Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-25-2001, 05:03 PM

Default What sort of soundcard should I buy?

In order to control the B4/Pro52 and other soft synths with my keyboard using midi,I have to get a second soundcard.
Is there a particular card I should get so as not to interfere with the 001?
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2001, 08:46 PM

Default Re: What sort of soundcard should I buy?

Soundblaster Live!
Old 10-25-2001, 10:40 PM

Actually, the new Sound Blaster Audigy (the 'Live's' long overdue upgrade) is about to hit the shelves, if it hasen't already. I know it's now available in the UK as I just read a most outstanding review of it.

Alternatively, there's the M-Audio 2496 Audiophile. By far, the best bang for the buck.
Both these cards are in the same price range with similar features.

more info at: www.creativelabs.com - for the new Audigy www.midiman.com - for the Audiophile

good luck

pk
Old 10-26-2001, 03:13 AM

What do you giys think about the Soundblaster live Platinum. I'm just about to install PTLE and that's the soundcard in my PC at the moment.
Old 10-26-2001, 04:27 AM

i got the platinum. works great, but dont' expect perfection. i bought it for the spdif out. soundblasters have noise. the spdif has less noise than the analog outs but when i run soft b4 and reaktor (which don't have a 48khz samplerate option) i get tiny clicks - barely audible, but noticable when soloed. so i switch to the analog out for those instruments. when i run drums, i use the spdif.

overall, i'm very happy with it.....
Old 10-27-2001, 12:00 AM

Thankyou all for your suggestions,I think I might go w/ the audigy..
Thankyou mr hat (hehe)

you're a wonderful bunch,

cheers
Old 10-28-2001, 02:36 PM

Is there a particular card I should get so as not to interfere with the 001?

Hey Lewis:
You don't need a sound card for your 001. All you need is a power amp(even a consumer amp will do with a cable that goes from 1/4 inch to RCA connectors). If you get an additional sound card you will just put more stress into your CPU while using the 001. You don't want that. You want the Digi001 to use all of the computer's CPU power because it depends on it 100%. Getting that extra sound card will limit your 001 use of RTAS plugins(Less Plugins). And then ofcouse if you don't get the extra sound card you have more power which = to more RTAS plugins that can be used in Pro Tools.
I have my 001 going out of 1&2(1/4inch) or Mon OutL/R(also 1/4 inch) to my Onkyo Amp In(RCA), and it sounds really good and loud. If you want great sound, then I recommend Professional gear for that.
Just goto your Multimedia Setup(Inside the Control Panel), select playback output to read the Digi001 1-2. Connect your cable from the 001(1/4inch) to your Amp(RCA). And that is that. If you don't want to do that, then use your 001's Mon L/R out to the Amp. No setup changes required. No matter what you do, Mon L/R are always going to send a signal out thru those output jacks. In Fact if you use your Mon L/R outs(Monitor button at the front must be pushed in) you can have your computer off, and still be able to monitor inputs 3-4 going out of Mon L/R.

Believe me you won't interfere with 001's power. It was inteded to work that way. Plus all of my other applications work with my 001..Hope info helped ya out...Joser
Old 10-28-2001, 03:05 PM

Woops I didn't read carefully what the second card was for. Sound Cards have the worst Midi units that ever existed. All of them!!! Ask the Pro's. They know. Your best bet is to buy a USB Midi Controller(Ex Midi Man's MidiSport 2x2 ($65 or less)). Or if you need more than that, go with the hire version. Sound cards have to process the sound and also the Midi sets of instructions all at once, and that is not the way to go. With the Midi Controller your just sending out Midi Instructions In & Out without any interuption from the sound card. Where do you notice this the most. When using MTC(Midi Time Code) for sync and MC(Midi Control). Sync completley sucks thru a sound card. The more Midi devices you hook up to the sound card the more it has to process sound and midi sets of instruction. If you depend on those sets of instrucions to get there on time. Don't buy a sound card with Midi features. Go with The Midi Controller(USB). It works better. The 001 can handle the pressure too. Test it before you go spend unesessary $$$. For the price you payed the 001. It Better work! I haven't heard any of my friends complain about the Midi ports on the 001...hope the info helped ya...Joser [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2001, 07:29 PM

Joser,

I can see you're really trying to help out there and that's wonderful, but it seems to me that you drifted off track with Lewis' initial question and his reason for wanting an additional soundcard.
What's all this stuff you're talking about with the power amp and the Mon-Outs and more RTAS plugins because another soundcard sucks up Digi's ressources and midi sucks on anything but an 001 or whatever else?

I'll stop right there before I make an @$$ out of myself and come across as being offensive. Perhaps someone can interject and either put me in my place in your defense, or interpret your suggestions more clearly.

pk
Old 10-28-2001, 09:26 PM

Speed Kills, Man [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]