Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2008, 06:12 AM

Default New to Midi need help

I'm a complete idiot when it comes to midi. I can hardly wrap my mind around it to be honest. I'm a guitar guy and have recorded plenty with protools although i just picked it back up after about two years of not using it so i guess i'm kind of still a little green with it.

I have and M-Audio Axiom25 and i'm trying to use it to tap out drum tracks and strings and such, but here's the problem. I CANT GET IT TO WORK.

It seems like you have to go through a thousand steps to here anything when i hit a key on the keyboard. I've went through the books and everything just confuses me even more.

I've got it to record midi notes but no sound.

Also I loaded Xpand from the CD i got with my new MBox2 and i'm not finding it in the plugins list under virtual instruments. I'm on a macbook by the way.

Please someone point me to a tutorial that has muppets or something explaining this whole midi thing to me.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Avid

Default Re: New to Midi need help

Quote:
Also I loaded Xpand from the CD i got with my new MBox2 and i'm not finding it in the plugins list under virtual instruments. I'm on a macbook by the way.
Let's start with this. Which OS version are you on? Which version of Pro Tools? Did you download the latest update for Xpand from our website?

Once we can get that to show up in Pro Tools, you could use this tutorial to get your Axiom to control it:

http://ptnewbie.com/?p=76
Old 08-26-2008, 09:07 AM

I am using leopard 10.5.3 and protools 7.4.2. I loaded the xpand but have not updated it from the website. I will do that tonight when i get home.

I'll also check out that tutorial. thanks.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:09 AM

i went home at lunch and loaded the update for Xpand and it now shows up in my instruments flyout. Oh and i have sound now. I was pretty pumped to hear it.

When I bounce to disk to i have to somehow convert the VI track to audio?
Old 08-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Avid

Quote:
When I bounce to disk to i have to somehow convert the VI track to audio?
No - the bounce will include the audio from the VI track.