Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 03-14-2009, 04:15 PM

Question Please help me with pro tools m audio 8 cpu overload!!!!

Hello-

I currently am running Pro Tools M-Powered 8 on my MacBook with a Firewire 410.

Ever since I upgraded from Pro Tools 7 I keep getting the same " Cpu overload, (-6101)" Message. Every time I record a new session this happens within the first 20 minutes. I record classical music whether is be opera singers or a trumpet recital. I only record with 1 Stereo track enabled and recording...and I still get this overload message.

I have tried everything from trashing prefs, DAE, disabling internet, bluetooth, spotlight even resetting the PRAM.
I also just uninstalled protools 8 then re-installed it and it kept happening.
I've tried every different combination of things in the playback engine ie; 512 samples, 1024 samples, even 2048 samples...NOTHING WORKS.

Please...help...I have no idea where to go from here. I can't even record myself with 1 mic, 1 mono track NO PLUG-INS without is overloading.

Im at my whits end ...please any suggestion will be greatly appreciated...I can't afford the $3.00 a minute at digidesign tech support for them to tell me something I already know wont work...PLEASE HELP!
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!
Thank you thank you!
Take care-
Lindsay
Old 03-14-2009, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Please help me with pro tools m audio 8 cpu overload!!!!

If its a dual processor, or dual core, switch to 1 processor in ProTools
Old 03-14-2009, 05:46 PM

How do I do this?
Thanks so much for the advice! Ill try it!
Old 03-14-2009, 05:49 PM

It is a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:10 PM

In ProTools Setup/Playback engine, switch to 1 RTAS processor, and make it 99%. That leaves the other processor open for the OS.

Secondly, DO NOT record to the internal drive.

Lastly, uncheck open ended recording in preferences, and set it to 20 minutes or something.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:41 AM

Oboist,

This may not help you at all, but I write to you anyway.
This error, 6101, as you can read in many other threads is not your problem only.
Digi tries to do what they can, but what I read they didn't solve the problem yet.

I was thinking, did someone thought of something like building up static electricity?
Ofcourse this can be nonsense, but, Digi, give it thought.

Maybe try to record and not touching computer, disc etc., see what's happening. Also clothing etc can have influence.

Again, this all may be off limits, but there must be a reason for this 6101 gost.

Ben.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Uytjens View Post
Oboist,

This may not help you at all, but I write to you anyway.
This error, 6101, as you can read in many other threads is not your problem only.
Digi tries to do what they can, but what I read they didn't solve the problem yet.

I was thinking, did someone thought of something like building up static electricity?
Ofcourse this can be nonsense, but, Digi, give it thought.

Maybe try to record and not touching computer, disc etc., see what's happening. Also clothing etc can have influence.

Again, this all may be off limits, but there must be a reason for this 6101 gost.

Ben.
Hi Ben.
Do you have any idea if the CPU Overload problem can be fixed. I looked on every discussion about this subject but found NO solution. I tried everyting, core's and CPU at every setting, disabled apple Spotlight, everything with no succes. Do you have any idea as a engineer what causes this problem?
Cheers and thanks.

Arthur from Holland