Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2006, 07:23 AM

Default Save Session Copy Issue.

Save Session Copy is not behaving like i think it used to for me today. i have a live show (36 658mb files) i have a master session with the whole show. i have sessions for each song i'm doing. (i'm not mixing them all) i'm now done and want to keep the songs i did here in case they ever need to be revisited and send the hard drive back to warners. so i open my song session, select unused and remove, and do a save copy. PT wants to copy all the big files instead of what i'm used to, copying only the parts this session needs. make sense? am i doing something wrong? i've done this thousands of times it seems.
drew

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:41 AM

Default Re: Save Session Copy Issue.

If unused regions are part of the big files but other used ones are part of the same big file, it won't be deleted. Your should remove unused regions, then select all regions left in your region list, then "compact selected" and put a good amount of "handle" (5,000 m/sec at least) then execute the command. But be careful, this is undoable

When this is done in your master session, it will be ok BUT if your other sessions are separate sessions(made after doing this) from your master session, there will be missing files while opening those sessions because they are referred(linked) to your master session.

You should have done this to your master session prior to making other sessions (if it is the way you've done them)

Sorry if the explanation seems unclear, english is not my language.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:59 AM

If i do what you say now i will delete audio used by other sessions.

i could have sworn in the past that PT would copy only the portions of the audio needed by the remaining regions in the sub session. guess not.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:57 AM

I'm pretty sure that "maxerg" is correct when he/she (Sorry I don't know) said that PT will copy all files because regions that are associated with those files are stillthe whole file. They are the same full files, just with markers added, so PT knows when and where to play those regions. SO, if you did indeed make regions on this live recording, hitting "select unused" will probably not do anything for you. Even if the regions were to be removed, if that's what you are removing, it would not free up a whole lot of memory since they are just markers. I think that's the way it works, but I am not going to say that I am certain about this.

Plus, I am still not sure what it was that you tried to remove exactly and exactly when and how the process went. I simply am assumng that you split the session up into multiple regions that constituted the different songs in the performance, and then you tried to get those reorganized for other seperate sessions. If that's the case, I guess you could consolidate each region and import that audio to tracks in new sessions, or drag and drop them into new sessions. I'm really fishing at this point, but hopefully this has been of some help. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
If unused regions are part of the big files but other used ones are part of the same big file, it won't be deleted. Your should remove unused regions, then select all regions left in your region list, then "compact selected"
NO!!!

That will remove the audio for his other sessions/songs!!!

DON'T DO THAT!!!

You want to CONSOLIDATE each song, then remove all unused playlists and unused tracks in the sessions and then select all unused and REMOVE the regions from the session... Then use Save Session Copy In... and elect to copy the audio files.

After doing this process for each song, unmount the drive with the original session and audio files -- then load each 'copied' session and confirm it opens.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 01-06-2006, 11:54 AM

Rail,
it's never worked the way i described? i know better than to do what he was suggesting.
drew

Old 01-06-2006, 11:57 AM

No -- it would always copy the complete sound files in that described scenario.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 01-06-2006, 12:06 PM

The way I do it is trim regions or files down to the length desired, then apply the Audiosuite Duplicate plug (with "make continuous files" selected) to those regions. This is effectively the same as consolidating, and will make new shorter audio files without deleting any files from your drive. Then you can clear unused regions and "Save As".
Old 01-06-2006, 12:19 PM

cool,thanks.