Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2004, 08:45 AM

Default Re: Scrub Wheel or Jog Wheel for PT

Quote:
Why does anyone scrub or jog? Isn't it easier to just click the mouse where you want to go? Scrubbing is entirely too difficult to control and in this age of no tapes, it seems archaic and kludgy....
I guess it depends on what you use PT for.
The mouse is not precise enough....sure you can click to the general area but to get right where you need it, without zooming in, it's pretty cludgy itself.
If you find your self constantly moving the mouse back and forth across the screen to click buttons in PT, zoom in, zoom out, advance one frame at a time....whatever it is....the ShuttlePRO can be configured for any of those tasks as well as simple play, stop, RW, FF, RTZ, go to end...etc etc....all at your fingertips.

If you have ever used one and not purchased it right away...or can't see the benefits, then you don't need it. You can wear your wrist and mouse pad out.
But if you work in radio, video or any area where you are back and forth across the screen, always on the keyboard using Command, Shift, Option or Control clicking, this piece is for you.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:11 PM

I guess the stuff I've done was always to a click, so I'm in grid mode all the time.

My main problem with the shuttle pro and pro tools is that a) everything I need the keyboard for cannot be put on the shuttle (not enough buttons!) and b) Pro Tools has an embarassingly bad lack of keyboard shortcuts for things (and/or way to figure out the shortcuts; the shortcut guide is NOT complete). For example, I frequently want to enable/disable pre-roll, but have to find the transport window and click on the pre-roll thing. Better yet, have a play button that uses pre-roll and one that doesn't! (or, use pre-roll only for recording, because who uses it for just playback?)

Also, there is no way to _pause_ without setting the global option that the playback head stays where you stop it. Without that global option set, scrubbing is useless.

AND, there is no way to go to the next marker. I use markers all over the place for navigation, and going to the next/previous marker is very useful (as opposed to going to the marker by number, which you, of course, cannot configure or change once it's created, AND all markers use the name number-space, so marker 2 is a location, marker 3 is a selection, etc. Retarded)

002R/PTLE 7.3.1
Old 05-06-2004, 08:04 PM

I own and use a Griffin Powermate (mentioned above) with Final Cut Express, and it works great for shuttling/scrubbing through frames. In addition, I use it for scrubbing in Pro Tools as well without a hitch. The click + turn is a little tricky at first, but you quickly get the hang of it. It comes with a lovely Preference Pane installer that is preconfigured for use with a lot of apps, and its a piece of cake to configure your own settings for any application you use.

For the pricepoint and its coolness, I think the Powermate is a fine addition to an LE setup. The Contour controllers are clearly the choice for serious editing needs though.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:24 PM

Quote:
For the pricepoint and its coolness, I think the Powermate is a fine addition to an LE setup. The Contour controllers are clearly the choice for serious editing needs though.
Well put.
For Cool Factor alone....the PowerMate is a required addition. There are a number of utilities to make the PM light glow brighter or dimmer based on processor utilization and other things. There are clear and translucent bases that you can buy to enhance the glow...
Talk about your Mackie Big Knob....
Makes a great volume knob....instead of trying to find the volume adjust on the keyboard or using the mouse for system volume....
Old 05-07-2004, 06:01 PM

I forgot to mention...key recording software and general all around cool app....
QuicKeys X2
Record Key combos and play them back at will....
Can be launched from the ShuttlePRO AFAIK.
Pretty soon.....you won't even need to get dressed....just phone it in....