Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2006, 07:11 PM

Default Track Naming - Why?

I've been working all day on PT7 and i love the update from 6.9.
I see tons of great new advances in software and hardware and some amazing minds doing amazing things at Digidesign.
But many of us are scrolling thru not 24-64 tracks like we used to, but now sessions are coming in at 70-150+ tracks.

Have we overlooked the obvious?

Why is there still only up to 9 characters on the screen per track and 6 on a command 8?

My track names have to be so cryptic sometimes, and forget trying to figure out what somebody else was thinking when they named their tracks.

I know we can put in comments, but they don't follow the playlist. File name limitations are not a big problem in OSX 10.4 or XP anymore.
A GIANT update would be a 2 line track name or something close to that. I sure you could toggle it off for the people who don't want to be bothered, and still love the cryptic naming structure. Just look at the delay compensation window below the faders, there is almost 3 lines x 12 characters each line.

It's kinda stuck in the 80's like the CD format....... a CD has 700mb worth of data on it ...... but rarely is there anything but just audio on it.

What do you all think?

www.PeterMoshay.com
Old 05-25-2006, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Track Naming - Why?

YES! I have been wishing for so long that there would be a magical PT update with this feature. Its takes me 5 minutes alone to figure out how to convey " New Final Vocal Comp Dbl, Tuned w/ FX " in a track name, let alone how it will LOOK in the Mix and Edit windows. Probably something like NFVT/X which is pretty useless.

A two line Track Name area would be SO helpful!

MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 05-26-2006, 06:08 AM

I agree.

Maybe you could get to size the track info and functions so you can see the whole name and loose a bit of edit window or have it small and abbreviated like it is now.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:07 AM

This would sure help to keep up with the whims of imaginative producers! And the keystroke to toggle back & forth between One-or-Two Line Display could relate to the current keystroke for Wide Meters Mode... In this case: Ctl+Opt+Cmd+Click on the Track Name bar.

Alright Digi, this one's been handed to you on a platter... you do the rest.

Warmest Regards,
Brian
Old 05-26-2006, 09:26 AM

Agreed... cryptic designations for track names definitely impede my work flow, especially in narrow mix format... another problem is that in narrow mixer format, the comments window (which helps immensely with track descriptions) truncates words in odd places making it hard to read. It types in OK but after <return> is pressed, the text is oddly truncated

Example:

Revibe
reverb
on
channe
l direct

Or:

pad in
interlu
de

A better text formatting code for the narrow mix window would be a great help.