL and pro tools (at the end of last year, they still had 5.1, so I'm not sure whether HD is in there yet).

For years, I've used a PC and cubase for my own music and a few clients, but guys working on my a/c fried my computer. I decided to do what I've been meaning to do for a while and buy a mac and a 001. I should have both of these by the time I start the project.

My question is, what is involved in transfering projects from TDM to LE versions of pro tools for editing? I don't want to have to tie up valuable studio time editing simple stuff. I have an ipod I can use to transfer the files... but what will I need to do to open the projects in LE? I plan on keeping the sample rate at 44.1 so that won't be a problem, and for the period that we're editing and not mixing I'll refrain from using plugins and inserts so there's no problem with that. What else is involved? Will anything get lost?

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2003, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Projects from TDM>LE>TDM>LE etc...

Don't worry, you shouldn't have any problems at all. I do this ALL the time between an LE 5.2 and a 5.1 TDM system. Doing it tomorrow in fact to do all the basic tracking for an album Im producing. Everything else will be edited (hopefully none) and overdubbed at my place.

I bring things back and forth on a firewire drive and have never had any problems (as long as I don't exceed the 24 track limit on LE 5.2; I know I should upgrade to 5.3 for 32 but I rarely need that many tracks).

One thing I am careful about however, as carrying around drives is a bit fragile for me, is that I request DVD+R backups of all of the work I do at other studios before they wipe their drives. But I also do this between any kind of systems between any kind of studios, so it isn't protools specific.

D
Old 08-23-2003, 01:10 AM

Default Re: Projects from TDM>LE>TDM>LE etc...

So the file format is the same?

Does anything get lost by opening a project in LE?

Is this an "import" or an "open" type thing?

What happens if I have a TDM plug-in inserted and open the project in LE? (or a send, etc)

Thanks for answering, btw...