Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2012, 08:01 AM

Exclamation ProTools 10 (HDX) with NI Maschine, doubled notes

Anyone running Native Instruments Maschine in Pro Tools 10 on a Mac Pro with HDX hardware?

I've got this very strange issue which i can reproduce 100% of the time on our system, but runs fine on the same system when set to Aggregate IO (not using HDX engine).
As the number of processors allocated in the Playback engine is increased, the doubled notes in Maschine playback gets worse.
As you increase the H/W buffer size, the timing goes bad and things go horribly out of sync.

Could anyone else check this happens on their HDX or HD system running Pro Tools 10? Reported this to NI who are currently investigating:

I'm running a Mac Pro 2.93 8-core Nehalem with HDX 2, PT 10.2, and a brand new session containing only one track, which is an Instrument track with Maschine instanciated.

Below is the gist of the bug report i sent across to NI

Steps to reproduce:

• Create a new session, (For this example, 24 bit / 44.1)

• Create new Stereo Instrument track, insert Maschine onto it and double click to load a factory kit such as "808 KIT". Send the output of the Instrument track to Bus 1-2

• Create a Stereo Audio track below the Instrument track to record Bus 1-2.

Next, i just hit platy in the Pro Tools transport (space bar) to start playback of Machine while recording it onto the Audio track below.

Experiment with different number of processors allocated to Pro Tools

Observations:

While set to 1 processor, everything seems fine.

This is what i experienced with any number of processors above 1 -

Playback engine settings:

• HDX DRIVER, 1 PROCESSOR 128 Sample Buffer - FINE

• HDX DRIVER, 7 PROCESSORS 128 Sample Buffer - Random doubled notes / flamming / phasing

• HDX DRIVER, 16 PROCESSORS 128 Sample Buffer - As above but worse

• HDX DRIVER, 16 PROCESSORS 1024 Sample Buffer - The bigger sample buffer has made things even worse. All sorts of flamming, timing problems, note doubling, missing hits and general instability.

Mac Pro 2.93ghz 8-Core Nehalem
2x HDX Cards
32 Channel D Control
Old 07-20-2012, 10:03 AM

Default Re: ProTools 10 (HDX) with NI Maschine, doubled notes

i'm not in the studio at the moment to test exactly but I can also confirm i've had odd sync issues in HDX 10.2 (and 10 in general) with maschine, it's jittery - also jittery when used in Vienna Ensemble in 10.2. It was fine in 9. Fine as standalone / as AU etc

btw separately make sure you don't leave any instruments in record mode as this just destroys all synced up VI's (and machine) playing live.

Unfortunately as we all know programming / extensive VI stuff in a delay comp HDX session is still a nightmare...
Old 07-21-2012, 11:29 AM

How is it with the Instrument track output 1-2?
I usually use a pre or post fader send to my record track but monitor while creating from the instrument track.
ADC adjust after recording (Option?)
Old 07-24-2012, 08:23 AM

Confirmed now here, 10.7.2 2x2.26 nehalem, 10.2 PT - i have the jitter any more than one processor on HDX, going straight to main outs 1+2. load aggregate or digital out as playback device, same session and no jitter when higher processor count..

is this a HDX or machine issue? I've also as above had problems with sync/maschine in VEP in PT so not sure if it's definitely a "third party rtas"issue
Old 07-26-2012, 03:13 AM

can anyone point me to the mail to raise a bug report with Avid on this?
Old 07-27-2012, 04:56 PM

Pt's 10.2 Hangs here with Machine.dmg in, Remove and all is working.
OS 10.7.4
HDX1 / omni
Old 09-18-2012, 08:16 AM

rcarline, just to report 10.3 seems better than 10.2, i've also updated the controller NI to latest but still on 1.7.2 machine (no 1.8 as yet).

occasional glitch seemingly related to open browser/other computer activity but generally timing better than the chaotic 10.2 buffer increases . double checking as i raised bug report on this with NI so if you update let me know what you find.

running 10.3, 10.7.3 7 proc 13 proc 128 buffer
Old 10-31-2012, 11:11 PM

John Simmons,

Are you running HDX2 (or1) on Snow Leopard. I would love to do that, but I thought, HDX was Lion and Mountain Lion only?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Peter
Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterjk View Post
John Simmons,

Are you running HDX2 (or1) on Snow Leopard. I would love to do that, but I thought, HDX was Lion and Mountain Lion only?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Peter

HDX 10.3.2 now on mountain lion, same problems, NI are aware.

However as of today trying the new Sugar Bytes "Transvst" wrapper removing the dpm and wrapping the VST i'm not getting the jittering, HDX various buffers. Seems good so far , your mileage my vary as always. I don't work for Sugar bytes but you can see my enthusiasm for this brand new plug on the AAX forum!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:16 PM

HDX1 (10.3.3) on MacPro 4,1 (32GB of RAM) running ML (10.8.2) with Maschine 1.8.2.

Phasing / double hits constantly (and randomly).

Worked fine on my HD5 / PT9 setup two weeks ago (same computer, only 6GB of RAM).

I would try the Sugar Bytes wrapper but it has been pulled from the site.

NI or AVID problem? Any solutions?