Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2011, 02:07 AM

Default Issues with iLok and retrieving new license

I lost my iLok while moving to a new apartment. I have reported the iLok missing (on iLoks homepage) and transfered temporary licenses to my new iLok. On this there is a license for PT-MP 7 and one for PT 8-MP. When I had the temporary licenses installed on my new iLok I bought an upgrade to PT 9-MP. This license is now ready to be downloaded to my new iLok. When I try to download it I get a message telling me that I need to surrender my license for PT8-MP - which of course I am happy to do, but an error message tells me that the license isn´t present on my iLok (although I can see it)

Is there a problem upgrading from a temporary iLok license?

I have been trying to retrieve my license through the support on Avids support page. I bought a service transfer fee thinking that this would replace my PT8-MP license (the only license I have bought from the Avid store). Do I also have to buy a phone call to get this completed? (Am I the only on who finds the support from Avid extremely confusing?)

Thank you for any answer you can provide. I have searched this forum without finding exactly what I need to knw.
PT M-powered 8.01
Old 08-14-2011, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Issues with iLok and retrieving new license

No you are not the only one who finds Avid support confusing. I am trying to get a replacement license for PT9 onto a new iLok and I have know idea how to use their website to do this...
Old 08-14-2011, 07:26 PM

It's a real PIA but Avid ditched email support several months ago in favour of purchasing support codes for 29GBP in the UK.

I had an 003 that went wrong and my dealer told me to ring Avid UK, i got stopped in my tracks at the 'please type in your support code' part. Fortunatly, as the 003 was faulty this then gave me leverage to get the unit refunded and i now have a Motu 828mk3, i can email MOTU in the US whenever and get a speedy response or i can ring the distributor here in the UK who is very helpful.

It's one thing to charge for technical support but when you have a genuine warranty issue and the response is, if we deem the unit faulty we will refund the support code, that kind of doesn't wash.

Enough said.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:37 AM

Thank you for making me feel a little bit less like an idiot;-)

The new support is really hard to navigate and make sense of:)
PT M-powered 8.01
Old 08-16-2011, 06:32 AM
Avid

Losing an iLok would not really be considered a 'warranty' issue, since there's nothing that failed with the hardware - it was simply lost.

And, yes, there would be a problem upgrading from a temp license. You would need a full license to do that and, to get one, you would need to contact Customer Service by phone or email - which would require an ASC in your case.

I'm sorry to hear you lost it and that it will be money out of your pocket to get the situation corrected.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:14 PM

Thank you for your relatively swift answer. I think you answered in a very informative manner. I have sent an e-mail to support and got a quick response. Now I hope this will resolve the matter and I can go back to using Pro Tools again.
PT M-powered 8.01
Old 08-17-2011, 01:10 PM

Arter buying support from Avid and paying a Service Transfer fee PT finally rund like a clock on my computer. Glad it worked out
PT M-powered 8.01