Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2015, 09:30 PM

Default Can't use komplete kontrol in Pro tools 11

Please help. I can use komplete kontrol as a midi controller in PT11 but I can't use Kontrol as it was designed in PT. I installed the 1.1 update today. Im not sure where the Kontrol files should be placed on my hard drive. Its currently in the same folder as my Komplete plugins.

Last edited by LadyKane; 05-20-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:34 AM

Default The Komplete Kontrol Dilemma

Hi users,

I just updated Komplete 5 to Komplete 10 Ultimate. I decided to upgrade my controller as well and went with the Komplete Kontrol. Watching the demos it seemed like an excellent buy and would save lots of time working with NI instruments. I also wanted to be able to use it as a live gig keyboard rig.
After getting everything installed and updated it works great in Standalone mode and in Pro Tools 11….. to an extent.
I was pretty ticked off when I found out that the Kontrol doesn't fully integrate into Pro Tools the same way it integrates into Logic, Cubase, and Ableton. In Pro Tools the Transport functionality, Automatic Track Focus, and Track Selection controls are not supported which totally sucks. That was the whole reason (aside from the pre assigned controls for instruments) I purchased the Kontrol. Not having the Track Select and Track Focus options makes it pretty much impossible to use as a Live rig when hosted by Pro Tools. Also not having these options means you can't quickly switch from instance to instance of Komplete Kontrol easily in Pro Tools like you can in Logic. For Pro Tools users, I would consider this a big RED FLAG if you're considering buying a Komplete Kontrol controller.
To NI and Avid, this is an issue thats gotta be resolved soon. It would be great if an Avid Admin would pop in on this thread and let us know where there at with getting Komplete Kontrol fully integrated into PT 11. There's gotta be an update coming soon for this from NI or PT.
PLEASE HELP US ADMINs!!!!

In the meantime, I may be able to answer some questions since I was able to get a successful install and functioning in PT11.
Quote:
"Please help. I can use komplete kontrol as a midi controller in PT11 but I can't use Kontrol as it was designed in PT. I installed the 1.1 update today. Im not sure where the Kontrol files should be placed on my hard drive. Its currently in the same folder as my Komplete plugins."
Lady Kane,
The Kontrol File is supposed to be in the folder with your other Native Instruments Applications. It should be in Applications>Native Instruments>Komplete Kontrol. I believe that's what you described. If you haven't, its a very wise decision to put all of your NI libraries on an external or second hard drive that is not your Boot drive where the applications are installed. This will greatly increase the performance of the instruments as it takes a huge load of work off of the boot drive. If you are having trouble using Kontrol in PT, power off your Kontrol Keyboard, try loading an instance of Komplete Kontrol from you plugin menu onto an instrument track, and then Power On your keyboard. If you power on the keyboard before loading a Komplete Kontrol instance to a track, the Kontrol automatically goes into Midi Mode. Hope that helps.

Please Admin's, Respond to this post and throw us Komplete Kontrol users a bone!! We're freakin' dying here!!

Thanks!

Jason
Old 05-22-2015, 04:53 PM

Here is where my native instruments sounds live (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Digidesign\DAE\Plug-Ins) and they work fine in PT11. Currently, the komplete kontrol folder is there as well. Is it possible there are other kontrol files somewhere else that should be placed there as well? The kontrol works fine in PT11 as a midi controler, but none of the features, (the reason why I bought it in the 1st place), are available in PT11. I know not everything works from Kontrol to PT11 but I was hoping to at least have the chords, scale, pretty lights etc. and that there would be patches/updates in the near future to integrate the rest.

Also, currently, in pt11 I go to insert/plug in/instrument/(Kontact), and the intrument opens, and Im able to record Kontact instruments. Where, if it actually worked, should I open Kontrol in PT11?

Thanks