Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2024, 07:37 AM

Default Pro Tools not releasing Native I/O driver to other apps after quitting.

Ok, so with my home setup (in sig below) I'm regularly moving between Pro Tools Ultimate, Logic, & Davinci Resolve Studio at the moment.

For a while it was all good. Pro Tools would work as expected, & when I quit, the 'Pro Tools : HD Native Thunderbolt' option would be there for the system sound menu, for other apps. In fact if they had used them before, they would just automatically switch back seamlessly on quitting Pro Tools.

However a few days ago, this just stopped working.

Now evey time I quit Pro Tools Ultimate, the option for 'Pro Tools : HD Native Thunderbolt' in the Mac sound menu just isn't there at all.

A quick look in the Macs 'Activity Monitor' app, & a Force-Quit of the 'Avid Audio Server', releases the hardware, & now it shows up in the sound menu again, & I can manually re-connect.

Any Idea why it was working fine, & now isn't? Anything I can do to fix it?

Cheers

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 02-03-2024, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools not releasing Native I/O driver to other apps after quitting.

I've had mixed results with this over the past year or so. As of right now it's releasing the Native TB back to the OS every time I quit PT, but this wasn't always the case throughout 2023. And it wasn't always predictable.

What seemed to change this was either an OS update, a PT update or both, and typically the OS. I'm currently on PT 2023.12 and OS 14.3 and it's been solid.

The other thing I was going to suggest was that some other app is taking over the TB driver with exclusive control immediately after PT is quit but it sounds like you've been looking into that.
Old 02-05-2024, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools not releasing Native I/O driver to other apps after quitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I've had mixed results with this over the past year or so. As of right now it's releasing the Native TB back to the OS every time I quit PT, but this wasn't always the case throughout 2023. And it wasn't always predictable.

What seemed to change this was either an OS update, a PT update or both, and typically the OS. I'm currently on PT 2023.12 and OS 14.3 and it's been solid.

The other thing I was going to suggest was that some other app is taking over the TB driver with exclusive control immediately after PT is quit but it sounds like you've been looking into that.
Thanks for replying, yes bit of a mystery.

In fact when I first got the Omni/Thunderbolt-native setup a couple of months ago, it had the issue from the start.

Then it just started working properly after a few days, & then last week it just randomly stopped working again.

I've not updated the system at all in this time.

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com