Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2004, 01:46 PM

Default pulling my hair out over taking pc sessions to mac

i've posted this in the pc forum as well hoping to get someone thats run into this problem.

i've searched and read all kinds of threads on transferring sessions but they all seem to only deal with "how to" and "what drives".

the problem i have is that when i create a session on my pc in PT LE 6.4, i always start with the "enforce mac/pc" switch on. then when im done with the session i do a "save session copy in" with the swith activated as well. i then save the copied session either on a cd or ext. HD and then go to my publisher which has a PT TDM Mix system running OS9 and version 5.1.3. i will drag the session copy over to the mac HD and then open the folder after it has copied. the session icon looks like the icon for a text or unknown document. i double click it and it just brings up the dialog box"unknown file type". i open up PT and go to "file"> "open session" then navigate to the folder with my copied session and click on the session icon. PT starts to open with the usual"disk allocation" warning, then whe it gets to the registering audio section it stops and opens a dialog asking me to locate EVERY peice of audio in the song WTF!? please tll me there is something small im doing wrong or a version imcompatibilty cause this is dumb if thats digi's idea of being compatible.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

[url=www.myspace.com/chuckbutlermusic[/url]
Old 05-25-2004, 06:13 PM

Default Re: pulling my hair out over taking pc sessions to mac

I pity you having to deal with OS 9. I don't mean to sound like a prick or anything, but tell your publisher to update his operating system! OS 9 is dead and has been for quite awhile now. Having not touched a Mac that wasn't running OS X in 2 years, I'm afraid I can't be of any direct help with this dillema, but you may want to try out some of the following forums for possible help:

http://www.macmusic.org/agora/forums/
http://www.osxaudio.com/forums/
http://www.protoolsusers.org./forums.htm

Good luck my man.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:57 AM

Default Re: pulling my hair out over taking pc sessions to

Hi There,
I used to work with PC and Mac. There are some issues with the file trasnfer between the two plataforms:

-Be sure that PC files are no longer than 27 Characters;
-Be sure that the Pt file extension is .PTS;
-If copying from cd be sure to Unlock all files ( READ+WRITE instead of READ ONLY option on file INFO - command+I on mac)
-Be sure to check " Copy all audio files" when doing "Save session copy session in" on PC

If nothing helps try a turn around method:

Open a new session on your publisher computer and then inport all your session track to the new session. Use "Import Session Data" and be sure to check " copy from source media" on "Audio media options" box.

It should work.

Another radical solution , buy Mac and forget PC!!!

Regards

Iuri
Old 05-27-2004, 10:16 AM

It probably is the locked file preference. When you copy from CD, I think Mac copies the properties too. That fixed it for me once.

If all else fails, you can display the time in the regions and manually take the files from the list and put them back in OR if your track count isn't too high, my last resort has been bouncing each track to disk from beginning to end, creating a new session and then reimporting the files to track. It's a good way to archive anyway if that's any consolation.

PITA!
Old 05-27-2004, 03:42 PM

I answered this on the PC side.. his issue is he didn't have the Joliet extension loaded for long file name support under Mac OS.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••