Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2019, 09:22 AM

Default Re: How to go from Apple TV digital out to MTRX?

Doh. Well you could have said that more clearly

You could install Catalina and play Apple TV on your Mac... and because you can't run Pro Tools on Catalina you'll have more time to watch Apple TV.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Doh. Well you could have said that more clearly

You could install Catalina and play Apple TV on your Mac... and because you can't run Pro Tools on Catalina you'll have more time to watch Apple TV.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo m View Post
If your HDMI extractor also has SPDIF output, try the bellow AES/EBU impedance converter from Neutrik, connect then straight to the MTRX AES in and ditch the Hosa. MTRX needs to be at the same sample rate as the audio coming from the Apple TV out:

https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/naditbnc-m
So I bought this Neutrik adapter tried it and no go. It's just never going to work without being able to be clocked to the MTRX. I've given up and will continue with an analog connection.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
So I bought this Neutrik adapter tried it and no go. It's just never going to work without being able to be clocked to the MTRX. I've given up and will continue with an analog connection.
So, how did you connected it? Can you test with a CD player SPDIF out? I mean, you said that you didn´t want to go analogue, to spare analogue ins on your MTRX, so I´m getting confused about what you wanna do....

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 10-24-2019, 02:56 PM

Not sure why you are confused, I'd like to save some of my analog inputs, but that doesn't mean I have none to spare at the moment. I'll have to get another analog card for the MTRX soon though.

To answer your question, the Apple TV HDMI goes to an HDMI Extractor. The coaxial digital output from the extractor goes to the Neutrik transformer, and from there to AES input 5 on the MTRX. It can't be clocked with just a single one-way connection, hence the problem. I supposed this might be possible if I wanted the master clock to be the Apple TV, but that would be crazy.

Everything else in my system that's connected via AES and that have no work clock inputs (such as my Haken Continuum controller) need both AES in and out connected. Given this, I don't see how the Apple TV would be any different.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
Not sure why you are confused, I'd like to save some of my analog inputs, but that doesn't mean I have none to spare at the moment. I'll have to get another analog card for the MTRX soon though.

To answer your question, the Apple TV HDMI goes to an HDMI Extractor. The coaxial digital output from the extractor goes to the Neutrik transformer, and from there to AES input 5 on the MTRX. It can't be clocked with just a single one-way connection, hence the problem. I supposed this might be possible if I wanted the master clock to be the Apple TV, but that would be crazy.

Everything else in my system that's connected via AES and that have no work clock inputs (such as my Haken Continuum controller) need both AES in and out connected. Given this, I don't see how the Apple TV would be any different.
Confused was just an expression. I recommended a simple and not expensive solution for you to try, based on my own past experiences on similar setups. Like I said, I did connect computer audio sound cards, CD players and other devices using this method in the past and it worked, just for the sake of quick monitoring from unbalanced SPDIF to AES3.

Sorry it didn´t work for you. Just tried to help.If you were so sure of the outcome, why did you asked?

Here´s some resources:

https://www.rane.com/pdf/ranenotes/I...S3_&_SPDIF.pdf

Paulo M

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 10-24-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo m View Post
If you were so sure of the outcome, why did you asked?
I wasn't sure of the outcome when I first asked (obviously!), but I'm sure now.

Thanks for your help...
Old 10-25-2019, 01:29 AM

The fundamental principle in any digital connection (AES, MADI, etc.) between two devices is that the two devices must be synchronized to the same clock. If they are not synchronized, you will have clicks and drop-outs in the sound.

In this particular case, the Apple TV is the source and the MTRX is the receiving device. The Apple TV and the MTRX must therefore be synchronized to the same clock, otherwise there will be clicks in the sound. Since the Apple TV does not have a sync input (Word clock, AES input or similar), there is no way that the Apple TV and the MTRX can be synchronized.

The only alternative to this is to use a sample rate converter (SRC) between the Apple TV and the MTRX. That way the Apple TV does not need to be synchronized to the MTRX. None of the devices that have been suggested in the thread have SRC, but are only format converters.

My suggestion is to use an AES card in the MTRX. The AES card can do SRC on the inputs and it should therefore work fine. The AES inputs on the MTRX base unit do not have SRC so they can not be used. As the AES card is cheaper than an analog input card, you may want to go that way instead. If you do that, then please remember to order a break-out cable for the AES card as it has a special high-density connector.

Alternatively you could maybe find a format converter with built-in SRC and the built-in AES.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:58 AM

Are you suggesting MTRX cannot lock to external clock source? This scenario is simply playback from ATV not using it in a session...
Old 10-25-2019, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntp-jl View Post

The only alternative to this is to use a sample rate converter (SRC) between the Apple TV and the MTRX. That way the Apple TV does not need to be synchronized to the MTRX. None of the devices that have been suggested in the thread have SRC, but are only format converters.

My suggestion is to use an AES card in the MTRX. The AES card can do SRC on the inputs and it should therefore work fine. The AES inputs on the MTRX base unit do not have SRC so they can not be used. As the AES card is cheaper than an analog input card, you may want to go that way instead. If you do that, then please remember to order a break-out cable for the AES card as it has a special high-density connector.

Alternatively you could maybe find a format converter with built-in SRC and the built-in AES.
As I mentioned earlier to the OP, sampling rate should have been the same between both devices when using a simple SPDIF to AES converter like the Neutrik one, precisely for the reasons you mention.

Paulo M

Protools Studio 2024.3