Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2011, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Protools 10HD upgrade to from 9 is 999.99 ..... WHY

It will only makes sense for me to upgrade if they allow Native and TDM users to upgrade to HDX along with the software.

I would assume that they'll put that in place over the next few weeks.

Carl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Gutnik View Post
Well, you have a couple options. Get on support, or get an HDX system. The HDX exchange program brings a lot of value - You can exchange an HD1 and an existing interface for a more powerful and better sounding HDX Omni System at $7999, or an HDX 8x8x8 System for $8999. This of course includes Pro Tools HD 10 software.

So your telling me, instead of paying the $1500 to upgrade my Pro tools HD 8 to Pro tools HD 10, I would pay 599$ for your support and receive the HD 10 upgrade for free after paying 599$?

Avid please make that more clear for us HD user that are in questions about your support route. Where do we sign up for this support and please tell us its 100% that once we sign up we get the HD 10 upgrade free! Because I have an HD 8 and paying 1500$ is not reasonable.

A lot of studios at this point would rather invest in studio outboard gears that WOULD improve sonic quality, rather then an upgrade that has a few new tricks which can still be achieved in your previous releases of pro tools. At This point, I've lost a lot of trust in Avid. Its going to take something to gain loyal customers back.

Please respond! Thanks
Old 10-21-2011, 08:10 AM

If this support plan is correct, it's great, but also bizarre, and just adds even more confusion to the mix.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
I predict killer deals in the not too distant future. Especially because Avid's stock has dropped from $22 to $7.15 within 9 months. They'll need to do something drastic to raise capital before their investors vote out the BOD.
Funny Ron, As I heard of that price-tag, I thought to myself, 'Wow, their stock MUST be doing really bad'

This price tag, to me, is like AVID is begging their user base to step up and drag 'em out of the mud.

Quote:
Personally I though they were following the "Apple" way of doing things with the outstanding job of hyping PT10 prior to the release but I feel they blew it big time at the last moment by setting the price far too high.

For the first time ever, I'm waiting. (Plus it's not 64 bit yet?)

Just my 2 cents.
Had they gone with a Price of 199 for upgrade and 499 for full; PT10 would have become a twister and sold insanely....

That said, I have been working with 10 for quite a while now and IMO is the best version they have ever made. Extremely smooth on Lion and all in all and that again IMO a fantastic software and first class DAW...

I am going to buy it...
Old 10-21-2011, 08:25 AM

I question the marketing sense of a company who would charge $1k for an update, full knowing that it will outrage a large portion of their clients and cause many of them not to update rather than charge something reasonable, getting everyone to upgrade to the software EVEN THOUGH IT LACKS 64 BIT COMPATIBILITY and make a poopload of money and earn good will. And yes I read that they couldn't make it 64 bit because of the old hardware to which many astutely replied that many companies have lately been releasing two version (32 AND 64 bit). Oh, and the purchase price of many of those programs is less than the upgrade price on the this. Seriously, they really need to restructure upper management at AVID and clean house. The idea of being in business is to make money. I believe that many of us HD users run our own businesses. But in my endeavor to make money, I understand that my clients simply won't pay $1000/hour no matter how much they love me. It's not reasonable for me to charge that as it's nowhere near my normal established fee and if I attempted to charge that, my clients would think I'd gone mad. I could try to tell them that they'll get more bang for their buck from me (as apparently a bang would also be in order at that price) but they'd tell me that the price is simply to high and find another vendor. Avid management should really have thought about that. It's no wonder the stock price is in the toilet and - after this - there's no sign of recovery on the horizon. Another bad decision on top of a heap of bad decisions.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:31 AM

I watched the webcast today, and while I did enjoy the new features, there were a few aspects that made me disappointed.

Here are a couple thoughts.

Apple. So, the App Store keeps track of all your apps, and all developers offer their apps on The App Store. When a developer updates his/her app, your phone automatically shows that there are app updates waiting for you. Enter your account password and voila!, all of your apps update.

Why can't the Plug-In world be like this? I have to employ a person for hours every couple of months to go through our systems to see if there are new versions of plugs. And yet, I can simply look down at my iPhone and it just does all the work for me in terms of keeping all of my apps updated. Constantly, 24/7/365.

Next issue...studios need to keep running every day. The thought of bumping to an entirely new plug-in structure frightens me, because I believe there may be endless problems in this large changeover, at least for a while. Because of this, I won't be upgrading anytime soon. If I ever do it, I'll want to know that the system is rock solid prior to doing it.

During the webcast, the programmer stressed at one point that the new system was a "hybrid" system, which took advantage of all possible resources, including the host CPU. Now, if I'm understanding this, this implies getting the most out of your Mac's CPU. And with the power of Mac CPU's today, you can already get tons more RTAS plugs in a session than TDM. So, does this new card actually bring 5x the power or are they just relying more on the host CPU, which most of us are doing today anyway? Hmmmm.

I'm also now wondering if I should bump *down* to a native system, as I'm becoming less convinced of the value of HD/HX/TDM. The new upgrade pricing of $299 vs $999-1499 will definitely make me look at all the options. Perhaps if you're Skywalker Sound you need/can afford the bump up, but will a lot of the main pro population take this opportunity to bump down to native? What are the advantages of maintaining the HD/HX system at this point? I'm really going to have to look into that.

I know there are a lot of aspects of ProTools, but MIDI still seems a bit like the bastard child. I see more and more people working in Ableton LIVE, Logic, even Garageband, and one of the reasons (aside from price) is their being able to use lots of cool new VST/AU software plugs and instruments...yet we PT users are a bit out in the cold unless we employ third party bridges. So, it slightly disappoints me that Digi is working towards getting us 500 tracks when instead, some of us would like a more stable environment for our VI's.

And, finally, we all know that we are in a very tough economy. And with this in mind, it's troubling me a bit that Digi just keeps releasing new products, as opposed to moving slower on upgrades and spending more time perfecting each release. I mean, PT8 only got up to like 8.1.x or something...then PT9 came out, and now, in what seems like a really short amount of time, PT10 is out. Many of us will be waiting quite a while prior to upgrading, but at that point, will we already be seeing PT11? I do realize that Digi can only make their money when there are products for people to buy. They don't make money (and in fact, LOSE money) when simply troubleshooting current releases. I do know that's a tough equation for any company to handle on an ongoing basis...

I'm always happy to see updates and upgrades; I'm just not sure that I'll be taking advantage of any of this for quite a while, unless I decide to bump down to native at this point. Going to have to explore all possibilities.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Gutnik View Post
You can exchange an HD1 and an existing interface for a more powerful and better sounding HDX Omni System at $7999, or an HDX 8x8x8 System for $8999.
Could someone point me where all those upgrade prices are published?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:43 AM

Oh, something I forgot to mention...

Along with the upgrading of PT, you know that every plug-in manufacturer is going to want to charge to go from TDM to the new AAX format.

So, don't forget to factor that in when looking at upgrading.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Only if you have the CPTK.
Is this really the case? And if it is, why isn't that listed on the comparison page? No mention at all there, if that is a difference it absolutely should be listed.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad jitter View Post
Could someone point me where all those upgrade prices are published?
Yeah really.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.