Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2001, 04:50 PM

Default Re: -6031error with logic

Im sorry JASAMAN, [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] but your not the only one thats in sad land [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

I have a multi Procesor G4 and it has all the problems listed in here with the DIGI 001 and LOGIC AUDIO,

Nothing works but PRO TOOLS LE on its own or Logic NATIVE

I have to say that a Prayer could only help becuase nobody from Digi or Emagic has ever prommised to do anything about it but ignore it / mabye they are working on it but people tell me its been over a YEAR?????
[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2001, 05:12 PM

Wow that blows. I wish I would have known that before I spent $971.00 on Logics software and an AMT8. I cant believe this!!!
What other solutions are there? buying a cheap mixer and monitoring throuhg it so I can raise the buffer? DAMN!!! This sucks
I guess its back to Pro Tools midi and audio.
JASAMAN [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2001, 12:22 AM

I CALLED EMAGIC ABOUT USING LOGIC FOR MIDI AND PT FOR AUDIO BUT I WAS INSTRUCTED THAT YOU CANNOT UTILIZE SOFT SYNTHS IN LOGIC USING THIS CONFIG SO I HAD TO PUNT ON THAT, I WISH IT DID WORK...
Old 09-06-2001, 12:47 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by jjfrazz:
About Using Logic with the 001:
You must set your "disk cache" to 512k in the "Memory" Control Panel of your Mac System. Choose "Custom Setting" and set the size to 512k.
Aside from the "speaker clik" setting, which must be OFF, you will also need to go to the "Audio/Audio Hardware & Drivers" in Logic, and then to "Direct I/O" and make sure that nothing is "checked" below "Software Monitoring.
The Buffer Setting should work at any setting with a reasonable amount of tracks (24). The lowest setting will work well for vocals while the setting of "1" should be good the rest of the time.
You should have no problem recording and playing back 30 plus tracks as well as 20 plugins...without any -6031 errors.
If you still have errors then you are probably having trouble with you Hard disks...or even your System Ram.
Apple also recommends turning OFF "Use a Network Time Server" in your "Date & Time" Control Panel.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My disk cashe is on 512k. I've tried checking and unchecking boxes under software monitoring and problem exists with both. My speaker click is off. My Cheetah HD never gave me problems with Pro Tools. I've tried everything. I'm very discouraged.
JASAMAN [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2001, 09:33 AM

Last night I tried something different. I set the recording path to record to my Mac HD(system drive) just to see what would happen. My buffer was on .125 and I got no errrors!!!! I recorded 7 tracks of audio and then I just stopped to bask in my amazement.
So is it my SCSI cheetah hard drive that Logic doesnt like? Maybe I'm more closer to a solution but it sure raises some more questions and confusion. Let me know what you guys think.
Is it SCSI? Is it Cheetah? Is it ATTO? Should I go with an ATA or IDE drive?
JASAMAN
Old 09-07-2001, 06:43 PM

For what its worth, here are some tips straight from the horses mouth (actually Andrew from Emagic) on how to set up Logic with the 001:

1. Options > Settings > Recording Options: Turn off speaker click.

2. Audio Hardware and Drivers: Increase the I/O buffer size for Direct I/O.

3. Disable any 001 OMS drivers in the System folder > Extensions and OMS folder.

4. Apple Menu > Control Panels > Memory. Set the Disk Cache to a custom setting of 512k.

5. Format your audio drive with HFS (Mac OS standard), not HFS+ (Extended).

6. Try creating a new extension set in extensions manager named 'Logic'. Select 'all off' from the edit menu. Logic does not require any extensions to run. Your computer will boot with absolutely NO extensions enabled (not even OS 8.6 / 9.0 set) However, you may need to enable some extensions if you are using the following:

iMate driver
Emagic USB dongle driver
OMS
USB midi drivers
audio hardware drivers/extensions
QuickTime

Do not enable any more than what is absolutely necessary to use Logic and your audio/midi devices. Even certain Apple and 3rd party USB drivers/devices can potentially cause problems.

7. Try trashing the Logic prefs file in the System Folder:Preferences
Folder. Quit Logic. Move the prefs file to the desktop. Relaunch Logic. Logic will automatically create a new, default preference file. Any key commands you have assigned will be gone. You can import key commands from your old prefs file by choosing import key commands from the options menu of the key commands window. Select the prefs file on your desktop and click Open. Once you do this be sure to reset the preferences in steps 1 and 2.

8. If the problem occurs only in one particular song, you may have a
corrupted Logic song file. This is particularly bad if the file is your
'autoload' song the problem may be present in any song that was a derivative of the autoload file. Also, it require that you must recreate your autoload file.

Hold down the option key while you select 'new' from the file menu.
This will create a clean, default Logic song file that is not based on your 'autoload' song. Test any function in this song that might have caused a problem in a potentially corrupted song. If the function works fine in the new song, but not in the 'damaged' song then you need to recreate the song. You may be able to copy and paste sequence data, audio regions, environments, etc. However, be careful. You may end up copying and pasting the very data that was causing the problem.

9. Move the 001 pci card to a different pci slot in the computer.

10. Make sure that you are running at least Mac OS 9.0.4.

Thanks Andrew, I hope you don't mind me sharing this with a few friends on the DUC.
Old 09-08-2001, 06:57 PM

Thomcat: Thanks for the info,
I actually got the same list form emagic a couple of days ago. It did actually help my 6031 fire but now I am experiencong some strange pops and static like clicks during record. It doesnt seem to be happening during playback, just during recording. Any thoughts?

JASAMAN
Old 09-09-2001, 10:32 AM

[img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
Very nice people here, only problem is, is the ones we will have to work to figure out ourselves, even if we have to make the calls to get answers, [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

my logic and 001 still does not work ? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2001, 06:25 PM

Jas...

I haven't had a chance to try Andrew's fixes yet myself, but what you're describing sounds like a sync problem. I had them when I first set up Logic some years ago, and can't (off the top) remember exactly what the fix is, but if I had to guess I would think that possibly trashing the prefs may have been what caused this (if you indeed trashed them). There is very likely a prefs setting related to sync that was defaulted to a setting that doesn't exactly like your setup.

Hopefully when you trashed your prefs you kept the old prefs squirreled away somewhere. If so, drag the old prefs back in and trash the new ones. If not, try fooling with the sync settings.

I always keep a copy of the prefs, and when I up rev Logic I try to keep the old version along with a copy of its current prefs in a folder somewhere just in case it could one day save my bacon.

[ September 11, 2001: Message edited by: ThomCat ]
Old 09-11-2001, 07:56 PM

Hey Thomcat,
I actually got rid of the pops and I can now set my bufer on setting 1 and get no errors. I am now figuring ways to get rid of this latency I get with the 1 setting. How do you deal with it. Whats your buffer on? Do you use a mixer board? I heard it fixes it. I am willing to buy one if it will cure it. Any suggestions? thanks
JASAMAN