Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2001, 02:53 AM

Default Compressing the main mix?

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] I need tips on compression while mixing... I do alot of hip hop stuff, been recording for about 4-5 years and I STILL don't completely understand compression. I don't think I ever will completely understand it. Every compressor I come across has different names for the same type of settings and I always find myself confused. So when I go to throw a compressor on my mix, I just turn knobs til I THINK it sounds good. I gotta break this habit. Any suggestions on particular compressor settings that work good on final mixes? I've tried the Bombfactory and the Waves, I probably just suck at turning those dadgum knobs.. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

thanks for any feedback
Old 09-02-2001, 04:33 AM

Default Re: Compressing the main mix?

You're doing the right thing. Compression is an art, not a science, and there are few, if any, hard and fast rules. It's like "season to taste" in cooking. Turn the knobs until it sounds good. Then it's right. You can listen to the final mix on several different systems, rather than just your monitoring setup, if you really want to get it *just right*.

b
Old 09-02-2001, 06:27 AM

Hi Mr Peete!

Like basic said: There are no strict rules in the art of compression.
If you don´t know the function of a certain parameter just try it by changing its setting and hear whats happening... I know this is probably not what you wanna hear but it would be too much explaining the work and functions of a compressor in details.
But there´s one tip I can give you:
Don´t compress the master when mixing!
Leave it up for the mastering process. Especially when using a cheap broadband compressor this can truly ruin your whole mix. Every mastering engineer will kill you for doing this. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Mix your song without compression then try to give good mastering to the tune.
This can be done by a mastering studio or (if youdon´t have the money) by yourself. You can get good results by using multiband compressor plugins like TC masterX or Waves C4. Or use mastering software like prosoniq sonic WORX...

I hope i could help you...

Markus
Old 09-02-2001, 09:15 AM

Peete, I think not knowing a lot about compression can give you an advantage. Tweaking until things sound good is how it's supposed to be done. knowing how it works does make it easier and you may be able to get omre out of it. However, many people (myself included at times) choose their settings visually instead of by listening.

If you're using an 001, chances are your projects aren't going to a mastering engineer. So I suggest doing two versions of your mixes. One with compression, one without. Compare the two and see if the compression is helping or hurting. If its the latter, time to go tweak some more.

PS. It also helps to compare mixes to your favorite CDs. This can be painful to do, but the closer you get the better your mixes will sound.
Old 09-02-2001, 10:35 AM

Thanks for the input you guys. I REALLY appreciate it. Kinda helps to know that I'm not neccessarily doing anything wrong.

One more thing, when I was experimenting wit the Bombfactory Plugs (in particular the 1176), I really liked the tone it gave the overall mix. I wanna get that tone (it was really warm in comparison to the original mix). How do I get that warmth without too much compression?
Old 09-02-2001, 10:42 AM

Some compressor basics.

Most compressors have these knobs in common:
Threshold- The level where the compressor stsrts to do its stuff. No matter how the other controls are set, if the Threshold is set too high, the compressor will do nothing. Only signals higher than the Threshold will be affected.

Compresson ratio -Affects how much the sound is "volume-restricted". A 4:1 ratio means that for every 4 db of sound over the Threshold, the output of the compressor will change 1 db.

The Knee is an adjustment for how agressive the compressor attacks the sound. It is a region where the ratio is slowly increased to the required setting.

The Attack and Release settings determine how fast the compressor starts to work and stops working. A slow attack will let transents through while a fast attack stops them. Listen to a snare and play with the attack. The Release will let the compressor increase the gain after a loud passage. Faster times on both wil make the compressor more aggressive and audible.

Lowering the Threshold, increasing the Ratio and having fast attack and release times will make the compressor more audible and affect the music more. High Threshold and low Ratio with slower attack and release will make it affect the music less.

Your good musical taste will determine the settings.

The Waves manuals have some excellent explainations on audio processing.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 09-02-2001, 10:45 AM

NEVER EVER compress a mix. Two Buss compression is best left to the artist known as the mastering engineer. You just make his job harder if not impossible.

At least as suggested do an uncompressed mix as a back up.
Old 09-02-2001, 11:26 AM

Here is a good place to start for som great Tips. This will explain a compressor's setting and some overall good advice on othe mixxing questions... Remember it is just guids and the ultimate sound depends on what you want to achive. Also Electronic Musician had a great artical on compression called "The Big Squeeze" in the February 2001 issue. Keep tweeking & Testing..!! Hope this helps.

Gilbert
Old 09-02-2001, 11:29 AM

P.S.
I do agree with Alan. Keep An original mix for backup!
Old 09-02-2001, 01:28 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Park Seward:

A 4:1 ratio means that for every 4 db of sound over the Threshold, the output of the compressor will change 1 db.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So when you say "change", do you mean decrease?