Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2014, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Why is Pro Tools so sensitive

thanks sw rec
Old 09-29-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
you should really update your Win7 - I believe service pack 3 is out...
SP1 is out as the most recent
Old 09-29-2014, 03:22 PM

I would suggest going with at least Socket 2011 CPUs, nothing less. 2011-3 is preferable.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 09-29-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natanel Arnson View Post
Kontakt crashes...pro tools crashes...to much ram used....pro tools crashes.
Hi Natanel, I use PT 9.0 everyday and make a decent living producing music for all kinds of stuff. So, know that PT 9 is not inherently evil.

In addition to what YYR123 and Zedhed pointed out, Kontakt and "too much ram used" are other red flags. You could build a monster new ultra compatible system and still have problems with PT 9/Kontakt due to the following...

Windows systems, on 32 bit versions of PT, can use only 1.8 - 2.2 GB of RAM... YMMV. That could be just a few robust/RAM hungry Komplete or 3rd party instruments in Kontakt (Or just one bass patch in Trilian ).

For that reason I use Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 to host ALL 3rd party instruments. I never get VI related crashes on my system. In fact, I can't remember the last time PT 9 crashed.

Also in 32 bit versions of PT that use RTAS, 3rd party VI's like Kontakt can be very unstable or inefficient particularly at low sample buffers. In those cases this may help.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:02 PM

Thanks spenner, i was actually worried about this, been seeing similar posts and was hoping more ram would help. I didnt consider another plug in host software.

So VE Pro is 64 bit, and will take advantage of more ram, even in pro tools 9 which is a 32 bit system?

Also, do you think its better to buy VE as opposed to just buying pro tools 11, which is 64 bit?
Old 09-29-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks spenner, i was actually worried about this, been seeing similar posts and was hoping more ram would help. I didnt consider another plug in host software.

So VE Pro is 64 bit, and will use more ram, even in pro tools 9 which is a 32 bit system?

Also, do you think its better to buy VE as opposed to just buying pro tools 11, which is 64 bit?
PT 9 is 32 bit meaning that, even if you load up on physical RAM, it can only address 1.7 - 2.2 GB RAM on a Windows OS. So, without a 64 bit VI host like VEP5, more RAM would not help. If you have Windows 7 64 bit installed then VEP5 64 bit will access all memory outside of 32 bit PT.

I've been using PT native since LE 6 and only purchased VEP 5 after getting tired of waiting for PT to become 64 bit and overall more efficient with VI's. Since the waters are very stable and familiar with VEP5, I decided not to rock the boat for now. For you, not already having a VI host and if your goto VI's are all AAX then, IMO, absolutely get PT 11 64 bit.

Does PT crash without any VI's in the session? Have you tried any sessions with just audio and effects plugins?

Check out the link placed at the bottom of my first post and do the tweaks. Then run a session with Kontakt patches as you normally do, open Windows Task Manager, go to Processes tab and see how much memory PT uses.

As noted earlier, your system could use hardware upgrades. Before buying software, I'd verify that the issues are related to VI's and or memory.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
do you think its better to buy VE as opposed to just buying pro tools 11, which is 64 bit?
If you go with PT11 you'll need a new computer build and as suggested by Tom the 2011-3 socket set i7 CPU is the way to go. You could do it for cheaper on a slightly lesser platform and it would still be ok. But you're looking at a substantial investment either way, though this would negate the need for VE Pro. The AAX plugin aspect is something else to consider as well.

I don't know which way would be cheaper, but cheaper is not always best.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 09-29-2014, 07:04 PM

I already made those changes in the playback engine, they did help. No pro tools never crashes by itself, it's always because of VI's. I think it's a number of things, some you mentioned. I use alot, so it makes sense it has issues as ram loads to high, hopefully VE5 will help.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:07 PM

Yes, i plan to go with i7, 3930k to be specific. I really would love pro tools 11, but i dont know if i can afford the extra $250 over something like VE Pro right now, and my East West, which is goto for orchestral for me, i dont think they are AAX.
Hopefully better pc, lots more ram, 64 bit vst host, and other tweaks will be the answer, so my pro tools behaves as nicely as Spenner's :)

Thanks a ton guys, really helped alot!!!
Old 09-29-2014, 07:14 PM

Durt.... am i the only one on duc using my name as username? :)