Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2004, 09:56 PM

Default MBox Noise ...

I was VERY close to making a purchase on an MBox, but after reading all of the threads on the hissing, crackling, and popping that it makes (for WHATEVER reason), I've decided to hold out and keep looking. It appears as though there is no fix for this and that Digidesign hasn't made any efforts to correct it. So now what? ... that was really within my budget, but if I can't get a clean recording, well ... what's the use? SO how about the Digi 001? Any noise problems with THIS unit? Is it XP compatable? And what's the latest version software I should be looking for?

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2004, 10:16 PM

Default Re: MBox Noise ...

i do not know of any hiss or anything like that with 001. im pretty sure for xp you will need pt 6.1. and make sure your chipset and such is compatible with pt le.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:41 PM

There shouldn't be ANY issues with noise and the Mbox on WinXP - as long as you have Service Pack 1 installed.

There have been certain computers that output noise down their USB port - this is because the computers are built poorly, not because of any issues with the Mbox.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:22 PM

Noise from USB? Yeah thats what I'm gettin'....is there a solution? I have a brand new laptop, wouldn't expect the computer to be considered 'poorly built'
Old 01-13-2004, 06:02 PM

Default Re: MBox Noise ...help me too my noise is worse

here is my problem with mbox 80 percent of the time its on it emits a horrible distorted ring modulated typed sound so like you can turn the direct /playback knob all the way to the left and my inputs(mic) sounds fine turn it to right and the whole processed sound is screwed up man!!hehe but now it doesnt do it all the time some times it stops and it will sound perfect other than the high pitch whine u guys are talkin bout(thats a usb issue u cant fix it guitar port does it too)But this bad sound is something that renders mbox virtually useless to me. Its like you can change the hardware buffer and for just a second the sound might go away but it comes right back with any H/w buffer size. I have tried it on another pc and had the problem too so any help u guys can give would be appreciated:)
Old 01-23-2004, 03:55 PM

You know, it is pretty pathetic of Digidesign not to address this issue.

The fact that they pretend that a hardware design flaw in one of their products doesn't exist pisses me off.

Shame on you Digi!
Old 01-23-2004, 09:38 PM

i had the same issues. i bought a brand new dell 4600. 1 gig of ram, p4 2.66, the works. i had to buy an extra USB card just for the mbox, then i had a grounding issue, so i fixed it. now my electric is clean, but my acoustic has static. i think its the acoustic. anyways, you might make sure you have a good ground at the outlet, and a usb card just for the mbox. just a shot.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:07 AM

I have the same problem (hissing) with the allenstein machine (and don't see how it could be poorly built), but it's very low (you can't hear it on the headphone, only on the main output), an it dissapear with good symetry (so it seems to come from the link between the mbox and the mixer).
Old 01-24-2004, 02:31 PM

Just for the record, I am actually am a Mac user (see my sig), and there is no explaination other than faulty craftsmanship in the MBox itself for this defect. I only state this because of the USB card comment made in the previous post. Shame on you Digi
Old 01-24-2004, 03:20 PM

While I am not a real strong advocate for Digi, in my opinion the Mbox system and PT 6.0.2 is way too system demanding, I do have to add that when my MBox and PT is up and running it is very quite. The only time I have had a noise problem is when I forgot to disable all the hardware componets(network card, sound card, game port, CD drive, modem etc.) when I run PT. Actually, my experience is that the network and sound cards have to be disabled to get error free operation on my system. It seems to me that the problem is always compatibility with this equipment.

Dan
MBox /PT not supported under Win7 - I didn't leave PT, PT left me!
11/30/2009 - MBox, REAPER

http://www.jazzmandan.com