Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2019, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Are we not due an update??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
how do you even enroll for beta testing, how does Avid acquire volunteers?
That my friend is a very good question. I do not have the official answer, but let me PM you in case you are interested
Old 09-09-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
Maybe some of you guys dont get how or what SaaS is.....its called software as a service, meaning you're paying just to use it, thats all. its like a roller coaster or a taxi cab.....Now , do you AGREE with that business model is another question, I dont, but thats what they and every other software company are/have morphed into, for the cashflow consistency. So the bottom line is, yes these type of threads are useless because thats their business model and it aint gonna change. or just get a solid version with a computer that works properly, FREEZE IT, and enjoy life.....or stay on the unhappy hamster wheel of SaaS.
That would apply to subscriptions. But those of us with Perpetual Ultimate licenses pay an additional $400.00/year for "support and updates". When Avid goes the better part of a year without updates, what exactly are we paying for?
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
That would apply to subscriptions. But those of us with Perpetual Ultimate licenses pay an additional $400.00/year for "support and updates". When Avid goes the better part of a year without updates, what exactly are we paying for?
Forgive me by being a geek but if "support and update" plan would be 50-50 then you would essentially pay first 200 dollars for the privilege of contacting support when you need to, then another 200 dollars for any updates that might be out there.

Some would say 2019.5 would have been worth that 200 dollars on its own, but even though I only forward an opinion it is so easy to call me biased bcs I am a moderator.

What are your expectations? Surely you don't want to do a monthly install weekend just because...
Old 09-09-2019, 01:01 PM

Have to say I’m with Janne, as a standard PT user I think we did pretty well with both 2019.5 that update certainly cleaned out a few bugs and 2019.6 I now have HEAT. What’s not to like? And that was only in the last few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Forgive me by being a geek but if "support and update" plan would be 50-50 then you would essentially pay first 200 dollars for the privilege of contacting support when you need to, then another 200 dollars for any updates that might be out there.

Some would say 2019.5 would have been worth that 200 dollars on its own, but even though I only forward an opinion it is so easy to call me biased bcs I am a moderator.

What are your expectations? Surely you don't want to do a monthly install weekend just because...
Plus the silent (no fee cost) of the mods and other experienced users here who contribute far more I would say than Avid’s support....
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 09-09-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
Have to say I’m with Janne, as a standard PT user I think we did pretty well with both 2019.5 that update certainly cleaned out a few bugs and 2019.6 I now have HEAT. What’s not to like? And that was only in the last few months.

Plus the silent (no fee cost) of the mods and other experienced users here who contribute far more I would say than Avid’s support....
Well I'm not!! Are you joking or smoking something funny?

If you're happy then that is your business, (and IMO extremely easily pleased) but me & many many others are not. Avid have NOT I repeat NOT delivered what they promised when starting the renewal plan.....their bug fixes are late & should be done anyway & their updates are even later or non-existent - then they double the renewal fee!!!!! There are tons of plugins that can do what HEAT does (and its only free to subscribers at that). Don't promise something you charge for & then do not deliver then double the fee.....that is taking the pee....point blank period!!!
iMac 27" Late 2013 3.5Ghz i7 32GB Ram 3TB HDD, 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Movaje 10.14.6, Pro tools 2021.7, 2021.3 & 2020.12 installed. UAD Apollo 8 Quad & Satellite Quad, Reason 10.4.1 & Reason Suite 11.3.9, Logic Pro X 10.5.1 (need to upgrade to Catalina for LPX10.6), plugins & VI's by practically everyone. G-Tech Mini 1TB HDD, 3 x 1TB Glyph GT050Q, Lacie Rugged 500GB & several assorted drives.....lots & lots of hardware synths & outboard

https://soundcloud.com/2b3productions
Old 09-09-2019, 03:32 PM

You know what I wouldn’t normally say this but I am sure you would be less stressed and at peace if you just moved to Reaper. As for doubling the fee well things go up..... that fee is covered easily in the first day of sessions.... I think like well I have 364 days left if you look at the relative costs in general it ain’t much brother.....

Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxes View Post
Well I'm not!! Are you joking or smoking something funny?

If you're happy then that is your business, (and IMO extremely easily pleased) but me & many many others are not. Avid have NOT I repeat NOT delivered what they promised when starting the renewal plan.....their bug fixes are late & should be done anyway & their updates are even later or non-existent - then they double the renewal fee!!!!! There are tons of plugins that can do what HEAT does (and its only free to subscribers at that). Don't promise something you charge for & then do not deliver then double the fee.....that is taking the pee....point blank period!!!
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 09-09-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
PT10/11 had more updates than average, because of AAX and 64bit.

If you go back to DigiDesign times you find that
- PT8 only had 8.1, 8.1.1 (and 8.5 for HDN card owners). PT8 in 2008, PT8.1 in 2010, for what it's worth.
- PT7 had 7.1 for native / 7.2 for dsp, 7.3 (universal binary), 7.4, 7.4.1 and 7.4.2; again, PT7.0 in 2005 and PT7.4.2 in 2007
- PT6 also had numerous updates because it was the first OSX major build, but with PT6 the mid update (6.4 for dsp, 6.7 for native) was a paid upgrade; this time it only took one year to go from 6.0 to 6.4 but they needed to release a lot because OSX was a moving target.
- PT5 got surround in 5.1 (how nice a version number for surround release) -- started with stable OS9 time taking two years from 5.0 to 5.1 but after that, because of surround and hd hardware introduced, PT5 got a bunch of updates up to 5.3.1

Just sayin' if Avid released 4 a year (guaranteed and foreseeable end of quarter releases) it would be fantastic. I don't think they will ever get monthly releases because those builds need to be beta tested too. That team mostly isn't on Avid payroll. And I wouldn't like to update my production system monthly either.
The facts are the facts avid promised MORE updates with the Support Plan Model since pro tools 12 there have been fewer updates than in ANY previous version in recent years
Old 09-09-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:

No but I would be more than happy to go back to a “pay for an upgrade” when I feel it offers something of value for me” plan without the insane penalty.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmixer View Post
The facts are the facts avid promised MORE updates with the Support Plan Model since pro tools 12 there have been fewer updates than in ANY previous version in recent years
You take your facts and get outta here! This is a fanpage, and some of these guys have been trying to get hired by Avid for years.

Forget "updates" -- what about new features? Remember being excited for new ProTools functionality? That excitement is becoming a faint memory.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:24 AM

" “pay for an upgrade” when I feel it offers something of value for me” plan without the insane penalty. (Or new features )

As much as many here hated Waves WUP, the no penalty buy back-in is more open for budgets and bearable.

Last edited by DetroitT; 09-10-2019 at 04:53 PM. Reason: typ-o