Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2004, 06:18 AM

Default I\'m torn....Rosetta200/UAD-1

All,

I am in the position where I find myself wanting to upgrade something on my PT rig. I can get either the UAD-1 studio pack or the Apogee Rosetta200. Here is my question:

Should I get the UAD-1 and have more processing power for higher quality plugins? Or, should I get the Rosetta200 based on the theory that you can mix better with less if you can get a better sound going in, a more steady clock, and a truer D/A?

I have the Waves Renaissane plugins and use them almost exclusively (in addition to Auto-Tune and some PARIS stuff). For conversion I am all stock with the 002r.

Im tending to lean towards the Rosetta....but man I've wanted a the UAD for a looooong time and have been putting it off for over a year.

What is the SMART move?

-s0nguy

Old 04-13-2004, 07:45 AM

Default Re: I\'m torn....Rosetta200/UAD-1

TRACK IN PARIS.

*smirk*

Screw the coverters and get the UAD for mixing.

-S

(btw... PT is up and running on the new PC, but I'm having some PARIS issues.... I'll post more about it over at greatidea...)
Old 04-13-2004, 07:53 AM

Quote:
TRACK IN PARIS.

*smirk*

Screw the coverters and get the UAD for mixing.

-S

(btw... PT is up and running on the new PC, but I'm having some PARIS issues.... I'll post more about it over at greatidea...)
If I track in PARIS and use PARIS for monitoring and final mixdown anyway.....why do I even need ProoTools?

-s0nguy
Old 04-14-2004, 05:09 AM

bumpity...
Old 04-14-2004, 01:44 PM

nikki-k....where are you?

-s0nguy
Old 04-14-2004, 03:27 PM

Personally, I would go for the Rosetta.

Good plugins are being released at a much quicker rate than even a year ago, and while the UAD-1 is a nice little package, you can do a lot with less expensive options (ie: Bomb Factory bundle, PSP Mix Pack + Vintage Warmer), besides, the Rennaisance bundle you already own is nothing to smirk at, so to me, this seems like a classic case of 'learn what you already have but learn it well and make it work for you'.

Converters will be a huge step forward in your mixing rather than 'another' plugin bundle can ever offer. Once you can clearly hear what went in, and more importantly, what comes out of your monitors, you'll realise that getting the best sound you can at the source is the key element to a good mix, followed by the arrangement. After that, you'll be more in tune with what needs eq and compression and where to apply - if at all.

Hearing what's really going on is key.
I wouldn't think twice about it, get the Rosetta.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Personally, I would go for the Rosetta.

Good plugins are being released at a much quicker rate than even a year ago, and while the UAD-1 is a nice little package, you can do a lot with less expensive options (ie: Bomb Factory bundle, PSP Mix Pack + Vintage Warmer), besides, the Rennaisance bundle you already own is nothing to smirk at, so to me, this seems like a classic case of 'learn what you already have but learn it well and make it work for you'.

Converters will be a huge step forward in your mixing rather than 'another' plugin bundle can ever offer. Once you can clearly hear what went in, and more importantly, what comes out of your monitors, you'll realise that getting the best sound you can at the source is the key element to a good mix, followed by the arrangement. After that, you'll be more in tune with what needs eq and compression and where to apply - if at all.

Hearing what's really going on is key.
I wouldn't think twice about it, get the Rosetta.
Thanks....Im glad to see someone respond to this (no offense Seth ). I will wait around for the Rosetta 200 to come out.....by then I might have enough to get HD......

-s0nguy