Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 02-14-2017, 10:30 AM

Default Re: HDX end-of-cycle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
No, they can't use HDn because they usually need tons of outputs etc. to feed stem recorders etc. Normally you'll find HDX2 and HDX3. Rarely HDX1, unless it's for a dialogue playback machine that usually has far less tracks then an FX session.

What I'm saying is that you have to be aware of the fact that on HDX1 you will not always be able to play back 256 tracks (or the equivalent mono legs) depending on your session structure and the amount of native plugins. On HDn you will always be able to play back 246 mono track no matter how complex your bussing or plugin setup. Not so on HDX.
But since there's almost no way around using native plugs you'll always have some of them (Reverbs, Dolby Panner etc. etc) .

As a result you might be surprised how few DSP chips and voices you have on HDX1 or even HDX2 when you take your HDn session to such a stage.

It's essentially the exact same thing that happened on TDM when you had RTAS plugs in your session. Just on a different scale.

Many of the large HDn surround fx sessions will not play back on HDX1.

All I wanted to add was that this might be something to consider for the OP. It might not matter to him when he's tracking bands with 10 mics but since he didn't say what his field is I added this info.

Example: HDX1 for example will not be able to play back certain large HDn sessions even though they both have 256 voices.

So with that in mind: Moving from HDn to HDX1 can actually be a step down not up.

Frank.
oh. I didn't know this about HDn vs. HDx1 . strange that it will have this voice issue. I went to HDx2 because avid said it was comparable to a HD6accell. So I just did that. But most of my favorite plugs are only native....
Old 02-14-2017, 10:46 AM

Lately I've been using a lot of DSP plugs in my native system and been amazed by how little DSP they use. I'd suggest taking another look at them if you need to use HDX without native.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
oh. I didn't know this about HDn vs. HDx1 . strange that it will have this voice issue. I went to HDx2 because avid said it was comparable to a HD6accell. So I just did that. But most of my favorite plugs are only native....
It really depends on what you do. When you work in 7.1 or 9.1 or Atmos with tons of stemmed auxes, 4-6 or more native surround reverbs (Altiverb, Phoenix) etc. you run into a wall pretty quickly. Such a session might eat almost all of your chips with just the mixer instance on HDX1.

It's not exactly a voice "issue" it's just the way TDM and HDX works.

Just like in the old days with TDM where almost every card was already full running just the surround mixer and not a single plugin on a small HD1 or HD2 system.

In the post world there are a lot of non-DSP plugs that are common. AltiVerb, PhoenixVerb, Dolby Atmos Panner. It's not really possible to go all DSP currently.

Frank.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:14 PM

So what do you say guys?
A response to UA LUNA should be HDX mk2 right?
The HDX card is almost 10 years old now and the DSP power wasn΄t even impressed back then. I am still on TDM so I have been waiting the last three years for a new version of HDX
Old 01-29-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
So what do you say guys?
A response to UA LUNA should be HDX mk2 right?
The HDX card is almost 10 years old now and the DSP power wasn΄t even impressed back then. I am still on TDM so I have been waiting the last three years for a new version of HDX
say whaaaaaat?

LUNA is a very simple DAW as it stands so how would a HDX PCIe mk2 card be a response to that? I mean explain please! There are already new cards (interfaces) like the MTRX and MTRX Studio so why would you compare a DAW to a DSP system?

My thinking is there wont be any HDX mk2 now as Avid is betting on the MTRX systems to do the work and HDX cards to just keep working. They are old I agree with that and thats one huge reason we or any od the studios we work with would invest into that system for music production purposes. I can understand Post and Mix facilities needing near zero latency and large voice counts but we use 3 of the new Apollo X8P and Apollo X16 here for 32/32 and we have close to 0 patency too on those interfaces so our HDX2 system gets no use at all right now and if nothing new comes along to make them cards feel exciting I doubt we will keep them for very long.

If we were needing to use Avid hardware today I would spring for the new MTRX Studio and use that with our new Mac Pro computers with 28cores and 384GB Ram.

