How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2015, 03:19 AM

Default Spectrasonics help needed!

Hi!
I need advice..How should I do when using multi out with both Omnisphere and Rmx in PT 11? I already fixed it for Omni with 8 midi and the audios.. but how/what shall I do when it comes to rmx? Stereo B-H are already taken by Omnisphere...please help! Thanks//TF

Old 05-04-2015, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Spectrasonics help needed!

Not sure I understand your question, but I'll give it a shot. Suggest you instantiate a new instrument track and 8 new midi tracks for the RMX. (separate from the Omni)

Personally I typically leave off the audio tracks till I'm ready to print. If you're not doing anything substantial to the factory settings or fx sections you can simply route all the audio out the "A" (in Omni mixer page..by default) until you are ready to print. Same goes for the instrument track that you insert RMX into. Route audio from PT instrument track to appropriate bus.
When your happy with your Omni settings and ready to record, sometimes its less time consuming to record one or two of the audio tracks at a time instead of all at once. The more you have going on the more delay you get on the audio tracks= the longer it takes to get everything lined back up where its supposed to be. Considering how versatile the automation can be with Omni it only makes sense to me to print to audio when I'm happy with the arrangement and have blend of the mix pretty close to where I want it. The exception might be when I'm running a really large mix and resources are getting scarce.

If you get real crazy with Omnisphere you could even consider recording three audio tracks per one Omni channel. As in, record the "A" patch and its effects, the "B" patch and its effects and then the common effects on a third track. Then when you mix you have the ability to blend and add some interest to the arrangement. Or.. say you want a certain freq range pulled out... you could print another audio track just to trigger a side chained compressor to activate on specific range.

So essentially I'm writing all the above information which doesn't directly correspond with your specific question in order to illustrate a point. That is, you don't need to assign your Omni/RMX Output on a 1 to 1 basis. Because that is so... it opens your project up to all kinds of creative options.

Hmm the other big 'tip n trick" worth pointing out if you are new to Omni in pro tools is to consider the use of "hide and deactivate" after you get your audio recorded.... and don't forget to rename your midi tracks... and for that matter your audio tracks..Before you record! Big time savers when you have to go back to make changes latter on.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:49 PM

The best way to do this in protools is not to use multi mode in Omnisphere or RMX. Just use a new instance of Omnisphere or RMX for each part on a new instrument track. It uses about the same amount of CPU anyway, and this way, you can print individual parts to audio as needed and free up the CPU and Ram for more instances.

Multi-timbral use of synths was mostly back from the old days of midi with external synths when you had hardware boxes which were multi-timbral and you wanted to get more than one sound out of the one box. In the modern day of plugin instruments it is pretty well redundant, you don't need to do it any more. It's much easier to process and print your sounds if you have 1 sound per instance of each virtual instrument. The exception might be for a drum plugin where you program a pattern but want to split out each drum on a separate aux.

Hope this helps! :)

Creative Director - Red Note Visionary Sounds: http://rednote.com.au
Label: http://www.stereomissile.com/
Music Production / Mixing: http://www.stereomissile.com/musicproducer/
Mastering: http://www.stereomissile.com/mastering/
Old 05-07-2015, 08:02 AM

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you're having the issue. If you have Omni on one instrument track and RMX on a different one, then for routing audio you should see Omni B-H or RMX B-H as options on the Bus menu. When I've used multiple instances of Omni (I don't use RMX), I have Omni 1 or Omni 2 B-H as input options on the Aux or Audio track I want to route the audio to.

I don't see how RMX and Omni are sharing the same B-H output assignments since they are 2 different instruments and should be on two different instrument tracks.