Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2023, 06:07 PM

Default Whole step shift Created Artifacts with Melodyne ARA. Bug?

I'm editing a vocal and I shifted a few notes a whole step. Those notes sound like a robot when playing back. The 1/2 steps (and below) moves sound natural as expected. I've used Melodyne in the past and would experience this on larger leaps (say a 4th or 5th). Any ideas what's happening?

I wondered if this was a bug or if I needed to move from 24/48 to 24/96? Thoughts? Also, my microphone is a u87ai and my preamp is the Carbon's.
Old 07-30-2023, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Whole step shift Created Artifacts with Melodyne ARA. Bug?

The ARA problems are too many to numerate here. Use the plugin for now until it's fixed.
Old 08-01-2023, 12:06 AM

Ok, I thought it was something I did Lol
Old 08-01-2023, 08:51 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedavis View Post
I'm editing a vocal and I shifted a few notes a whole step. Those notes sound like a robot when playing back. The 1/2 steps (and below) moves sound natural as expected. I've used Melodyne in the past and would experience this on larger leaps (say a 4th or 5th). Any ideas what's happening?

I wondered if this was a bug or if I needed to move from 24/48 to 24/96? Thoughts? Also, my microphone is a u87ai and my preamp is the Carbon's.
Hi! I've already created a case for you for our team to address. The case number is 04660938. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2023, 08:58 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
The ARA problems are too many to numerate here. Use the plugin for now until it's fixed.
Hi! If you are experiencing any issues with ARA Melodyne integration, please feel free to create a case with us. It helps us be aware of the major issues so we can be aware of them. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2023, 11:23 AM

Here are the extensive existing threads detailing the numerous problems for any Avid Tech Support crew who may not know about what's going on with Melodyne and ARA. The ever-helpful Avid crew member Marianna chimed in several times, so I'm fairly certain that those technical people who needed to be aware of the problems are already informed.

Pro Tools 2022.9 "Saving ARA Data" (17-page Thread)
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=421786

Default Everyone stop using ARA right now (6-page Thread)
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=425036

Last edited by Tweakhead; 08-01-2023 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-01-2023, 04:22 PM

I wouldn't be so quick to point the finger at ARA - while it does still seem to have some issues (and I've reported some of them), they're in file handling - not in this kind of thing. The first thing to try would be to try the same thing with the plug-in version; if it fixes it, then you *may* have an ARA issue and you should report it, but if it's the same then it's either a Celemony issue or something with your audio source.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 09-05-2023, 07:32 PM

So I have an update on this. I own the latest Editor version of Melodyne and when using that version I had the artifacts I mentioned. For some reason, I wanted to see what would happen with the Studio version. I installed (or whatever I did Lol) the trial and sure enough, no problems whatsoever. No artifacts on my vocals, no issues reopening sessions later and it sounding different. Melodyne ARA worked as expected. My question to the people experiencing issues is what edition of Melodyne are you using? Maybe Studio has something working that the others don't. Maybe it's just my system.

Also, I must give Avid Support a shout-out on this. They contacted me directly to try and resolve this, but I was under a deadline and the problem disappeared using the Studio edition. Let's see if it comes back when my license reverts back to the Editor version.