Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-03-2006, 08:11 AM

Default 001 user looking to change from Mac to Windows

I am looking at getting a new computer and at this point on my extremely limited budget, I am considering getting a Windows computer over a newer Mac (one that works with 001, so still a G4) or upgrading my current computer. I have an old 400 MHz Mac G4 that isn't cutting it anymore for Digi001 under OS X (and since I am limited to OS 10.3.9 and earlier with 001, I can't even have the latest OS for everyday use). So I am looking into getting a Windows computer for everyday use and also the occasional PTLE messing around. What kind of computer should I look for? Will 001 even work with a brand new Windows computer?! (I know they don't work with Mac G5's so I have to ask!) If so, can I get away with purchasing a more inexpensive computer (like one of the lower end Dells or Gateways or similar)? Then I would just need to pay the $35 to download PTLE 6.4 for Windows XP, right? I'm sure there are other things I've not considered, but can anyone give me advice about making the switch to Windows (also keeping in mind that I don't do much extensive recording or mixing with a lot of tracks--maybe 8-12 audio tracks with a few aux inputs and a couple of MIDI tracks)? Thanks!
Old 11-03-2006, 11:02 AM

Default Re: 001 user looking to change from Mac to Windows

Make sure you use Protools LE 6.4 cs9 (the last version supporting the Digi001) if you are using Windows XP SP2. Earlier versions of Protools will not work with SP2. You need to get updated PACE drivers too. Make sure you avoid Windows Media Center that is commonly included with some consumer level computers. Get Windows XP Pro (or Windows XP Home if you need to cut costs). Check the compatibility listing for the proper motherboard chipset and Firewire card/port. Make sure you get enough RAM (1-2 Gig) and (very highly recommended) a fast second hard drive for audio. Get the best processor you can for the money. Get at least a Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon 64 (Do not even consider any Celerons, Semprons, Durons, or Turions).

Rather than getting a cheap basement rig now, try to save up for a decent rig in a few months. You'll be happier and less frustrated. Remeber, these are not Mac's and there are many more variables that can cause you head aches. Follow the compatibility and troubleshooting guidelines, and you will be better off.

Good Luck

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 11-03-2006, 11:37 AM

Default Re: 001 user looking to change from Mac to Windows

Hi:

I have a nearly new PC that was custom built to run Pro Tools on Windows. It is one of the famous Allenstein PCs using an AMD processor and an Asus motherboard. This box is in mint condition and comes complete and ready to go. All you need to do is install your 001 PCI card and attach your monitor (it can handle dual monitors too!) and you are ready to go. Email me at [email protected] for more details.... I'm willing to let this go for a VERY low price...