Bit as we have it today we would not want for anything that our Apollo units couldn’t give us natively with PT Ultimate.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-29-2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
say whaaaaaat?

LUNA is a very simple DAW as it stands so how would a HDX PCIe mk2 card be a response to that? I mean explain please! There are already new cards (interfaces) like the MTRX and MTRX Studio so why would you compare a DAW to a DSP system?

My thinking is there wont be any HDX mk2 now as Avid is betting on the MTRX systems to do the work and HDX cards to just keep working. They are old I agree with that and thats one huge reason we or any od the studios we work with would invest into that system for music production purposes. I can understand Post and Mix facilities needing near zero latency and large voice counts but we use 3 of the new Apollo X8P and Apollo X16 here for 32/32 and we have close to 0 patency too on those interfaces so our HDX2 system gets no use at all right now and if nothing new comes along to make them cards feel exciting I doubt we will keep them for very long.

If we were needing to use Avid hardware today I would spring for the new MTRX Studio and use that with our new Mac Pro computers with 28cores and 384GB Ram.

Bit as we have it today we would not want for anything that our Apollo units couldn’t give us natively with PT Ultimate.

+1

http://www.pm-mastering-studio.com

SYSTEM 1 : Main recording - HDX MAC Pro 2023 M2 Ultra Running Sonoma 14.4
ProTools Ultimate 2024.3| 1xHDX Card | Mac Pro M2 Ultra 128Ram 2TB|3x PRE | 2x Avid 96 |1x Avid 192 I/O 16/16 Analogue | 1x Acid HD I/0 16/16 Analgue
Midi I/O | D-Command ES +16 fader Pack | Xmon | Eleven Rack + Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 Surround Adam S3H speaker System

System 2 : Project System - ProTools CARBON Running Sonoma 14.4
MacStudio M2 Ultra |64 GB RAM | ProTools 2024.3 Ultimate/Studio | SSL2+ | AVID S1+DOCK + ProTools|Carbon + ProTools|Carbon PRE
Old 01-30-2020, 12:05 AM

@Southsidemusic
Ahh, I see.
So if I read you correctly you are using Pro Tools Ultimate with Apollo X interfaces?
I am interested in that as well as I also have 3x Apollo X8.
However at the moment I am having 80 inputs to Pro Tools HD 10 and going native will only give me 32 right?
That gave me the wrong impression that you were maxed out with 2 Apollos but now I understand you could use more and assign for example 32 analog inputs to Pro Tools and use the Apollo Console to do some smart routings of your choice as well, right? That is interesting indeed.
Are you also using UAD DSP plugins within Pro TOols or are you trying to stay completely native within PT to keep the latency down?
Old 01-30-2020, 01:05 AM

Yes you can use Ultimate 2019.12 or any PT HD or Non HD version with the Apollos and we only use the HDX2 system for 64 in/out and as we never record more than 15-16 ins max for drums and such we are golden with Apollos and never any issues whatsoever.

And if you use PTU with anyuthing other than Avid digilink stuff you will have 32/32 and you can have more with some tricks but for stability you would only have 32in and out.

We use UAD som plugins and others but mainly we use outboard gear as we have a LOT of great toys so UA plugins in both UA console when needed and some inside PT too.

Best
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-30-2020, 08:04 AM

Funny this thread is already 3 years old and in my opening comment already then said HDX update is overdue...
Old 01-31-2020, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioluche View Post
Hi Frank.

Well, if you go HD native, you need an HD I/O too!
A Pro Tools HDX card + software is 4999$
A Pro Tools HD native card + software is 2999$.

So it's a 2000$ difference.
And if you go used, you can get the card and software for way cheaper. So the difference is small.

For the voices, HDX handles native plugins way better than TDM.
I dont use more than 150-200 tracks in large mixes, but even when mixing native and DSP plugins, i never came near the limit of voices. When this was painful with TDM.

So i'm not sure about the fact that a native rig can handle more voices than an HDX2 rig with the same computer. But hey, if you track bands like me, HDX1 is more than enough!

Cheers.

Luc

Where are you seeing HDX core+SW going for $5k?