How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2009, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Import Audio not working!!

Ok,
I record beats/instrumentation in Logic Pro 8. I bounce the songs to my hard-drive and I try to import "audio to track" in my Pro Tools M-Powered 7.1. The session that I setup in Pro Tools is 24-bit, 44.1 kHz, as I bounce a stereo track from Logic at that same rate. I click on import "audio to track," find the stereo 24-bit, 44.1 hHz track, and then put it to regions in current file. It then tells me "xxxxxx.wav must be converted to be used because it is not a mono file." I click convert and the file moves to regions to import with a "convert" status to the right of the file. And like the original poster said, I only have the "open" option to click...not the "done" option.

Now, I have tried changing every combination. I have bounced from Logic at different sample rate, different bit depth combos, tried exporting from Logic as a mono file, tried setting up Pro Tools at different settings, tried importing .mp3 files...nothing seems to give me the "done" option. When I export a mono file, and the rates match between the two programs, sometimes Pro Tools will allow me to add and add all...however I can still only click "open"...to which nothing happens when I click on it.

While I'm sure there is some dumb thing I am overlooking, I can't for the life of me figure what it is. I will be checking this thread very frequently from now on, so please feel free to ask anything else you need to know to help me.

Thank you very much.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Avid

Can you import audio from other applications? Do the files open in Quicktime or iTunes? If you re-export from QT or iTunes, will the file open in Pro Tools? What happens if you drag and drop the file into Pro Tools?

Does this happen in all sessions or just a particular one?

Can you give us your system configuration information?
Old 03-23-2009, 06:53 PM

Sorry for the delay. Yes I can import the audio in iTunes just fine. I don't think there is anything wrong with the files themselves as to have a problem with other programs. How do I re-export from iTunes? I didn't know it had that capability. I tried dropping the files directly into Pro Tools and it worked!!... however it does not sound the same. It is much more bassier and faded...and conversely it sounds perfect in Quicktime, iTunes, playing through Gmail, and Logic itself. This happens in all sessions. I even opened up a new session in Pro Tools and the same happened.

I have a Mac G5 with Pro Tools 7.1 M-Powered. A bit minimalistic in description, but I'm not sure what else you need to know.

Any ideas?
Old 03-30-2009, 03:19 PM

Any ideas DigiTechSupt?
Old 03-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Avid

Could you possibly post (using YouSendIt or other free hosting service) one of these audio files for us to look at?
Old 03-30-2009, 05:19 PM

Ok. Here is a mono and stereo 44.1 24-bit file. Pro Tools tells me stereo file needs to be mono. And Pro Tools tells me the mono file is ok to add. But for both, I only have the option to click "open" not "done."

Let me know if there was a problem in the link to get the file. If someone else clicks it, it won't let anyone else click it. I'll check a lot tonight and tomorrow.

Mono
http://files3.jetbytes.com/489dd5788...f120b0a68961a8

Stereo
http://files3.jetbytes.com/6a17b1431...046daade1260ce
Old 03-31-2009, 01:36 PM
Avid

I'm getting a 'server not responding' message when trying to download these. Tried it with both Safari and Firefox on Mac 10.5.5.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:58 PM

Ah. Sorry about that. I should have just used Sendspace in the first place. Here they are again.

Mono
http://www.sendspace.com/file/592u8w

Stereo
http://www.sendspace.com/file/bv75a7
Old 03-31-2009, 08:41 PM

Don't know if it matters but I see that you have conversion set for fast(lowest quality) so I would at least try changing that to a higher quality setting. I would also try importing into a 44.1K session with the SRC unselected. Are you able to audition the files in the window(as shown in your screen shot)?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Avid

So the problem you were having with importing is no longer there - you can import these into Pro Tools fine, correct? Do you have any ideas what may have changed on your system to fix that?

As for comparing sound quality - these don't seem overly bass heavy and I'm not sure what you mean by 'faded'.

When you're comparing them, are you using the exact same monitor path (mixer, output device, cables, etc)?