Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 06-12-2019, 10:51 AM
Avid

Default Re: 10.5 iPad Pro support?

I just received my own 11" iPad Pro so will be looking into it.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:43 PM

Any word on this? As an iPad Pro 11" user this is holding me back from pulling the trigger on the dock.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:11 PM
Avid

Yes, I have mine now. Size wise it even fits in the older Dock mount as its smaller then the 10.5" (smaller bezels) but the power connector hole is slightly obscured by the Dock housing. This will take a it to change in production and its unlikely we cold offer an adapter like before.
That said anyone with a bit of DIY skills could remove the plastic that's in the way. Its not visible from the front of the unit so should be OK.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Yes, I have mine now. Size wise it even fits in the older Dock mount as its smaller then the 10.5" (smaller bezels) but the power connector hole is slightly obscured by the Dock housing. This will take a it to change in production and its unlikely we cold offer an adapter like before.
That said anyone with a bit of DIY skills could remove the plastic that's in the way. Its not visible from the front of the unit so should be OK.
That's pretty disappointing that you don't want to update the adapter, and you are actually asking us to cut into the dock and turn this $1000 device into a DIY project. Really?

Why not redesign this properly so that the ipad sits lower into the dock, therefore not blocking the port.

If you asked me, you're shooting yourselves in the foot long-term by not keeping this product compatible with the latest ipad...
Old 06-24-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
That's pretty disappointing that you don't want to update the adapter, and you are actually asking us to cut into the dock and turn this $1000 device into a DIY project. Really?
Read what he wrote better.
He's saying changing production will not happen immediately to solve this and an adapter alone won't fix it.

Not that they don't want to fix it. He's giving you a work around.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Read what he wrote better.
He's saying changing production will not happen immediately to solve this and an adapter alone won't fix it.

Not that they don't want to fix it. He's giving you a work around.
" its unlikely we cold offer an adapter like before. "

That reads like a permanent decision to me..

And "remove the plastic that's in the way" - in other words, 'cut off the plastic, you're on your own.' Not "hang tight for 6 months" or anything like that.

Disappointing..
Old 06-24-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
" its unlikely we cold offer an adapter like before. "

That reads like a permanent decision to me..

And "remove the plastic that's in the way" - in other words, 'cut off the plastic, you're on your own.' Not "hang tight for 6 months" or anything like that.
Quote:
This will take a it to change in production and its unlikely we cold offer an adapter like before.
Bolded for emphasis.

This means current Docks will not be fixable. Hanging tight for 6 months will not change this. An adapter swap will not work (and I can guess why -- the adapter can only be so thin at the bottom before manufacturing it makes it weak and crackable. So the area near the power port access on the knob frame will need to be widened for new Docks.)

Or you just dremel a bit of plastic out or return your Dock.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Bolded for emphasis.

This means current Docks will not be fixable. Hanging tight for 6 months will not change this. An adapter swap will not work (and I can guess why -- the adapter can only be so thin at the bottom before manufacturing it makes it weak and crackable. So the area near the power port access on the knob frame will need to be widened for new Docks.)

Or you just dremel a bit of plastic out or return your Dock.
That seems a little far fetched to me. I'm not near the unit right now, but I recall this sort of working with the adapter removed completely. The only thing they may lose or have to make smaller is the logo. I'll have to try it again to confirm
Old 06-24-2019, 04:16 PM
Avid

What BScout says. This isn't about the bottom tray/adapter so isn't as easy to fix as before. If you drop the iPad lower by removing the adapter you will cut off part of the screen at the bottom with its smaller bezels.

FYI we don't get any warning from Apple on design changes and it would be cost prohibitive just to scrap all current Docks. As I said we are working on making it compatible for future versions.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
What BScout says. This isn't about the bottom tray/adapter so isn't as easy to fix as before. If you drop the iPad lower by removing the adapter you will cut off part of the screen at the bottom with its smaller bezels.

FYI we don't get any warning from Apple on design changes and it would be cost prohibitive just to scrap all current Docks. As I said we are working on making it compatible for future versions.
That's fair, in my experience of observing Apple's patterns, I don't see this design changing again for another 5 years at least.. It might get thinner, but the overall shape should remain the same